Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Illegal filename characters replacement (Read 13443 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Illegal filename characters replacement

Reply #25
Thank you Case for your nice extra components. I will look into your suggestion, but I still think I have to rename files manually if I choose to work around this fb2k’s limitation, because the extra files I have (lyrics, album covers, artist images) need to be modified at the same time to stay compatible.

Reply #26
any reason why use editable drop-down box for file ext and normalizer?

Reply #27
To maintain an edit history, so you can quickly change the options to one or more previously used settings. At least, that would be the reason to use an editable drop-down. I only assume it has that because that seems to be what you're saying. Sorry for trying to give an answer on software I haven't had the opportunity to use yet.

Reply #28
The pattern list has editable dropdown with history as intented, but the two other dropdowns were supposed to be just for switching between predefined settings. I was very tired yesterday and missed a lot of things, like the extra backslash in front of the question mark on the same preferences page and some important words from other people's posts. Fixed version uploaded.

Reply #29
hi Case, possible to have it reload info after rename? thanks

Reply #30
I'm sure it is, I actually asked Peter a bit earlier about proper way to handle it. Perhaps my playlist altering method is flawed as the player loses track of the metadata in anything but autoplaylists.

I just posted a new version with some improvements but no playlist refresh fix yet.

The results of the rename operation are now shown on the opened dialog screen. Makes it easy to see if there are errors.

The component should now handle all the reserved names and take into account file system component length limits. Empty filename is replaced with string "(empty)", reserved names get zero width space appended to them making them legal and still accessible with all programs.

The component length limit affects all file systems, for example NTFS allows full paths to be over 32000 characters long but individual directories and filename+extension can't exceed 255 characters. Now the components are truncated if necessary and ellipsis character marks the truncation.

Reply #31
New version uploaded that reloads info for files after rename. Probably not the most efficient way but other interfaces looked too demanding.

Reply #32
Thanks for update. Something popup a lot and so quick when renaming a lot of file.

Reply #33
I received some code from Peter that handles the update notifications more efficiently. New version with those improvements is up.

Reply #34
Thanks, Case, it's perfect. :)

Reply #35
Hi. I saw that this component was updated recently...

Was hoping to find a solution to be able to rename my audio files (using my current foobar2000 'tags' / 'formatting' syntax) in a manner that satisfies both windows and mac path and filename requirements. Able to incorporate such a feature into this plugin?

Reply #36
Mac has less naming restrictions than Windows, but all characters that are illegal on Mac are also illegal on Windows. Starting dot will hide files on Mac so that option is best kept off for that system.
It seems HFS+ filesystem wants files in Unicode normalization form D. Is that what you meant, you want ability to output names in Unicode normalization form D? Or did you mean something else entirely?

Reply #37
What I'm looking for is to be able to use Foobar2000 to manage my collection, on Windows, and on Mac, without Foobar2000 changing the path/name according to which system I am currently on (collection on a cloud storage, synced to the Win/Mac computer).

I believe that if Foobar2000 comes across a character in the tags (say in the Title) that it cannot use in the path/filename, it replaces that character (I think maybe with an underscore [maybe that is configurable]). And these characters which are replaced change according to what system FB2k is run on I think.

More specifically, I have a FB2k portable running off cloud storage. I can open this Fb2K on windows like normal, and the same version wrapped in Wine package on Mac.
My collection is used in 3rd party software (e.g. DJ software) which relies on the filepath/name not changing.