Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there something wrong with these A to D transfers? (Read 2681 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there something wrong with these A to D transfers?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Hopefully someone can give me advice. I don't know much about technical details so I'm wondering what's wrong with these analog to digital transfers. It's the same material transferred using different equipment and different converters and codecs. Everything has been downsampled to 16/44 and thrown into EAC's process wav function. 2 of them are DSD transfers and 1 of those has a static noise that I can't get rid of. I can't seem to view the static on here but I can hear it and see it during silence on an audioeditor waveform (not pictured). The last one is a 24/96 transfer.

Here are the images.

Reply #1
What are you asking?

Reply #2
What are you asking?

Why are those spectral and freq analyses different? And can anyone here see the "static" transfer yet?

Reply #3
Are they ripped from different masters?

Reply #4
If i'm reading this right, you're noise floor is so low it should be inaudible. Unless you're boosting the volume during quiet parts?

Also, is there some reason you can't convert your DSD source to PCM digitally, without going through analog means?

Reply #5
Why are those spectral and freq analyses different?

I guess you answered it yourself: "transferred using different equipment and different converters and codecs".

Reply #6
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Hopefully someone can give me advice. I don't know much about technical details so I'm wondering what's wrong with these analog to digital transfers. It's the same material transferred using different equipment and different converters and codecs. Everything has been downsampled to 16/44 and thrown into EAC's process wav function. 2 of them are DSD transfers and 1 of those has a static noise that I can't get rid of. I can't seem to view the static on here but I can hear it and see it during silence on an audioeditor waveform (not pictured). The last one is a 24/96 transfer.

Here are the images.

I don't believe the third FFT is reliable because I expect it to look like the other 2.

Its hard to  make sense out of FFTs in this context on a linear frequency scale. Please redo with logarithmic.

The absence of relevant details about equipment and procedures is frustrating.

Reply #7
For the frequency analysis, I can't see where the cursor is in the time domain. I guess you're trying to show a "silent" moment? Depending on how 0dB on the plot is calibrated, that flat one at about -90dB isn't very good - but maybe the frequency analysis is (at least partly) covering a click or impulse at the start of the recording, which (IME) would offset the whole graph upwards in a straight line like that. That would mean it's not telling you anything about the actual noise floor. The kink up at the left of the other two plots could be a DC offset, hum, something horrible, or something benign. On that scale, it's hard to tell. Your lowest frequency bin covers everything up to ~86Hz.

On the spectrogram, it shows different low pass (anti-alias) filter designs.

Note that on this kind of scale, all kinds of very audible differences could be completely invisible, yet other inaudible differences can be easily seen. Being able to say "I can hear a difference but I can't see it" or "I can see a difference but I can't hear it" are both unsurprising.

As Andrew suggested, if you have the DSD stream in the digital domain, there are direct all-digital ways of converting it. foobar2k offers some options. There are others.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #8
If i'm reading this right, you're noise floor is so low it should be inaudible. Unless you're boosting the volume during quiet parts?

Also, is there some reason you can't convert your DSD source to PCM digitally, without going through analog means?

Same masters. I converted everything to PCM digitally. Different software, yet I get similar results. Here's the waveform of the 2nd half of transfers 1 and 2.

Reply #9
Here's the waveform of the 2nd half of transfers 1 and 2.

And what are the samplerates of these waves?

Reply #10
Here's the waveform of the 2nd half of transfers 1 and 2.

And what are the samplerates of these waves?

16/44 redbook from DSD 2.8mhz (top) and DSD 5.6mhz (bottom). Using Audiogate software, JRiver, and Sony MediaGo give me same results as far as the noise is concerned. Even when transferring to different bitrates and samplerates its the same. I wouldn't care about this material, as you can see I have a good transfer without that noise. But I have other transfers done in the same way that I only have 1 transfer with the static noise. I have only used this example to show the noise. I need to get rid of that noise to save the other material without having to do them over again, which will be costly.

Reply #11
I have no idea... Convert your DSD 2.8MHz  to 352.8 kHz 24 bit WAV and upload a small sample somewhere. Maybe it will help to find something.

Reply #12
Using Audiogate software, JRiver, and Sony MediaGo give me same results as far as the noise is concerned.
Have you tried foobar2k?

Can you post some samples?

Needless to say, most people don't see this problem, so there must be something different about your source or your set-up.

Cheers,
David.