Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Building a great audio system (Read 24757 times) previous topic - next topic

Building a great audio system

Reply #25
A flat response means the speaker is, in at least this capacity, neutral in regards to frequency response. This allows you to use a high precision DSP E.Q. to adjust the speaker response to your ideal preference(s). If a speaker is not flat to begin with, E.Q.ing as an end-user is not going to be nearly as effective because you will have pre-existing coloration(s)/deviation(s) that will always be present to begin with.

Are software EQs such as the one in iTunes effective for this purpose? How can I adjust these speakers for the most "immersive" experience?

Reply #26
A flat response means the speaker is, in at least this capacity, neutral in regards to frequency response. This allows you to use a high precision DSP E.Q. to adjust the speaker response to your ideal preference(s). If a speaker is not flat to begin with, E.Q.ing as an end-user is not going to be nearly as effective because you will have pre-existing coloration(s)/deviation(s) that will always be present to begin with.

Are software EQs such as the one in iTunes effective for this purpose? How can I adjust these speakers for the most "immersive" experience?

Sorry, the vast majority of these EQs are imprecise and do not allow the level of control required for fine tuning. They provide a very crude/rough tonal adjustment ability. It would be by pure chance, I believe, if you happened to achieve optimal response by using one of these.

BTW, here is an example of standard EQ vs. a precision DSP hardware unit, that I measured/graphed for clear illustration of the situation: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showp...mp;postcount=29

BTW, jn addition to being woefully insufficient for precise adjustments, many software EQs also induce distortion when you use too much gain on a slider/adjustment.

-Chris

Reply #27
chris, thanks for your tests, i'll keep looking for a desktop replacement.

Reply #28
Ok, I have a question about how I would integrate the DCX2496 into my system. Should I be using the receiver to decode the audio to its analog outputs and connect the DCX to the receiver's analog inputs? This method would require the DCX to convert from A-D then back to D-A. Would this additional conversion audibly degrade the sound? Is this the best way to integrate the device?

Also, I need a USB/Firewire device to output the digital audio to the receiver. It should support pass-thru of AC-3/DTS. Can you recommend one?

Reply #29
Ok, I have a question about how I would integrate the DCX2496 into my system. Should I be using the receiver to decode the audio to its analog outputs and connect the DCX to the receiver's analog inputs? This method would require the DCX to convert from A-D then back to D-A. Would this additional conversion audibly degrade the sound? Is this the best way to integrate the device?

I personally use the analog inputs on the DCX, even though my source is usually digital. It does not degrade audio by any degree enough to be anywhere near audible; if I had any suspicion of degradation in any way relevant to hearing - I would not do it. But you should use whatever method is most satisfactory to you - you might have OCD and it might bother the heck out of you for no real reason for all I know.

Also, I need a USB/Firewire device to output the digital audio to the receiver. It should support pass-thru of AC-3/DTS. Can you recommend one?
I don't have any recommendations for such products.

-Chris

Reply #30
First post!

I'd like to throw in my reccomendation for the 2030p (not like it matters, since you've already chosen them).  I'm the lucky kid who managed to stumble upon the diamond that is the 2030p, and informed wMax about it.

Great speaker, and you will love every second of it.

I've heard that the EMU 0404 USB is a good card.  Wmax said something to me about the DAC being very good.  I can't remember what he said exactly, then again, I don't understand half the stuff he talks about. 

I used to have the PCI version and used the digital output to my receiver.  From what I could tell, it was an audible improvement over my Creative Audigy 2.  Subjective, and can't back that up with facts, so take it anyway you want.

Reply #31

I personally use the analog inputs on the DCX, even though my source is usually digital. It does not degrade audio by any degree enough to be anywhere near audible; if I had any suspicion of degradation in any way relevant to hearing - I would not do it. But you should use whatever method is most satisfactory to you - you might have OCD and it might bother the heck out of you for no real reason for all I know.

I don't have any recommendations for such products.

-Chris

I am slightly OCD in this respect, but I'll manage to get over it in this case.

When using the analog inputs on the DCX, do I need a receiver equipped with pre-outs?

Reply #32
I am slightly OCD in this respect, but I'll manage to get over it in this case.

When using the analog inputs on the DCX, do I need a receiver equipped with pre-outs?

Yes.

-Chris

Reply #33
It's an old thread, but in case anyone else comes looking for a quality 5.1 system on the cheap, consider the Spherex Xbox 5.1. A ton of engineering went into these (they came out of Mirage), and they are both well regarded and measure extremely well:

See the June 03 3007 entry here: http://www.theaudiocritic.com/plog/

They can currently be had from parts express for $100: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=309-408, although without the original amplifier.