Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC, WAV format and iTunes (Read 9396 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC, WAV format and iTunes

Hi all,

I used EAC (after reading all the great stuff about it) to extract my CDs to WAV files. Since hard drive space is not an issue, I decided there isn't any need for compression.

However I noticed that these files don't have any ID3 tags?!

I did the same extraction using iTunes to WAV format and these WAV files seem to have ID3 tags.

Couple of questions:

1. Is there any downside of leaving all my audio in WAV format (besides of course the disk space)

2. How do I get ID3 tags when I extract audio using EAC?

3. If WAV audio files don't support ID3 tags, how come the files extracted from iTunes contain this info?

Very much confused!

Thanks
T

Reply #1
Sorry, mainstream usage of .WAV files has no tagging... EAC will only generate common metadata-free WAV files.  iTunes only stores metadata for WAV files in it's own library database.  iTunes will write tags to uncompressed AIFF, though... (but don't expect every application to read it.)

Reply #2
use a lossless format like Flac to store your songs. They can be tagged and
do contain also the orginal song.

Itunes will not play your flac...but foobar f.ex. will.

Reply #3
With XiphQT itunes will play your flacs.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #4

It will if you install Xiph's Quicktime Components, and rip them as Ogg FLAC  Or you could rip them as ALAC (Apple's Lossless format), pretty much all audio players can play them now.

Reply #5
Thanks for all the replies. I am not married to iTunes so I am willing to use any player that plays multiple formats. I have heard good things about Media Center - I believe this plays multiple formats such as mp3, ape, etc.

It will if you install Xiph's Quicktime Components, and rip them as Ogg FLAC  Or you could rip them as ALAC (Apple's Lossless format), pretty much all audio players can play them now.

Reply #6

but only ogg flacs...no native flacs as I just found out 

Thanks for all the replies. I am not married to iTunes so I am willing to use any player that plays multiple formats. I have heard good things about Media Center - I believe this plays multiple formats such as mp3, ape, etc.

your best bet is foobar...but will take a little extra effort to get into the program.

Reply #7
I have heard good things about Media Center - I believe this plays multiple formats such as mp3, ape, etc.

J. River Media Center works well for me.  It keeps track of over 25,000 FLAC files and lets me define different view schemes for different kinds of music.  It allows me to use custom tags and database only fields to characterize my music files and I can use those fields in browser panes (like iTunes) to select files.  I can have multiple libraries with different music files. I have run MC on a 3 year old laptop and a new Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of Ram. Great tag editing features.  It works quickly, smoothly and without glitches on each PC. The J. River Media Center forums provide effective support.

Foobar was more work than I wanted to get it set up to fit my needs.  There is an active community of people sharing info on setting it up on this forum and on other forums.  I'd look for threads on setting up the Foobar UI before I took the plunge.

Media Center has a CD ripper with a secure mode builtin and I think Foobar does too.  I have found having the ripping s/w integrated with tag editing is very useful.  Having tag editing integrated with the playing s/w is also useful.  When you see that something is not tagged correctly, you want to fix it then.

Bill