Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The apparent re-resurrection of Winamp (Read 2269 times) previous topic - next topic

The apparent re-resurrection of Winamp

"A leaked version of Winamp 5.8 recently spread over the Internet. Consequently, we have decided to make this new version available to you, revised by us."
~ https://www.winamp.com/

As well, there's this recent article:
So you might be wondering: can you install and use Winamp right now? The answer: sort of. The WinAMP website, unchanged for five years, points to a forum thread when you request a download. This thread points to a simplistic website where you’ll find Winamp 5.666 for Windows. This software dates back to 2013, but it works
~ https://www.howtogeek.com/369298/what-happened-to-winamp-and-can-you-use-it-now/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: The apparent re-resurrection of Winamp

Reply #1
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the coverage I've read (I saw it earlier on ghacks) is the hint from the footer—'cast. play. sell.'—that there may potentially be some music store? Unless I'm unaware of some other aspect they've been aiming for.

Reply #2
I thought Winamp was actually dead.

foobar2000 has been my primary player for the last decade.

Reply #3
Is there any good reason why one would use Winamp now as opposed to say, foobar2000, CreativeMediaPlayer(esp if you have a Creative soundcard), Audacity, MPC-HC or PotPlayer, all free and pretty competent. I am sure there are plenty more but why resurrect Winamp or why use it.

Reply #4
Is there any good reason why one would use Winamp now as opposed to say, foobar2000, CreativeMediaPlayer(esp if you have a Creative soundcard), Audacity, MPC-HC or PotPlayer, all free and pretty competent. I am sure there are plenty more but why resurrect Winamp or why use it.

It still has users and then there are those who refuse to switch to something else.  It's still got a free version that's quite functional for most users and easier for users to skin than foobar2000 typically is (which has a steep learning curve for that).

People are going to use whatever they like at the end of the day and there's no stopping that even if there's better alternatives out there.