Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can I import a playlist from Spotify using Fix Playlist? (Read 522 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I import a playlist from Spotify using Fix Playlist?

Don't ask me why, but I really want to import some of my old playlists from Spotify and other streaming services into Foobar.  Of course I won't have all the songs, but I want to see which songs I have and which ones I don't.  I'd be happy I can import an m3u and then use the "Fix Playlist" component to link up the artists / albums / titles with those in my local music library.

Using the Soundiiz service, I can export playlists as a file.  The formats available are .csv, .txt., JSON, URL txt file, xml, or xspf.

I've tried to export the playlist from Soundiiz as an xspf, and then convert it to m3u using a Python script.  The problem is, unless there are file locations in the resulting m3u, then the playlist imports as blank.  I haven't figured out a successful way to convert it into an m3u and have dummy locations appear, along with the artist / album / titles.

Does anyone have any recommendations about how I might get this to work?   Is FIx Playlist the tool I should plan on using once I succeed with the import?

Thanks all

Re: How can I import a playlist from Spotify using Fix Playlist?

Reply #1
Assuming you mean Playlist Fix then no, it won't work. It uses title formatting so %artist% / %title% etc will need to come from actual files. No amount of m3u hacking is going to cut it.

You might have more luck with xspf.

https://github.com/Chocobo1/foo_xspf_1

edit: I've never used it - I'm just aware of its existence. :P

Reply #2
In my SMP scripts you have 3 ways of doing that:
- Playlist Tools: Importing a list of tracks from a text file, by configurable TF. Like ARTIST - TITLE, etc.
- Listenbrainz Tools: Importing/exporting an spotify playlist directly from Listenbrainz, with full content resolution from your library + Youtube links for missing tracks.
- Playlist Manager: Directly loading an XSPF playlist (same as above). Follows 100% the specs, and tries to load the location, then against the library with tags, etc.

Link at sig.

Reply #3
You might have more luck with xspf.

https://github.com/Chocobo1/foo_xspf_1

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't know about this component.  I installed it, and it worked for directly importing the xspf files into foobar.  It only imported playlist entries for the songs it found locally though, so to figure out what's missing I will need to figure out a way to compare the new playlist against the original xspf files from Spotify.  Maybe a script of some sort will help.

Reply #4
In my SMP scripts you have 3 ways of doing that:
- Playlist Tools: Importing a list of tracks from a text file, by configurable TF. Like ARTIST - TITLE, etc.
- Listenbrainz Tools: Importing/exporting an spotify playlist directly from Listenbrainz, with full content resolution from your library + Youtube links for missing tracks.
- Playlist Manager: Directly loading an XSPF playlist (same as above). Follows 100% the specs, and tries to load the location, then against the library with tags, etc.

Link at sig.

I was excited to try these tools, but I'm running 2.1 / 64 bit, so I guess SMP is no longer compatible?

Reply #5
Unless someone wants to make a x64 build, nope. You can request it at the SMP thread though, maybe someday...

Anyway, you can use a x32 portable install just for this.