Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dumb (Read 310905 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_dumb

Reply #450
Yeah, those and bunches more should be fixed, after exactly 1.0.49 broke them.

I checked the current release v1.0.51 against my collection, no issues found, well done.
Though support for .psm modules appears to be broken, the format isn't recognized as being supported anymore.

foo_dumb

Reply #451
Though support for .psm modules appears to be broken, the format isn't recognized as being supported anymore.

Works for me. If you can reproduce it with exact files, upload exact files to the forum and I'll check them out.

foo_dumb

Reply #452
Works for me. If you can reproduce it with exact files, upload exact files to the forum and I'll check them out.

Greetings from Murphy. As one could have guessed today the .psm modules all load and play fine as they used to.
Flawless victory for v1.0.51 then. 

foo_dumb

Reply #453
Fixed a pretty serious flaw in playptmod. Or at least, a deficiency. In a previous incarnation, I had added Modplug ADPCM sample support, but one of the rewrites that occurred did not include that feature into the new code. I have since reimplemented ADPCM sample support, since there are a number of PC MODs which use it. Now they won't sound like utter garbage with the default of playptmod being enabled.

foo_dumb

Reply #454
Fixed a pretty serious flaw in playptmod. Or at least, a deficiency. In a previous incarnation, I had added Modplug ADPCM sample support, but one of the rewrites that occurred did not include that feature into the new code. I have since reimplemented ADPCM sample support, since there are a number of PC MODs which use it. Now they won't sound like utter garbage with the default of playptmod being enabled.

thx for all the amazing Programming you do Kode54 ;^_^ I am avle to listen to great game and other music because fo you  =D

foo_dumb

Reply #455
Hmmm..this file has been tampered and may be infected by a virus, says..

foo_dumb

Reply #456
Whoops, that's what I get for trying to digitally sign unmo3.dll, which is compressed.

foo_dumb

Reply #457
I noticed one thing. I can theoretically set fade time in format "m:s.ms" . But if I try to add colon or dot there, this field throws error that I can put there only a number. Seems it's a system error, as it is written in Polish (my system language). So how should be fading option filled - just with amount of milliseconds or ... ?

foo_dumb

Reply #458
foo_dumb crashes on saga_musix_-_timelord.it when interpolation is set to 'none'.

foo_dumb

Reply #459
I noticed one thing. I can theoretically set fade time in format "m:s.ms" . But if I try to add colon or dot there, this field throws error that I can put there only a number. Seems it's a system error, as it is written in Polish (my system language). So how should be fading option filled - just with amount of milliseconds or ... ?

Fixed.

foo_dumb crashes on saga_musix_-_timelord.it when interpolation is set to 'none'.

This never happened to me, but it does run incredibly slow through several patches of the song where the sample rate of several notes is incredibly high. I've replaced the "none" mode with something different, but it's no faster at handling this particular song. So either render it to a lossless or lossy PCM file, or use a different interpolation mode for real time listening.

foo_dumb

Reply #460

This never happened to me, but it does run incredibly slow through several patches of the song where the sample rate of several notes is incredibly high. I've replaced the "none" mode with something different, but it's no faster at handling this particular song. So either render it to a lossless or lossy PCM file, or use a different interpolation mode for real time listening.

The replacement of the interpolation routine "none" brakes more than it fixes:
  • For a listening test I rendered the module signature.it to FLAC with foo_dumb v1.0.64 which took ~40 seconds, then again using foo_dumb v.1.0.66 which took ~3 min 40 secs. This is 5 times longer than with foo_dumb v1.0.64!
  • Then I played back beep.it using foo_dumb v.1.0.66. Stuttering playback appears at Order 26 which I never experienced there before. Then playback recovers back to normal at order 27 until order 30, where the stuttering reappears even stronger and lasts to almost the very end of the tune. At times the playback comes almost to an halt!
  • Next try was bubbles.it which now also produces heavy stuttering beginning with order 04, and getting quite stronger from order 07 onwards.
  • I witness the same heavy stuttering with timelord.it which makes it impossible to play the tune.
I could go on providing more examples of Impulsetracker modules that are now played back with stuttering which used to play fine previously with foo_dumb v1.0.64.

foo_dumb

Reply #461
So a revert to the perfectly functional previous version is in order. And it was never proven to crash for me at least, but it did skip and stutter on the track lvqcl mentioned.

foo_dumb

Reply #462
[...]And it was never proven to crash for me at least, but it did skip and stutter on the track lvqcl mentioned.

Unfortunately I can confirm that timelord.it does crash for me with v1.0.64, too. The crash is reproducible and occurs at order 10. I've uploaded the crash-log, I hope it's of some help to you.

foo_dumb

Reply #463
Release v1.0.67 with the revert to the previous routine fixes the previously reported issues. Thank you for that.

I noticed that you also added a few tweaks which now enables me to play back module timelord.it, too. Though it does not play through flawlessly, yet. Strong stuttering appears between order 18 - 20, a light stutter in order 37, and heavy stuttering again from order 41 - 43 were the playback sometimes comes to an halt. Is there is room to tweak it a little more?

Btw, the download of current foo_dumb does not work from the foobar2000 components page, I had to visit your homepage.

foo_dumb

Reply #464
You'll have to force a manual refresh on the pages, and if that doesn't work, you'll just have to use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome instead of Firefox to download from the main components page. Or you can, you know, click the Check for updated components option from the player itself and it will download updates for you.

As for speed, there's nothing I can do about that, short of sacrificing quality in the name of speed. I assume most of you are using the "none" mode because you like the sound, not because you assume it's faster. It's either this way, or high pitched samples alias horribly. And this particular module has a tough time with this resampling mode because Saga Musix did a lot of pitch shifting tiny sample loops well above the nyquist point for most reasonable output rates.

I can try and see if unrolling sample loops will speed it up, so it doesn't have to jump out of the mixing loop as often to reset the sample position. I can do this with samples with normal loops, but not if they use sustain loops.

foo_dumb

Reply #465
You'll have to force a manual refresh on the pages, and if that doesn't work, you'll just have to use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome instead of Firefox to download from the main components page. Or you can, you know, click the Check for updated components option from the player itself and it will download updates for you.

its been doing this once and a long o' while...
I haven't noticed any benefit to forced refresh{[CTR]+[..F5]} at least not in my case...
so its acting up right now? I'll check it out myself...

foo_dumb

Reply #466
Then it's been broken with Firefox either since some Firefox update, or since the anti-hotlink system has been in place ever since this components archive was first opened.

foo_dumb

Reply #467
Then it's been broken with Firefox either since some Firefox update, or since the anti-hotlink system has been in place ever since this components archive was first opened.

anti-hot-link system? maybe that is it...., because I never really have any issues like that anywhere else...

Or you can, you know, click the Check for updated components option from the player itself and it will download updates for you.

this does not work for me sadly because I do not have internet at home...

ps:
the download link worked just fine me me no more then 3-5 minutes ago.

foo_dumb

Reply #468
What kind of person doesn't have home Internet access in this day and age? I mean, what are you going to do the next time you get a jury duty summons? Just the other day, my mom got such a summons, and it asked her to report to a web site to fill out a survey within 5 days. Well, it did give her a phone number to fill out for a hard copy of the survey.

foo_dumb

Reply #469
What kind of person doesn't have home Internet access in this day and age? I mean, what are you going to do the next time you get a jury duty summons? Just the other day, my mom got such a summons, and it asked her to report to a web site to fill out a survey within 5 days. Well, it did give her a phone number to fill out for a hard copy of the survey.

My life is kinda a mess (Mom's gone  Cancer 2007, etc..) (I'm more the conspiracy, NewAge, PC-Enthusiast, RPG, Sci-fi, Fantasy type, peaceful, love of nature ;^_^
regular jobs never quite worked out so I make do with what comes to me from time to time... like fix a PC once in a blue moon...
2008 till 2011 I volunteered for w LAN/Gaming center to help keep it running, I loved what I did there PC updates, and advanced configing, cleaning everything pretty much..

https://www.facebook.com/GalaxyGamingppf
this is the place I volunteered for the older pics are there too..

it worked for me because the owner has a Beautiful heart ;^_^
he let me be myself, go at my own pace, do things my own way ;^_^; so it all worked out
sadly he went under in August of 2011 ;;_;;

I don't have a Car or drivers license or a car (parents during the 90's never bothered plus the vehicles were mobile ash trays GROSS!!!!!!!! >_<)
no job, etc..
I get a bit of help  housing doen

ack outa time I will tell you the rest 2mrw my public library closes at
http://www.dover.lib.nh.us/ see for your self

foo_dumb

Reply #470
Interesting story, sorry I coaxed it out of you in that unfriendly manner. Actually, I was being sarcastic, but you can sort of see where I'm coming from. Even the bloody government expects everyone to have handy Internet access now.

foo_dumb

Reply #471
I assume most of you are using the "none" mode because you like the sound, not because you assume it's faster.

This!  For me the speed is good enough already. It's only this module causing a little trouble, but that does'nt bother me much. I just wanted to make you aware of any possibly uncovered issues.

I can try and see if unrolling sample loops will speed it up, so it doesn't have to jump out of the mixing loop as often to reset the sample position.

Sounds promising. Fingers crossed it's worth a try.

foo_dumb

Reply #472
Interesting story, sorry I coaxed it out of you in that unfriendly manner. Actually, I was being sarcastic, but you can sort of see where I'm coming from. Even the bloody government expects everyone to have handy Internet access now.

its all good, being Gemini (born in Mid June) I apparently like to tell everyone my life story.. lol

and that's only part of the story loi...

a bicycle accident in August 2010 left kinks in my neck(C3 & C4) and where the shoulders(T1 & T2) meet...

I get electrical assistance which wipes 77% of the Power bill ;^_^;, and get help once and a while to pay the $9 Electric bill...

and food pantries, Soup Kitchen(two dinners a week on Tues & Thur) help me with a bit of food, plus I know the family that owns a local health food store they save food at the end of there sell by dates because they can't sell it after that and would otherwise go to the dumpster, soo all in house made, baked yummies, soups & deli mixes when ever any don't sell(;_;) I give them a new temp home in my Stomach lol ;^_^.

I lost my mother to cancer in October of 2007 ;_;, and my brother was the last to move out of my family's 3-bed-room in public housing (2009), and housing let me keep the 3BR for 3 years till a 1 BR opened up in the older part of housing so I am there now...(well at the library right this sec to get internet)...

and that is still only a fraction of my total life story loi.

ps:
as always thx soo! much for all the great programming you do (especially all the Foobar Game music extensions ;^_^

foo_dumb

Reply #473
Please add support for .DMF, .ULT, .IXS file format!

foo_dumb

Reply #474
Please add support for .DMF, .ULT, .IXS file format!

.IXS? I have never heard of that one.

.ULT should be relatively straightforward except for it's dual effects.
One think thought is that the doc doesn't mention it but from asking help within the tracker you see that most effects have memory.
Ah, one complication maybe, I think that Portamento is automatic ("fire and forget" like for 669).

.DMF on the other hand requires some adaptations because XTracker uses a very different tempo system with to quote "auto calculated speed" which I understand as dividing a row in enough steps to smoothly apply the effects. As effects are expressed in change during a whole row and most delays are in 1/16 of a row, I'd just fix the speed to 16 and adapt the tempo in consequence.

I mentioned 669, well I played with Composer669 recently (disable xms, ems, umb in DOSBox) and here are my conclusions:
- tempo is 31 frames/sec, i.e. 77.5 when translated in MOD tempo, so 78 as in Dumb is ok.
- pitch is probably represented as follows: C-0 is 100, C-1 is 200, C-2 is 400, C-3 is 800, i.e. neither an Amiga period nor an XM/IT "linear" mode but a fraction x/200 of the base frequency.
- slides have no limits and turn weird after a while. Slide down has the curious effect of sliding up after a while, something I have seen in several tunes. I guess that it occurs when the fraction becomes negative.
- vibrato oscillate every frame between high a normal value (i.e. type half square with speed 128), the depth seems to be 16 times that of slides.
- effect d, is kind like a finetune, except that if is unsigned, probably at twice the depth of a slide and does not need to be applied at the same time as a new note