Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Should i buy Jam or Sport? (Read 2004 times) previous topic - next topic

Should i buy Jam or Sport?

So, i decided to buy a SanDisk MP3 Player and found out that there a lot of models. I made some research and found out that most people go on with Jam or Sport, so i was looking on reviews and comparison between them. Surprisingly, most people say that they're both the same, only the display and the battery differ. I got really confused by that because i don't understand what's new in Jam version ? Why should i buy it ?

And aswell some people said that the quality of Jam and Sport is lower than the Clip one.. Is it true ?

Please guys, i just want to understand which one should fit me better ? I mainly want the one with the best sound quality.. Can you help me clear my confusion ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Should i buy Jam or Sport?

Reply #1
I have a couple of clip+ ones, and a sport. clip+ is a legend. If i was in search for a mp3 player today, i'd look for clip+, second hand even, before anything else. There's also rockbox available for it.

I have no idea about Jam, but looking at product specs and pictures, it seems to be pretty much the same as Sport. But sport is listed as having 25h battery life, while Jam is only 18h. Solely on that I'd go with the Sport.

Regarding quality, i don't want to make any claims, but iirc clip+ sounded better for me with rockbox than Sport.

PS. clip+ with rockbox was about 25h (mp3/flac) battery lifetime as well, although if you get it second hand, that might be lower

Reply #2
Surprisingly, most people say that they're both the same...

...I mainly want the one with the best sound quality
It's pretty easy to build a headphone amplifier that's better than human hearing so I'd expect most audio players & phones to sound identical (in a proper, blind, level-matched, listening test).

Some might have more noise than others and if the noise is audible that's obviously a "difference".  And, some will go louder before clipping/distortion, and some may have frequency-response variations with low impedance headphones.  

And of course, and equalization will change the sound so you may have a preference for the equalizer built into a particular unit.

Reply #3
I have a couple of clip+ ones, and a sport. clip+ is a legend. If i was in search for a mp3 player today, i'd look for clip+, second hand even, before anything else. There's also rockbox available for it.

I have no idea about Jam, but looking at product specs and pictures, it seems to be pretty much the same as Sport. But sport is listed as having 25h battery life, while Jam is only 18h. Solely on that I'd go with the Sport.

Regarding quality, i don't want to make any claims, but iirc clip+ sounded better for me with rockbox than Sport.

PS. clip+ with rockbox was about 25h (mp3/flac) battery lifetime as well, although if you get it second hand, that might be lower

So, if you would need to by another one, would you upgrade to Sport/Jam, or buy another clip+?

Reply #4
Sport and Jam are some cheap OEM player that Sandisk licensed and resells. They are indeed much worse than the old clip and fuze products, but as a simple light mp3 player they're probably fine.