Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging MP4 AAc files etc. (Read 11133 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging MP4 AAc files etc.

ok so i recently downloaded some AAC files, and unfortunately there is not a component written for foobar2000 that allows playback of raw AAC files.

i have of course found a component that allows playback of MP4 files... so i tested it out and after putting the AAC into the MP4 container, it worked fine.

I am wondering what are valid tags for MP4 files?

Will Ape tags work, or would that break compatibility?

also are there tools made for automatic tagging of MP4 files from filename?

Reply #1
There are no standard names for the tags as of yet, but I guess they'll have the same names as Vorbis comments. And no, APE tags would break compatibility with hardware players. MP4 uses a tagging format made by Apple and it's best to stick with them...

Well, Menno is currently working on providing various ways of tagging MP4 as far as I know. But I have no idea when he'll be done with them...

By the way, writing tags to MP4 files in Foobar2000 will automatically make MP4 tags, not APE tags...

Reply #2
The tags in MP4 made by foobar2000 have nothing to do with Apple. I made them up myself
But it's true that any (mp4 format compliant) hardware player will be able to at least skip these tags.

Menno

Reply #3
The tags in MP4 made by foobar2000 have nothing to do with Apple. I made them up myself
But it's true that any (mp4 format compliant) hardware player will be able to at least skip these tags.

Menno

Hmmm... So is there an mp4 tagging standard for everyone else?    maybe that Case could add to Tag or other developers could add support for into their tagging s/w?   

Reply #4
@Menno:

any suggestions as to what values to use in the tags?

ARTIST etc...

or should i just try to use the same value names as the APE tags?

Reply #5

Menno

You still use Apple's container "construction" with atoms and such, aren't you? Even if it's only 5% "of the whole thing", it's still something...

Reply #6
@Menno:

any suggestions as to what values to use in the tags?

ARTIST etc...

or should i just try to use the same value names as the APE tags?

Yeah, just use the same names as APE, that works best with foobar2000.

Menno

Reply #7

Menno

You still use Apple's container "construction" with atoms and such, aren't you? Even if it's only 5% "of the whole thing", it's still something...

That's true, but no player will show the info unless they know the tagging format.

Menno

Reply #8

Menno

That's true, but no player will show the info unless they know the tagging format.

Menno

Then you make it an standard by releasing good tagging tools that people will start using for MP4. (Tagging one file with one tag at a time with Foobar2000 isn't very fun in the long run...  ) And if it gains large support, then the industry will hopefully follow...

Reply #9

So I guess the new MP4 tags are not related to the ID3v2 tagger you promote on AudioCoding.com? And do you plan to implement them into the Winamp plugins, too?
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #10

So I guess the new MP4 tags are not related to the ID3v2 tagger you promote on AudioCoding.com? And do you plan to implement them into the Winamp plugins, too?

No, not related to the id3v2 tagger, I'll remove that/replace it with a mp4 tagger.

And winamp plugin will be pdated too as soon as possible (may not be very soon  ).

Menno

Reply #11
No, not related to the id3v2 tagger, I'll remove that/replace it with a mp4 tagger.

And winamp plugin will be pdated too as soon as possible (may not be very soon  ).

Fine...  And while I'm at it: do you think it's possible to implement an online buffer into Foobar's MP4 plugin that would allow listening to a MP4 file while (not after) downloading it with a browser from a website? Or is this something that would have to be implemented into Foobar itself like it has been done for MPC and OGG files? I'm thinking of the buffer capabilities in the standard MP3 input plugin for Winamp, of course... In my opinion this is even more imporant than being able to tag MP4 files, because it directly affects the usability of the format for internet purposes. Maybe the ISMA has already developed something in that direction (it's also a part of the MPEG-4 standard, isn't it)?
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #12
Hmm, well, MP4 is used for streaming over internet (rtp:// sdp:// I'm not sure). But I don't know how it works. I'll have to look at foobar if it's possible to add streaming from internet, I don't know how that's done.

Menno

Reply #13
Hmm, well, MP4 is used for streaming over internet (rtp:// sdp:// I'm not sure). But I don't know how it works. I'll have to look at foobar if it's possible to add streaming from internet, I don't know how that's done.

That would be very nice, thank you. By the way, keep in mind that I don't mean real streaming (although this is of course important, too), but there is already a working solution with the freeware QuickTime server application and MP4 files described int the "MPEG-4 guide" on http://www.everwicked.com.

What I meant was simple parallel listening during a HTTP download which the original Nullsoft MP3 input plugin for Winamp 2.x (using the FhG decoder, I think) or even Windows Media Player 6.4 and newer can do. Didn't Peter also design this plugin, so that he probably knows what to do if you want to implement the same buffer into in_mp4.dll/foo_mp4.dll? And I guess the guys at MPEG4IP also know a lot about this, because their goal also is to develop streaming applications for MPEG-4, as far as I remember.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Reply #14
I hope someone comes out with a taggin program that will tag mp4s and the tags will be compatible with the new iPod. I recently got the new iPod and I dont want to enter in all of the info manually. I also want to use mp4 audio, so if there was a way to tag the mp4 by downloading the information off the net, and the tag was understanable by the iPod then I would be all set.

Apple must have some tagging system in the mp4s because when a purchased cd is inserted and copied to the hard drive using iTunes, iTunes automatically downloads the information for the music and applies it the tags. Then one can go and load their music onto their iPod, and all of the information is there and everything is organized correctly, without having to input all that information manually.

Reply #15
> iPod and I dont want to enter in all of the info manually

The iPod does not know anything about tags, it is upto the uploading program to read the tag then write that info to the special iPod database.

Menno, as far as tagging goes, yes create your own standard everyone will follow - publicize standard mp3 tag elements (even though your tagger can write anything) - ARTST, TITLE, ALBUM, GENRE, YEAR, and TRACK for track number. Ogg created a DATE entry but made no specifics about how it should be written YYYY MM DD? DD M YY?, it has to be set in stone...so that is not too good (ie converting APE to Ogg).

Reply #16
Ok, spoon. If iPod doesnt know anything about tags, then how does iTunes automatically download all information from the internet and apply it to an album? And then, when you load that music onto your iPod all of that data comes with it? How does that happen? Because, whatever happens there, thats what I want, and I'm sure many others want also.

Not having to tediously enter every bit and piece of information about your music, when you may not even know everything, is very annoying and not worth it. If there were some way to download that info from the net and then have iPod be able to read that data, that would be much more doable. Especially, when your dealing with thousands of songs, hours of music, hundreds of albums. It's just not doable.

Reply #17
>iTunes automatically download all information from the internet and apply it to an album?

It is the software on PC/MAC that does that, the iPod does not get any tag information from any audio file, be it mp3, mp4.

There is a working tagging solution here for the iPod.

Reply #18
Thanks spoon. Your program is amazing. If there was only a way to automatically download tag information from cbbd or whatever. Typing in all that tag information can be annoying.

Reply #19
Hopefully, iTunes for Windows will come out SOON, I'd be willing to bet possibly at Macworld on June 23rd, but maybe not, they have other stuff to work on in the meantime. Then you wouldn't have to even be having this conversation. AAC taggin in iTunes is incredible. The most awesome feature is that if I rip an AAC file of an MP3 I already have, it asks me if I want to copy all the tags over, including the album covers, it's such an amazing time saver.

Reply #20
>If there was only a way to automatically download tag information from cbbd or whatever.

For Audio CDs it should connect to Freedb and pull down all the tags.

Reply #21
>If there was only a way to automatically download tag information from cbbd or whatever.

For Audio CDs it should connect to Freedb and pull down all the tags.

Yes, spoon, it does do this for audio cds when I am ripping them to my hard drive. But after I convert the wavs to mpeg-4, it loses most of its tag info. (loses everything but the title and artist) I have to go back in and add in the rest manually. Is there any way to retain the original tag information from the cd, or maybe retrieve the tag info again, after conversion with the mpeg 4's??

Reply #22
Using dMC Audio CD Input, click the little arrow next to 'Rip', then 'Rip to -> mp4 (CLI)'.  This will turn your CD directly into .mp4 files, with tags intact.  I don't think you can preserve tags going CD -> .wav -> .mp4 since AFAIK .wav files can't be tagged, dMC must just be gettting the artist and title from the filename in that case.

Reply #23
Hopefully, iTunes for Windows will come out SOON, I'd be willing to bet possibly at Macworld on June 23rd, but maybe not, they have other stuff to work on in the meantime.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?Jo...863&lid=&fn=&q=

Looks like it may be a while for iTunes for Windows! 

Reply #24
The iPod does not know anything about tags, it is upto the uploading program to read the tag then write that info to the special iPod database.

FWIW, this WAS a good move by Apple, for obvious reasons.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!