Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Inexpensive Line-level Amp/Attenuator (Read 3002 times) previous topic - next topic

Inexpensive Line-level Amp/Attenuator

I'm looking for an inexpensive line-level amp and attenuator. What I want to do with it is insert it into a signal chain so that when the signal is too loud I can turn it down, and when it is too quiet, I can turn it up. I've seen some products, I just thought you guys probably know even better.

Here's the problem: My E-MU 0404, which can pre-amplify signals well doesn't handle over-powering well. My Audio 8 DJ, which has no pre-amp, is maybe 20dB quieter. There's a range of signals for which the E-MU is too loud and the A8DJ is too quiet. This will be used in live performance contexts. I can't simply record and change gain afterwards.

I'd prefer RCA ins/outs. 2 channel, ideally. More is acceptable.

Reply #1
Tascam

...that's what I'm thinking of getting pretty soon. I need it for needledrop captures. I'm not sure what you would find to be acceptably inexpensive though. Unfortunately I'll have no real experience with it to share until I actually buy it.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #2
I'm looking for just an amplifier/attenuator, not a whole new interface. This will increase the usefulness of both of my current interfaces. The E-MU has great RMAA results. The A8DJ has great drivers.

Reply #3
I'm looking for an inexpensive line-level amp and attenuator. What I want to do with it is insert it into a signal chain so that when the signal is too loud I can turn it down, and when it is too quiet, I can turn it up. I've seen some products, I just thought you guys probably know even better.

Here's the problem: My E-MU 0404, which can pre-amplify signals well doesn't handle over-powering well. My Audio 8 DJ, which has no pre-amp, is maybe 20dB quieter. There's a range of signals for which the E-MU is too loud and the A8DJ is too quiet. This will be used in live performance contexts. I can't simply record and change gain afterwards.

I'd prefer RCA ins/outs. 2 channel, ideally. More is acceptable.

Attenuation is simple:

Attenuators - pick the ones with the right attenuation and connectors.

Reply #4
I initially solved a broadly similar problem by getting a mixer.

Peavey, Mackie and Soundcraft, among others, make decent quality small footprint models. Although I suspect this would involve spending more cash than you would wish at this time. It's the classic solution though.

A better long term solution might be to sell on the E-MU and Audio 8 now and replace with a suitable multichannel audio interface. RME Fireface or Babyface would be the gold standard but the new Focusrite 8i6 would fit the bill and keep things neat.