Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 1.5 beta 20: 6ch DTS WAV details issue (Read 877 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 1.5 beta 20: 6ch DTS WAV details issue

In Foobar 1.5 beta 20, a 6 channel DTS WAV shows as 2 ch/16 bit under Properties->Details.  However, it shows as 6ch on the frame of the main screen.  Not sure if this is foobar bug or the DTS  component bug.  Thanks.

Re: Foobar 1.5 beta 20: 6ch DTS WAV details issue

Reply #1
This is a limitation of how decode post processors work. They can only report decoded track information as dynamic metadata.

I was going to suggest to Peter to perhaps support caching the last reported dynamic metadata values (just the ones altered by dynamic updates) for a given file or web stream, perhaps either in the media library, if it's a media library indexed file, and/or in playlists which contain the given track. And this would require a way for properties to display this cached information.

A workaround is to remux the file into Matroska or MP4 container, using FFmpeg, so it knows it's a DTS-WAV to begin with:

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i dts.wav -c:a copy dts.mp4

or

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i dts.wav -c:a copy dts.mka

Re: Foobar 1.5 beta 20: 6ch DTS WAV details issue

Reply #2
I was going to suggest to Peter to perhaps support caching the last reported dynamic metadata values (just the ones altered by dynamic updates) for a given file or web stream ...
In my experience this is already done for some time for web streams. Encoder details like Bitrate, Channels and tags like Title, Genre, URL and SERVER are kept (I guess in the playlist as streams are not in the library).
note that these are streams that don't need post decoding.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.