Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Realone V2 Locks Their Playback Engine (Read 3357 times) previous topic - next topic

Realone V2 Locks Their Playback Engine

Media Jukebox has used the Real playback engine for more than two years.  Suddenly, with the latest release of RealOne (version two), it stopped working.  After some detective work, we now know why.  It is not good news for users.

The details are in one of my posts here:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c...3242206;start=0

Reply #1
I realize that Real is in a fight for life against M$, but tactics like this can only alienate people.  With the public and Microsoft both against them, their future is bleak indeed.  All I can say is thank god for OGG!

Reply #2
They've already alienated me... every time I listen to something with Realplayer 8.0 (and believe me, it's just short clips when there's nothing else available) some stupid upgrade warning pops up... EVERY TIME.  And I have Startcenter and every single other optional thing turned off.  Hell with 'em.

Reply #3
and companies wonder why otherwise law-abiding citizens use cracks to circumvent their software protection...  Programs like Quicktime and Real are on the top of the intrusiveness scale.  Taskbar icons, upgrade nags, connecting to a remote server who knows what..  What do they expect us to do?

Reply #4
"and companies wonder why otherwise law-abiding citizens use cracks to circumvent their software protection..."

Actually i don't think they do. I think they know exactly why. I think they don't care as long it's in a small scale. I think they have plenty of ways to know if it's in a small scale too. If they see that it's too much, they'll start changing their strategies. Sometimes if they're too lame though, they won't.. They'll just throw "legal actions" all over.
In the case of Kazaa for example, Sherman Networks really don't care much about the fact that many people use Kazaa Lite, MUCH more many people use the regular Kazaa. So their losses aren't too big at all. They know all the reason/s people use Kazaa Lite, and they won't change their strategy (yet) since so far it's working great for them as it is.
In the case of Real Networks, they suck... They have very powerful connections with companies. Hollywood companies for example. Say, WB for example, they'll release a preview of a new movie in Real media format, so people will STILL download Real's software although they are the worst ever.
And companies that support Real STINK.

Reply #5
But The worse is that many sites still uses Quicktime and realplayer in they're movies or in Movie trailers... Long life DivX
Made in Portugal

Reply #6
yep, the only reason I have quicktime installed is because ign.com uses it exclusively for trailers.  Otherwise I'd love to give it the boot.

Reply #7
I like the reviews of RealOne 2 at FileForum

Reply #8
I realize that Real is in a fight for life against M$, but tactics like this can only alienate people.

Oh yeah, I don't think they're in a fight for life either... I think they're dead already (the original company was bought out several years ago).  The RealAudio format used to be king back in earlier days on the Web (1995-1998 perhaps) before WMA, MP3 and the rest came along.  It actually sounded "listenable" (especially for mono voice) streaming over 14.4k and 28.8k modems, and of course had no spyware, no 'start center' and no bloat back in the mid 90's.

I think they're riding only on leftover glories (and what little they can scavenge from people subscribing to 'Gold Pass' memberships).  Amazon.com is probably helping keep them alive too with most of the music clips being in RealAudio format.

Reply #9
fewtch: If you use this plugin, you can play real audio in winamp. You still need realplayer installed, but at least you never have to open it and face those popups and that slow program...