Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replay Gain for unsupported file formats (Read 3960 times) previous topic - next topic

Replay Gain for unsupported file formats

hello!

so foobar2000 is my first choice for playing audio files.
usually i have my music in .flac format now, but playing files like .ac3 as well.
and now i also use foobar to play like any kind of video game audio files.

so finally my question is:

will there be Replay Gain support for like "all" files someday? in this case for formats like .xa,, .adx., spc., etc..

Re: Replay Gain for unsupported file formats

Reply #1
As far as I know it is format dependent first, and audio player only conforms to what format allows to do. Some formats doesn't allow adding any metadata to them at all. The only way that these files could be supported for storing RG is usage of external, small metadata-only files for each such file, however I wouldn't expect anyone is going to bother to introduce it in foobar's core (but that's just my personal opinion based on observation). You can check M-Tags component and check if it allows for storing RG in its external database for files that normally don't support it, but I doubt it. Anyway - check it. It costs nothing but your time :)

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_tags

Reply #2
thank you!

Reply #3
you could use kode54's normalizer R128 DSP which applies normalization/ReplayGain in a non destructive manner in realtime on files, without them being tagged as such. You can even do so on Internet streams or emulated content.

Reply #4
It uses a bit of lookahead, and tries to keep the volume level from getting too loud, or staying too quiet for too long. It doesn't compress dynamics in a rapid fashion, though, or in a multi-band equalizer sort of way, either.

Reply #5
you could use kode54's normalizer R128 DSP which applies normalization/ReplayGain in a non destructive manner in realtime on files, without them being tagged as such. You can even do so on Internet streams or emulated content.
It uses a bit of lookahead, and tries to keep the volume level from getting too loud, or staying too quiet for too long. It doesn't compress dynamics in a rapid fashion, though, or in a multi-band equalizer sort of way, either.

hey that's just awesome. a real time normalization is just exatly what i need. i will check this out right now. sure, in real time the every audion signal information, whether it is a quiet part or a loud part, will just be normalized without the differences between. but let me check it.

btw i tried m-tags and it is great. i just checked it. i am sure there is a way to read the tags from the files and copy them fast into the m-tag file, since foobar shows only tags from the m-tag file when using m-tag.

Reply #6
For M-Tag you should check for its dedicated thread here at HA, and maybe there is an answer how to transfer tags between databases (file based and M-Tags based). Thread should be linked on component's download page.

Reply #7
i will check it, thanks.

and the R128 normalization. it delivers some sort of real radio feeling somehow. it is definetely a great option for parties (in my case).

i am not a programmer, even if interested, but when the lookahead is seeing a louder part coming, the sound gets noticeable reduced in also noticeable steps.

if i could program this, i would add an exponential curve that gets applied to the part where the sound gets loude (or quiet), i mean to deliver a "smooth" loudness change.

it sounds pretty easy to look at this with simple mathmatical terms, but like i said i do not know code (except some html), so i do not know if this is going to be lots of work to implement. but it would be great!

Reply #8
For smooth loudness changes use a compressor for the microdynamics, rather than a "leveller" for the macrodynamics.

Reply #9
Like vlevel? I used it and I remember it was working fine.. . Should we recommend vlevel to hakadespra?