Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Header Info (Read 6058 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Header Info

Hi there!

Could someone please download this file and do some testing on it: MP3 Header Info.
The ZIP file contains only the pre-alpha of the EXE. No source code at the moment. 

The actual DLL I am working on supports a lot more features than the EXE is currently using. I only want to see if the times are and the basic information are returned correctly before I go on and implement LAME header support. Please test the file with CBR files and VBR files (both headers supported - Xing/Info and VBRI).

I still need some help with detecting SCFSI and SCALEFAC_Scale, so if anyone could explain me how these values are stored, I would be very glad.

Best regards,
Sebastian Mares

MP3 Header Info

Reply #1
looks interesting, I'll try it out after my exams are done in a few days.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

MP3 Header Info

Reply #2
Please test it with different MPEG layers, bitrates, sampling rates and channel modes guys. I had problems with an MPEG 2.5 file which looked like this:

MPEG 2.5 Layer III
Bitrate: 160
Sampling Rate: 8000 Hz
Channel Mode: Stereo

Winamp, Windows Media Player... didn't even play the file. They reported it as "bad MP3". The mp3PRO Winamp plugin works with the file.
Anyway, the problem should be fixed by now.

MP3 Header Info

Reply #3
Well, I have this MP1 file which was encoded by Lame, according to the info.

Also, an MP3pro file is guessed as lame.

Aside that, worked fine on my weird files test suite.

MP3 Header Info

Reply #4
 I have to specify that layer I files can't be LAME. Do you know any MP1 encoder?
I will try to add mp3PRO support too (limited). The guys at mp3PROZone want to send me some documentation in the next weeks. If any of you already know how to identify mp3PROs, tell it.

BTW, can "normal" MP3s encoded by FhG be MPEG 2(.5), or does FhG support only MPEG 1?

MP3 Header Info

Reply #5
I have to specify that layer I files can't be LAME. Do you know any MP1 encoder?

Sure. Lots of them.

Uzura1, wav2mp, Xing tompg, SoloH, SCMPX...

BTW, can "normal" MP3s encoded by FhG be MPEG 2(.5), or does FhG support only MPEG 1?

They can.

Regards;

Roberto.

MP3 Header Info

Reply #6

Sure. Lots of them.

Uzura1, wav2mp, Xing tompg, SoloH, SCMPX...

How can I distinguish them?

They can.

Sorry, my fault. Here is what I ment: "BTW, can "normal" VBR MP3s encoded by FhG be MPEG 2(.5), or does FhG support only MPEG 1?"

MP3 Header Info

Reply #7
Just corrected a bug with MPEG 2 Layer II files. Wrong duration was reported. I will have to test it using tooLAME, too.
Anyway, the next release will also contain the source code, too.

NOTE: The ActiveX will only return information found inside the firsr header! There might be a "pro" version (freeware), too, which will parse all frames and report sync errors...