Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_beefweb - modern web interface (Read 38930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_beefweb - modern web interface

Reply #25
I have a 'stupid question' too.  Just to set the scenario  - I store my music on a dedicated lap top which is situated in my Hi Fi cabinet, and play it using Foobar.  I would like to be able to control Foobar from a tablet (iOS or /Android) remotely so that I do not have to use the lap top mouse pad to change playlist etc.  I understand that the music is played from the device that has foobar installed, but do I have to install Foobar on the tablet as well as I presume the Beefweb plugin is installed on the tablet not the lap top (or is it?).  Sorry if I have missed the point but I am new to this - (not bad at analogue though!)  Grateful for any help - is there a 'for dummies' set-up guide out there?

Reply #26
I understand that the music is played from the device that has foobar installed, but do I have to install Foobar on the tablet as well as I presume the Beefweb plugin is installed on the tablet not the lap top (or is it?).
Actually, it's the opposite. You need to install this component on desktop foobar2000 which actually plays music.
The component has embeded web server that provides clients with web interface for controlling player. On your tablet/phone you only need a web browser.
To access the web UI you need to find out IP address of your laptop, better if it would be a static one,so it does not change over the time,
then just open URL http://X.X.X.X:8880 from your tablet, where X.X.X.X is your IP address, typically something like 192.168.X.X.
See this random guide found over the internet for information how to find out IP address.
Also make sure that firewall if any is not blocking incoming connections for foobar2000.

Sorry if I have missed the point but I am new to this - (not bad at analogue though!)  Grateful for any help - is there a 'for dummies' set-up guide out there?
Unfortunately there is no such guide yet, I'll make some eventually.

Reply #27
Thank you - that is somewhat clearer - I will now have a go at installing it.

thanks

Mitch

Reply #28
Hey, quick question.

You support adding music files over a URL but in my weird case it doesn't work. I try to add a youtube URL, when I have the foobar Youtube component installed (foo_youtube).
Any chance you can take a look at it or tell me where to check in the source code?

Reply #29
You support adding music files over a URL but in my weird case it doesn't work. I try to add a youtube URL, when I have the foobar Youtube component installed (foo_youtube).
This depends on how foo_youtube and foobar2000 core interpret the URLs. Probably foo_youtube has it's own URL scheme (e.g. not https://) and its custom UI produces playlist items with that scheme, so foobar2000 core could interpret them correctly.
Adding plain https:// URL likely would be interpreted as a regular HTTP stream source.

Any chance you can take a look at it or tell me where to check in the source code?
I'll take a look at this, probably it could be done on either client or server side, I'm not sure which is better :)

Reply #30
This is pretty great! Issues I've noticed:

1) Volume slider should be logarithmic and not linear. -10dB halves the volume but is still like 90% of your slider. Very difficult to just slightly lower the volume.
2) Music Directories doesn't seem to do anything. That view is always empty for me.

Requests:
1) Search! Let me search my library arbitrarily and send the results to some "Query" playlist or something like that.
2) I'd like to be able to specify columns and even add my own, or modify existing columns to add more data. For example I'd like to add disc numbers to tracknumber column and add a playcount column.

Thanks for your work on this!

Reply #31
Hi, thanks for the feedback.

1) Volume slider should be logarithmic and not linear. -10dB halves the volume but is still like 90% of your slider. Very difficult to just slightly lower the volume.
This is already reported, I've figured out correct formula from sources of foo_ui_columns. Would fix in the next release.

2) Music Directories doesn't seem to do anything. That view is always empty for me.
This needs to be configured manually from foobar2000 preferences screen. Unfortunately I have no idea how to get media library directories via foobar2000 APIs, would love to include them automatically.

1) Search! Let me search my library arbitrarily and send the results to some "Query" playlist or something like that.
This is a large task, but I'm keeping it in mind for future features.

2) I'd like to be able to specify columns and even add my own, or modify existing columns to add more data. For example I'd like to add disc numbers to tracknumber column and add a playcount column.
Would be available in the next release, I'm already working on this.

Thanks for your work on this!
Thank you ;)

Reply #32
i see there is no update still(

Reply #33
i see there is no update still(
I do this project in my spare time, so there is no estimation on the next release.
You can try development build if you like.
It has the very recent features and bugfixes, but it might include some broken stuff as well :)

Reply #34
Ok :)) Will be waiting

Reply #35
Hello and thanks for this easy piece of software! Worked out of the box here in f2k141 for me. Not much of hasseling with configuration to get it work, I remember some older components with the same approach, that took me hours to configure and get it working (and their webinterface didn't even looked that good). So thank you!

If have read this thread and have a question:
I'm using foo_preview and would like to be able to switch it ON or OFF, if possible.
On my local f2k installation, I have a keyboard-shortcut and a button and a menu entry, but it would be very great to have an extra button in the webinterface too.

Do you know, if its possible to trigger the component (or any other with predefined options/parameters) from your fine component?
(Just a simple button to turn the preview ON or OFF)

Thanks.

Furthermore, I'd like to quote the good ideas from others here, just to show how good these are and I like them too :-)

Requests:
Both requests are mine too.

Probably a stupid question but here goes: Does this control music playback on the host machine or does the music play out of the machine accessing the web interface?
Yeah, streaming music from a remote f2k to the local browser would be awesome.

Could there be a list of playlists in a menu? The horizontal tab list is often too narrow and scrolling through it is not optimal.
I have to scroll endlessly, because I have >40 playlists sometime, so a vertical list could help.

Reply #36
Do you know, if its possible to trigger the component (or any other with predefined options/parameters) from your fine component?
(Just a simple button to turn the preview ON or OFF)
I don't know if it is possible to do via foobar2000 SDK, but I'll add feature request, so I could investigate when I have time for it.

Furthermore, I'd like to quote the good ideas from others here, just to show how good these are and I like them too :-)
I have these feature requests on github, feel free to add like there, so I would know which ones are the most wanted.

Reply #37
Great and simple plugin, works like just plug and play!
Many thanks!

Suggestion: Double tap on status bar to locate currently playing track, just like in foobar on desktop.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #38
It works on my laptop where foobar is installed. Via google chrome on this laptop I can acces foobar, but this is not remotely!?
However on a remote PC I get the message "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when I try to browse in chrome to http://localhost:8880.
In the plugin configuration screen I have allowed the control from remote machines as well!
Can someone advise what is going wrong?

Reply #39
It works on my laptop where foobar is installed. Via google chrome on this laptop I can acces foobar, but this is not remotely!?
However on a remote PC I get the message "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when I try to browse in chrome to http://localhost:8880.
In the plugin configuration screen I have allowed the control from remote machines as well!
Can someone advise what is going wrong?

Solved it myself. I only  had to replace "hostname" with the IP-address of my laptop on which Foobar is running! Hope this may help someone else having the same issue.

Reply #40
Very good plugin!
I've been using Kodi for playing my music on a laptop connected to my HiFi.
I wrote a simple php remote interface, so I was able to start a playlist remotely (GET command) from my tablet.
With the latest Kodi release (Leia) is not possible to use GET commands to start the player anymore. Kodi wants me to use a POST command using Ajax and JSON, but it can't be done from a remote pc (it's blocked for security reasons), so my webapp is broken.

I want to give Foobar2000 a try and use it instead of Kodi.
foo_beefweb is a perfect web interface, but I don't need the whole interface. I only need it as "bridge" between foobar and my php web app.
After installing foo_beefwer, is there a simple command (GET or POST) that I can send to localhost:8880 in order to start a certain playlist.m3u file which resides on the laptop?
Thak you for any help you can provide.

Reply #41
After installing foo_beefwer, is there a simple command (GET or POST) that I can send to localhost:8880 in order to start a certain playlist.m3u file which resides on the laptop?

According to the auto-generated API documentation, you might be able to fashion something by using the endpoint ​
Code: [Select]
/playlists​/{playlistId}​/items​/add
. Possibly you can simply pass the playlist filename.

Reply #42
Using the APIs I was able to start playing a playlist that was already loaded in foobar (http://localhost:8880/api/player/play).
This is a good start.
Now I'm trying to choose the playlist that I want to listen to.
I'm looking for a command that let me play a ".m3u" locally stored playlist. It seems that all the APIs refere to playlists with their "ID", as if they were already in a library.

Reply #43
I'm looking for a command that let me play a ".m3u" locally stored playlist. It seems that all the APIs refere to playlists with their "ID", as if they were already in a library.

As it has been suggested already the command you need is POST /api/playlists/{playlistId}/items/add

playlistId is a playlist identifier in one of the three formats:
  • zero-based index of playlist in UI, e.g. 0 for the first playlist
  • unique playlist indentifier obtainable by GET /api/playlists, this is a more stable identity. it is preserved when playlists are reodered
  • special value current indicating playlist currently selected in UI (not web UI)

Body of the POST request should be a JSON with the following structure:
{
  "items": ["path to item to add"],
  "async": false,
  "index": -1
}

items is the array of tracks, URLs, playlists, etc you want to add to playlist. Make sure the file you are adding is inside directory that is allowed to be accessed via API (aka Music directory)
async is an optional parameter specifying, if you want to wait for all items to be processed or want to just start adding and return immediately (default false).
index is an optional parameter specifying where to insert added items. By default items are added to the end of the specified playlist.

Hope that helps

Reply #44
{
  "items": ["path to item to add"],
  "async": false,
  "index": -1
}

items is the array of tracks, URLs, playlists, etc you want to add to playlist. Make sure the file you are adding is inside directory that is allowed to be accessed via API (aka Music directory)
Many thanks!

Reply #45
can i access foobar on my pc through my mobile with it?

Reply #46
Hi,
I have a bug with this component that causes foobar to display an incorrect elapsed playback time. The playback time is constantly increased by 2:50. This is not specific to the web interface, it affects the main desktop UI everywhere time elapsed is displayed. The seekbar is also off by 2:50 to the right. The bug is only cosmetic and doesn't affect playback (songs properly start at their beginning). Uninstalling the component solves the problem.

Reply #47
My dude!

I made this account to say thanks for this plugin. I personally don't use the GUI but my app is using the REST API to interact with fb2k in a way the command line doesn't allow.
Excellent work!

Reply #48
I finally switched from Kodi to Foobar2000 and I must thank foo_beefweb for making it possible.
There's only one last problem that I'm trying to solve:
All my music is stored in an external hard drive. In the root of the hard drive there are folders named "A", "B", "C" etc...
Each folder contains the artists folders and each artist folder contains the album folders.

In the Preferences menu, in the "Music directories" box I've added "M:\" that is the root of the external hard drive.
With foo_beefweeb I'm only able to navigate the root folder and I can't access the subdirectories (A, B, C...).
Instead if I insert "M:\A" I'm able to navigate all the subdirectories of "A".
Is there a problem with the way foo_beefweb stores the location of the root folder?
I'm using Windows 10, Foobar 1.5.1 and foo_beefweb 0.3.

Reply #49
Hi all, I've uploaded new version.

I appologize for the such long delay.
This should have been released year ago or so, but my main work occupies too much of brain resources  :(

Changes in v0.4:
  • Added optional playback information panel
  • Added basic support for playlist column customization
  • Renamed "Audio menu" to "Playback mode"
  • Fixed icons occasionally not being rendered on Chrome-based browsers
  • Fixed non-latin music directories support
  • Fixed "Add URL" not working
  • Total playlist time status line is removed
  • Volume slider now uses linear scale instead of dB
  • Fixed browsing directories with ! in path

Known issues:
  • Specifying root directory as music directory does not work