Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting to Apple lossless in foobar (Read 12854 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting to Apple lossless in foobar

Thanks verbajim 

but it seems foobar2000 converts only in lossy format vbr or cbr.. not in in apple Lossless (alac) !
What are the settings under foobar2000 ? 

I anwer to myself or others interested

Foobar's Converter settings (File > Preferences), you can specify in for your output files to be given the m4a extension instead of mp4.

Under Encoding Presets select "Add New", then in the dialog box select "MP4 (Nero)". Then SELECTING AGAIN, choose Custom. Now you'll see all the current parameters for the "MP4 (Nero)" preset, including the command line parameters lossy or lossless. Here's where you can change the extension to M4A; you can also save the settings as a new preset if you want under the "Display Info" groupbox at the bottom.

Last question but not least :
What is the command line for converting in apple lossless ?
the default parameters are :
Code: [Select]
-q 1.00 -ignorelength -if - -of %d

Reply #1
Unfortunately there's no command line to convert to Apple Lossless because it's not possible with Nero AAC, it can only convert to AAC. I don't know any way to make Apple Lossless with Foobar2000, only dBpoweramp or iTunes.

But that's a good tip to change the extension to M4A, though.

Reply #2
Can't you just use intunesencode with foobar to convert to Apple Lossless?

Reply #3
Ah yes, you're right of course!

Just download iTunesEncode.exe (it requires you to have iTunes installed).

And then set up a custom encoder in Foobar with these parameters (found in the thread iTunes Encode and foobar2000):
-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist%" -l "%album%" -t "%title%" -g "%genre%" -y %date% -n %tracknumber% -d -i %s -o %d

If you need more tags there is a list in the documentation of iTunesEncode.

Edit:
It seems to me that all tags are carried over automatically, so maybe you only need to use this command line?:
-e "Lossless Encoder" -d -i %s -o %d