Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LP to CD Conversion (Read 29118 times) previous topic - next topic

LP to CD Conversion

Reply #25
This has been a real fun thread.  I love the discussion of direct drive turntables.  My Sony is vintage 80s direct drive and made of plastic, except for the platter and tone arm.  I am extremely pleased with it because it will even track warped records.

I did put together another page that talks about LPs at

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

for whatever it may be worth???   

LP to CD Conversion

Reply #26
I have an Akai DD c. late 80's with I think a replacement cartridge that I think was nothing special at the time but ok.  Only thing is I've always had this problem with certain records where the treble gets a lot of stuff added on top of it and sounds awful.

Can anyone tell me a method for aligning the cartridge?  Should I get a new cartridge - it's been a while...

Thanks.
<<optimali>>

LP to CD Conversion

Reply #27
This has been a real fun thread.  I love the discussion of direct drive turntables.  My Sony is vintage 80s direct drive and made of plastic, except for the platter and tone arm.  I am extremely pleased with it because it will even track warped records.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287010"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes!!  . I have an old Pioneer PL-300, which is direct drive with quartz.
I don't change it by anything. He works perfect

LP to CD Conversion

Reply #28
I was looking for a stylus for my dad this weekend and found that Radio Shack sells a couple of items of interest.

One is a combination turntable, mm cartridge, and pre-amp for $100. Available in stores only, not online.

Of greater interest is a standalone battery operated pre-amp for $25. The downside is that the pre-amp does not appear to be available at any stores around me. It was of interest because it is inexepensive and allows connection of a turntable to a soundcard without a "big" preamp or receiver. Why is of such great interest is that it caused me to type "phono preamp" into Amazon's product search and they've got quite a collection starting at $15. With diminishing returns, you probably get what you pay for, but most folks wouldn't pass an ABX comparing an original master to a $2500 preamp and then a $40 one, IMHO. (I don't think either on is gonna sound like the master, which is what the recording engineer intended for you to hear - allowing for the practice of tweaking masters that they knew were going to go to vinyl only).

If you're picky, you probably will not be happy with the turntable combo.

I got my Dad a new Shure M97xE from Amazon for $56. It's better than the cartridge he had.

Mark

LP to CD Conversion

Reply #29
Isn't it amazing how much new equipment is available to support an audio format that was supposed to be dead a decade ago?

Compare that with formats that really did manage to die (like 8-track tapes or wax cylinders) and it makes you wonder just how long vinyl can survive as a niche product?

As long as there are indie bands, mix DJs and audiophiles who prefer vinyl.

It's good for me - what would I and other record collectors do if you couldn't buy new styli?

Cheers,
David.