Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why vinyl hype is destroying the record ~ Fact Magazine (Read 9965 times) previous topic - next topic

Why vinyl hype is destroying the record ~ Fact Magazine

“But there are indicators that the majors are actively trying to secure substantial vinyl production capacity at the remaining pressing plants. How? By paying in advance. There might even be presses completely reserved for certain companies.”

"“There are only two companies worldwide that produce lacquers. One of these companies is a one-man operation in Japan run by an old man who produces the lacquers in his garage."

Pressed To The Edge ~ Fact Magazine
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #1
Vinyl production worldwide is currently operating way above its capacity, and expensive materials, expert knowledge and antiquated techniques have led to to supply shortages and quality problems.

Expert knowledge has led to supply shortages and quality problems?  Who knew?

Reply #2
wouldn't be surprised if this could kill off vinyl completely.

Reply #3
Let me translate that from the original German article:

Vinyl production worldwide is currently operating way above its actual capacity. Especially the expensive production, the loss of expert knowledge and the antiquated technology cause frequent shortages and quality problems.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #4
Unfortunately, some of my favourite labels, i.e Fat Wreck Chords and Epitaph have a lot of vinyl releases, at least up until ~2003, that sound not as good as I hope. Especially some of the 7" from NOFX (Pods And Gods is one) that sound so bad that I wonder why they released it. Then, I have an LP from the band Shelter released on Roadrunner (?) that sound sooo good. Less pops, crackles etc.

I do wish that the low quality vinyl releases would stop being made. I know it is a bout the music but the sound is the first thing that tells me if I will be able to stand listening to it.

Reply #5
I'm proud (I'm from the Netherlands..) that the biggest vinyl press in the world, Record Industry in Haarlem the Netherlands is still able to produce 30.000 records every day. A very nice recent visit from EMP's Rock Invasion can be seen here: https://youtu.be/Ilofn_z-ric

Indeed, on Dutch television they told a couple of weeks ago that there were a lot of reservations..

A couple of years ago they were only producing less than 100.000 records a year!
Asus Xonar DG | foobar2000 | Klipsch RB-41 II | WASAPI push /\/

Reply #6
I'm proud (I'm from the Netherlands..) that the biggest vinyl press in the world, Record Industry in Haarlem the Netherlands is still able to produce 30.000 records every day.

To me that like being proud of having the largest cigarette factory in the world across the street.

Reply #7
Well, it's not like vinyl records are actively detrimental to your health.

At least not your physical health ;-)

Reply #8
OK, how about something more appropriate, like the world's largest manufacturer of disco balls? 

Reply #9

Well, it is plastic right? But seems like a healthy plastic:

Vinyl is a very environment friendly material, not only because it can be recycled, but also for many other reasons. Vinyl helps in the preservation of environmental resources as 57% of vinyl is made from common salt, which is a renewable natural substance. Non-replenish able resources such as crude oil only account for 43% of vinyl resin, thus making it nature friendly.

from http://www.whatisvinyl.com/
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #10
.... ... ... Non-replenish able resources such as crude oil only account for 43% of vinyl resin, thus making it nature friendly.

Sounds a bit like "Low-Fat" foods: only 43%!

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #12

Right - we have this widespread mental health problem of the many fallacies about digital which were stimulated by people who wanted to keep on selling "sonically superior" analog gear and recordings.

Reply #14
It is not clear to me that it is the best turntable ever made - but it is clear to me that it is not nearly as bad as the golden ears made it out to be.

Certainly the best price:performance ratio and extremely high build quality, then.

No belt-drive turntable can touch the noise level or speed stability, you have to go way up there in direct drive models to find something with significantly better specs.

The only real minus for most people is that it's not auto/semi-auto.

Reply #15
At least the best turntable ever made is coming back: www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/panasonic-reviving-technics-turntables/

Panasonic has not said they are bringing back the SL-1200 line. They're bringing back the Technics brand on several devices, including a new direct-drive turntable with an improved motor:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-0...ntable-technics
http://news.panasonic.com/press/news/data/...en150903-3.html

Presumably it has digital controls and outputs, but it's not even clear whether it will be DJ-oriented or what. Where's the pitch control? Or tonearm, for that matter?

Reply #16
At least the best turntable ever made is coming back: http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/panason...ics-turntables/

It is not clear to me that it is the best turntable ever made - but it is clear to me that it is not nearly as bad as the golden ears made it out to be.

The 'golden ears' are (in recent years) coming round to the Technics' good points. The old-school flat-earthers who lived by the "Linn/Naim or nothing" belief would be horrified by the thought of a DD 'table being given fair and honest consideration, but old attitudes die hard, I suppose.

There is now a subculture of people modifying the SL1200 with Rega/SME tonearms and replacing the DJ cartridge with something a little less heavy-duty.

Reply #17
There is now a subculture of people modifying the SL1200 with Rega/SME tonearms and replacing the DJ cartridge with something a little less heavy-duty.

If the flat-earthers etc. have only ever heard SL1200s equipped with stout DJ cartridges and spherical styluses, it's no wonder they don't regard it very highly. Does anyone actually use spherical styluses to play 33/45 RPM records outside of DJing?

Reply #18

If the flat-earthers etc. have only ever heard SL1200s equipped with stout DJ cartridges and spherical styluses, it's no wonder they don't regard it very highly. Does anyone actually use spherical styluses to play 33/45 RPM records outside of DJing?

To the apostles of Christ Frankland, it committed the three deadly sins of being 1.direct-drive, 2.foreign and 3.not made by Linn.

The other great thing about the Technics is that there were so many made that good 2nd-hand examples are not very hard to find.

Reply #19
There were so many made that there are still a bunch of new-in-box ones available, 5 years after production ended. Thomann.de are still selling new ones, albeit at a hefty markup.

Reply #21
The motor technology looks interesting, the unit won't be pitched at the lower end of the market I bet.

Well, the currently available Technics products are certainly anything but budget-friendly, so you're probably right.

Maybe they'll spin it as a "reference-class direct drive unit" or something equally expensive.

*Disclosure: I am currently on my 3rd 1210 M3D
The first 2 Mk2s were bought and sold separately decades ago to do things like 1)buy food, 2)help pay legal fees.
I intend to hang on to my current one.

I'm on my first SL-1210 MK2, after a Thorens TD-105 and an SL-1500. I'm going to keep mine going for as long as possible. There will always be neat thrift store and second/third/etc.-hand bargains to be found, and I'll need something to play them on.

Reply #22

It looks very pretty, with that Jeff Rowland-esque machined top plate. Unfortunately, that means that it also looks expensive.

Reply #23
Meh, it's just in keeping with what society(/marketers) have deemed today as being stylish.

Who the fuck is Jeff Rowland anyway, and why is his name attached to the 2D look of corrugated metal?  Puh-leeze!

Even more reason why I have to laugh at those who can't look outside their petri dish and point back to the original post.

Reply #24
At least the best turntable ever made is coming back: http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/panason...ics-turntables/

I've searched in vain for third party measurements on its wow, flutter, and rumble, ideally weighted and unweighted, for many years. Might you happen to know of any?
---
Link for greynol's query: http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/