Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Car Audio to Home Theater Conversion Question(s) (Read 1902 times) previous topic - next topic

Car Audio to Home Theater Conversion Question(s)

I have two Kicker 6x9's.  They are the older DX69's.  They are comparable to the DS693's.  Here are the necessary specs for those who know better than I do.

Sensitivity:                              92 dB at 1 watt

Frequency Response:              30 - 20k Hz

RMS Power Range (Watts):      2 - 70

Peak Power Handling (Watts):  140   

Impedance (Ohms):                  4

Will this product meet this need to create a Left-Right Channel / Stereo setup for a small home theater audio system?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16882180022

The speakers have the standard Red and Black / Positive and Negative Input slots.  As with most car audio, it will need exposed wire inserted into these slots.  What more will I need?  For example will I need a specific type of speaker wire?  I'm not sure how to go about doing this.  The reason I want to go this route is to save a little money by keeping my purchases to a minimum and to improve the audio experience over what the HDTV speakers provide.

Any help is greatly appreciated, 

Wayland

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/...py/Speakers.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/...NegPosSlots.jpg

I hope this helps.

Reply #1
Technically, they'll work just fine, and any old wire will do.  Since you're not going to be running very far (into another room, for example), and you're not looking at a lot of power, plain 18-gauge zip cord - sometimes called lamp cord - will work just fine.  You should be able to find it by the foot at any hardware/home improvement store if you don't have some already.

From a sound quality standpoint, since car speakers are designed to be used in a relatively small acoustic space, they may sound bass-shy when used in a home environment.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
I agree...  You are going to build speaker cabinets, right?  Even if you were to buy the speakers and build cabinets, you'll probably end-up with better-sounding speakers than you could buy pre-made for the same price.    I'm pretty sure they will sound better than the speakers in your flat-screen TV.

If you are interested in this stuff, you might want to pick-up a book on speaker building, even if you don't want to get too serious about this project.

The cabinet interacts with the speaker (driver) to determine bass response.  Without a cabinet, the sound waves from the back of the speaker leak-around and cancel the waves from the front, especially at low frequencies, killing the bass.    In general, a bigger cabinet will result in more bass.      In a normal auto-installation, the trunk acts as a nice big speaker box and you can get pretty-good bass from a pair of 6x9's.

You are probably better-off building a sealed cabinet, but you can experiment with a ported design if you wish.  If the port gives you poor results, you can always block it off. 

A properly-designed ported-box can often give the best performance  (by, basically delaying the reversed-waves from the rear, so that they are in-phase and reinforce, rather than cancel the waves from the front.)    But, ported cabinet design is tricky and a badly designed ported-cabinet can give you either weak bass, or boomy one-note bass.

Usually, speaker cabinets (especially ported cabinets) are designed using the Thiele/Small parameters for the particular driver and software.  The problem is that manufacturers of "regular" car speakers rarely publish the Thiele/Small parameters.    (They can be measured, but it takes some equipment.)

...plain 18-gauge zip cord - sometimes called lamp cord - will work just fine.
The wire should be "polarized" (marked) so that "red" or "+" from the amp goes to "red" or "+" on the speakers.  The speakers will work just fine if the connections are reversed, but the left & right speakers need to "work together" (in-phase), so that they both "push-out" at the same time and "pull-in" at the same time.  If the speakers are out-of-phase, the sound waves will cancel (especially the bass) and you'll get some strange "spacey" effects...  Fun to play with, but not so good for accurate sound reproduction.