Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: terrible ringing in cd (Read 4097 times) previous topic - next topic

terrible ringing in cd

Last year I bought an album by a band called Evanescence... awesome band, awesome album... but recently, they released a new single from the album, but they redid it... I really loved this new version of My Immortal, so I went out and bought the single tonight... it was pretty inexpensive.

To my dismay, I can hear a horrible ringing during some parts of the song, and it really bothers my ears. Especially since it reminds me of my occasional Tinninitis

I have a very short clip from the song, and I'm hoping somebody can help me pinpoint which frequencies the ringing is occuring on, to help me remove them. I'm using Linux, and I can't for the life of me find a spectrum analyzer to help me do it myself. I figure I can filter out those frequencies using low/highpasses using sox.

Any opinions?

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #1
There are two distinct & intermittent bands, the first at ~4450Hz and the second at ~5300Hz.

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #2
Looks like there's two offending frequencies at 4.44 kHz and 5.275 kHz.

In Cool Edit, if I use super narrow notch filters with 70 dB attenuation I can remove a lot of the ringing.  I uploaded the notched file.

ff123

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #3
I was able to boot up windows and get the demo version of GoldWave... I used the notch filters you suggested in the parametric EQ filter option of that program... i couldn't get them any narrower than 20Hz though. How narrow were you able to get them in CoolEdit?

I looked for a demo of CoolEdit, but since moving over to Adobe Audition, I don't think a demo is available anymore...

Thanks so much for your help!

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #4
I was able to boot up windows and get the demo version of GoldWave... I used the notch filters you suggested in the parametric EQ filter option of that program... i couldn't get them any narrower than 20Hz though. How narrow were you able to get them in CoolEdit?

I looked for a demo of CoolEdit, but since moving over to Adobe Audition, I don't think a demo is available anymore...

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know how narrow the filters are, but the ultimate test is to listen to what it produces.  You'll know if the notch filters are too wide because the music will sound different.

ff123

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #5
i find a handy solution to notch filtering is to create the filter that sounds best, then apply it to a dirac pulse (drag 1 sample up to fullscale), then use the result (shortened as much as possible, to about 512 samples, or whatever window length the filter used) in foobar2000's convolver.

really handy for careless recordings that have TV pilot tones in them. (or in the case of the Cat Empire's CD, they notch filtered the wrong tone!  NTSC instead of PAL, so i had to go through it and filter again...)

terrible ringing in cd

Reply #6
i find a handy solution to notch filtering is to create the filter that sounds best, then apply it to a dirac pulse (drag 1 sample up to fullscale), then use the result (shortened as much as possible, to about 512 samples, or whatever window length the filter used) in foobar2000's convolver.

really handy for careless recordings that have TV pilot tones in them. (or in the case of the Cat Empire's CD, they notch filtered the wrong tone!  NTSC instead of PAL, so i had to go through it and filter again...)

Maybe I don't understand you, but this seems like it will get rid of a constant tone... the ringing in this sample is quite random... it doesn't occur throughout the entire song (or it doesn't seem to, at least).

I looked around using google to find out if anybody had done something to fix this track before... it seems like everyone had just learned to live with it. Some people simply changed their cell phone ringer so they don't think they're receiving a call while listening to the song    Sorry, that's not a solution.

The reason I asked about the width of the notch filters was because I did think the song sounded different, but it turns out that was because my broken headphone -> rca cable was only outputting to the left speaker again. and since my stereo is on the left side of the room, and the computer on the right, i didn't notice it until later. I listened to both songs anyway, and determined that they sounded the same and it was just my imagination.

and writing this message to a bunch of audio experts made me ashamed about my busted cable, so I just went around the house and found some replacements