Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't open zip files on Windows 8 (Read 2806 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't open zip files on Windows 8

I recently installed Windows 8 Customer Preview and installed Foobar2000 back, but I can't open zip files, they are just queued like normal songs and can't be played:
Code: [Select]
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"E:\SEKAMUSA\mc_frontalot_-_favoritism-flac.zip"

I tried going through all the settings, but didn't find anything that would enable this and I can't remember how I did this back on Windows 7. Even Google let me down on this, so if it is a setting, in my opinion it's not prominent enough.

Reply #1
Reinstall foobar2000 over your existing install and make sure you include the optional archive component during installation.

Reply #2
That explains it, I used Ninite to install Foobar2000 (and plenty of other programs), that's why I didn't get to choose. I have to add a note about this to my software spreadsheet.

Reply #3
Would imagine it more an issue of virgin install on new OS. Foobar2000 will remember your previous optional settings if you select upgrade at first screen.

Reply #4
Well yes, I prefer doing clean installs of Windows. I keep my files saved on different drives altogether. It does have this downside, though. Remembering all various configurations of programs is quite hard. Windows 8 seems to have sync feature for app settings and Chrome already syncs everything I need to the cloud so this problem is being addressed. :)