Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What media player are are you using for listening to audio?

Winamp2
[ 90 ] (24.1%)
Winamp3
[ 4 ] (1.1%)
Sonique
[ 0 ] (0%)
WindowsMediaPlayer
[ 8 ] (2.1%)
WindowsMediaPlayer Classic
[ 8 ] (2.1%)
RealOnePlayer
[ 0 ] (0%)
Foobar2k
[ 235 ] (62.8%)
ZoomPlayer
[ 2 ] (0.5%)
some other DVD/video player
[ 3 ] (0.8%)
some player I forgot to add
[ 24 ] (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 417

Topic: What media-player are are you using? (Read 51562 times) previous topic - next topic

What media-player are are you using?

So that's gonna be very interesting...
I sadly didn't have have space to include some other famous players I know of, just check the last option if you use one of them.
regards,
Digga
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #1
I use iTunes, MacAmp Lite X, Audion, and XMMS.
Guess though you're just interested in PC progs.

Reply #2
WinAmp2 because of MExp Plug-in and Adapt-X plug-in.

Embrace for impact! This thread will soon turn into fb2k mania heaven. 
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #3
I don't know what Windows Media Player Classic is.
There is Windows Media Player on one side. One the other side there is Media Player Classic.
And Media Player Classic has nothing to do with Windows. It is developped by Gabest. The only common point with Windows is that it really looks like Windows Media Player 7. That's all. But, Media Player Classic is just much better.

BTW, I use both fb2k for audio files and Media Player Classic for video files, but had to vote only once.

Reply #4
I use iTunes, MacAmp Lite X, Audion, and XMMS.
Guess though you're just interested in PC progs.

Yes, that's right, maybe I didn't made the question clear enough... Sorry.
As Windos-user seem to be the majority here, I found that quite fitting 

Reply #6
I don't know what Windows Media Player Classic is.
There is Windows Media Player on one side. One the other side there is Media Player Classic.
And Media Player Classic has nothing to do with Windows. It is developped by Gabest. The only common point with Windows is that it really looks like Windows Media Player 7. That's all. But, Media Player Classic is just much better.

Your are right about that, my mistake.

Reply #7
I am biased for "The Core Media Player"  but still use WA2 and MPC for other things.
Dan "BetaBoy" Marlin
Founder CoreCodec
The Future of Audio/Video Development and Technology

Reply #8
I use 1by1, it uses less resources than foobar2k for me.

Reply #9
Yeah it's interesting to see how many people have changed preferences since last month.

I am biased for "The Core Media Player"

Well, it brings a little variaty to usual pool at least.

We have draw btw. Time to place bets.

Reply #10
QCD

Reply #11
DBpowerAmp and QCD also

Reply #12
You forgot Coolplayer.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #13
I use xmms

Reply #14
Xmms when Wine refuses to obey. 

Reply #15
I'm using foobar2000, but somebody could say that my player is a rare hybrid of Winamp 2, Windows Media (6.4, of course) and foobar2000. 

Reply #16
Perhaps there should be separate polls for music players and video players, because there's so many players around ..

I use XMPlay for music and Bsplayer for video.

Reply #17
Perhaps there should be separate polls for music players and video players, because there's so many players around ..

A poll for audio player was already made last month:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=10369
Still, there were too many players to mention them all.

A poll for video players could be created @Off-Topic (or @Doom9), why not?

Reply #18
I'm the only one so far who voted for Windows Media Player...I'm not sure how to feel about that, like a standout or like a leper.   

Anyway, I use it and dBpowerAMP for audio and Intervideo WinDVD Platinum for video (only because I get an ugly interference line down the right side of the window when viewing a DVD in WMP).

I've used WMP for a long time because it's easy.  I originally let it do everything for me: rip, encode and manage.  Now, I don't use it for ripping or encoding at all, but I still use it to manage.  I know there are probably better tools out there, though.  As a player, dBpowerAMP has more flexibility IMO, with more available plug-ins, so I'm using it more and more often.  But I still prefer WMP's playlist management, as long as "automatic media info updating" is turned off to prevent it from moving my music around.   

I'd really like to figure out how to use FB2K since everyone seems to rave about it, but it just seems really cryptic to me.  It seems like FB2K is to digital audio players what UNIX is to operating systems...very complex but very powerful.  I'll keep trying at it...

Reply #19
Xmms for audio, and mplayer for video.  My Windows using friends are jealous of mplayer because it plays more formats than anything else. 
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #20
I am most definitely in the foobar2k camp - have tried many other players out there in the past few years and foobar has the best balance of nice GUI and functionality for me. (probably about what I posted in the last thread on this topic)

I use XMMS for the currently rare moments that I have linux up - I only have one monitor for both my win crash box and *nix system and the win box is normally using it recently.

Reply #21
foobar2000 because I can configure every detail to my taste, and it has no will of it's own to make strange things happen.

Reply #22
You forgot Coolplayer.

Coolplayer is horrible. Thank god for yours.

Reply #23
I'm using Winamp2 for audio and Media Player Classic for video.

Reply #24
winamp 2.  Still great for me.