Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC tags in Windows Explorer (Read 12172 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC tags in Windows Explorer

...I would like to make a test case with this "foobar BIT comparator".

It works this way: you highlight two files and ask to compare; it decodes and reports whether there is any difference and if so "how much".

-> You will not use this to check if two rips are the same; good CD rippers give you a checksum, and if you rip twice you will see whether they match (in EAC there is a test-and-copy functionality, in dBpoweramp the checksum turns green if you rip twice and get the same).

-> You will not use this to verify a FLAC encoding, you use a -V or --verify (those are synonyms, beware the capital V) - then the encoder will first encode, and then decode and compare to the original signal.

-> You will not use this to compare two FLACs encoded at different settings - using verification grants that they are both identical to the original signal, hence they are identical to each other too.

What you could have use for, is fb2k's verify integrity command. The FLAC encoder writes a checksum to metadata, so if the audio fails to match that, it will tell you that the file is corrupted.

Looks like, for me, that I cannot do anything with the Comparator.
But out of curiosity, could I test one MP3 of a track, and the corresponding one in FLAC? Please...

HEY!
What is this issue with Windows. I had those first FLACs of mine, but then went to Explorer, and dissapointed, saw that it does not show the metadata, like Artist etc.
What is wrong with integrating FLAC there?
Must it be always proprietary?

You ppl are like decades forward.
I dont understand what is going on here.
But to be OK, once I found "fb2K", I got obsessed with my music.
And thats how I found out about the FLAC.
Now, I dont know what I will be doing in the future, but I have to think...

Reply #1
But out of curiosity, could I test one MP3 of a track, and the corresponding one in FLAC? Please...

Test how?  They're different things.

HEY!
What is this issue with Windows. I had those first FLACs of mine, but then went to Explorer, and dissapointed, saw that it does not show the metadata, like Artist etc.
What is wrong with integrating FLAC there?
Must it be always proprietary?

Windows is almost completely worthless at this.  It can't even see a lot of tags in MP3 files after 20 years.  MS basically does not care at all.  I think there are third party extensions for explorer that improve its tag handling and add new formats though.

Reply #2
I think there are third party extensions for explorer that improve its tag handling and add new formats though.

dbpoweramp includes a nice Windows Explorer extension that will display metadata from different file types on mouseover. It comes with codecs for FLAC and MP3, but for less common file formats you may need to install additional codecs.

Invaluable. It's the only part of dbpoweramp that I use.

Reply #3
Invaluable?

I've happily lived with explorer being completely ignorant of metadata in my audio files for years. In fact, music folders are configured to display the same thing as document folders:  filename, filetype, size, date modified and that's it.

I just don't see the big deal about eye candy or obsessing over bitrates.  What you need to get along nicely with your media player(s) is all that really matters.

Reply #4
Eye candy? No, a very handy tool.

The component I'm talking about only displays the metadata on mouseover. I believe the paid version of dbpoweramp has another Explorer extension that shows (and maybe allows editing of) the metadata within columns in Explorer, but I have no need for that. The feature I'm talking about is called 'Pop-up Information Tips' in the dbpoweramp configuration utility. I just want to be able to browse folders and be able view the metadata of any audio file. When I'm ripping a new album it's also a quick way to see whether I've finished tagging the album by adding things such as ArtistSort and ReplayGain.

Reply #5
I get it.  In fact, I used to use it.

I use other things these days (tag.exe, mp3tag, media players x, y and z) which don't have their tentacles in explorer. Not to mention that I have a routine that ensures my metadata is right the first time so that all this other stuff is unnecessary.

But hey, I now see why you find it invaluable. That's cool with me.

Reply #6
Taglib Property Handler:
A Windows Property Handler which backs onto Taglib, allowing Windows Explorer, Windows Search and other applications using the same API to access metadata from a wide range of media formats.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/taglibhandler/

WMP Tag Plus:
WMP Tag Plus is a free Windows Media Player plug-in that adds support for reading and writing tags (metadata) of additional music formats like FLAC, Ogg Vorbis and WavPack.
http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/wmptagplus/

How to enable FLAC support on Windows 8:
http://blog.dabasinskas.net/enable-flac-su...t-on-windows-8/

Reply #7
... In fact, music folders are configured to display the same thing as document folders:  filename, filetype, size, date modified and that's it.

If I remember correctly, this is not true.
In WIN7, by default, the Music folder, was configured to show:

Contributed Artists (I am pretty sure)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/7...er-details.html

Reply #8
...Strange...I couldnt find how I can edit my post.
So, I just enter it here the same and add what I wanted to add:
... In fact, music folders are configured to display the same thing as document folders:  filename, filetype, size, date modified and that's it.

If I remember correctly, this is not true.
In WIN7, by default, the Music folder, was configured to show:

Contributed Artists (I am pretty sure)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/7...er-details.html

..."right now, if i click the customize button and choose "music" for my music folders, it shows 'name', '#', 'title', 'contributing artists', and 'album' as sortable columns."

Reply #9
perhaps greynol's post would be easier to understand with this extra word i've added in bold...

In fact, my music folders are configured to display the same thing as document folders

Reply #10
Indeed.

It's hard to claim to be taken out of context when someone can claim not enough was provided.

Context is everything.

Reply #11
MediaInfo freeware is pretty nice for hovering over files to see the the format overview, and you can open with MediaInfo to see the format details.  I'm not sure if it shows metadata or not, but with MediaTab (also freeware) it shows a bit more in the explorer properties. 

Be a false negative of yourself!