Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [NECROPOST] From: [request] change foobar's gap-handling behaviour (Read 1552 times) previous topic - next topic

[NECROPOST] From: [request] change foobar's gap-handling behaviour

I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a request because I don't know if it's intentional ... but fact is, foobar's converter is altering audio-data without explicitly being told to, and I did not find an option to turn it off. The problem is it's handling of the first pregap in a CUE. let me give an example:

before
Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Neo-Klassik
REM DATE 2003
REM DISCID 8308F70A
PERFORMER "Jacques Bono"
TITLE "Breaking Free"
FILE "Jaques Bono - Breaking Free.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "J.S.Bach: Suite I (BWV 1007) Prélude"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:01:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "J.S.Bach: Suite I (BWV 1007) Allemande"
    FLAGS DCP
    INDEX 00 02:04:57
    INDEX 01 02:06:43

after
Code: [Select]
REM GENRE Neo-Klassik
REM DATE 2003
REM DISCID 8308F70A
PERFORMER "Jacques Bono"
TITLE "Breaking Free"
FILE "CDImage.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "J.S.Bach: Suite I (BWV 1007) Prélude"
    PREGAP 00:01:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "J.S.Bach: Suite I (BWV 1007) Allemande"
    INDEX 00 02:03:57
    INDEX 01 02:05:43

notice the difference? the INDEX 00/INDEX 01 combination is turned into a PREGAP/INDEX 01 combination. This would not be a big deal, but foobar is cutting of the first second of the image! and this is crucial. it alters the CRC value of the image so that the EAC calculated CRC is useless and even worse, if there is audio (e.g. a hidden track) in this first few seconds or minutes (Songs for the Deaf by QotSA has a pregap of ~1:30min) it is lost. this renders the converter virtually useless for Images with embedded CUE sheets, at least for all with such a gap before the first track. this behaviour is new I think ... please make it the way it behaved before!

Well, that's because foobar is pretty much stupid program and adds gaps to previous track, this is why it cuts the first pregap, there is no previous track to add it to, in fact, the gaps should be added to the next track, if you use Medieval Cue Splitter, then there is no problrm, as it adds gaps correctly as intros to the next tracks, as they are meant to be.

Reply #1
You are mistaken. You are free to use tools that allow ripping hidden track from the first pregap and you are also free to force yourself to start every track with the silence or audio from previous tracks but don't go on claiming that this is how CD rippers should work.

Edit: I didn't reread the thread and relied on my memory that this was about CD ripping. As a workaround for losing hidden track with full images you could convert the image file alone separately and then just add a cue for it.
This has been a low priority issue for Peter and he hasn't had interest to add support for hidden track gimmicks in the past.

Reply #2
I liked that comment about there being "no problems" if Medieval CUE splitter is used...