Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended CDs (Read 4388 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended CDs

I've tried to search the internet and hydrogenaudio for info regarding this, but haven't found anything really.

I'd like to know if there exists a list of CDs (preferrably with lots of rock and metal) that has great production, mastering and sound quality, evaluated by audiophiles.

Of course, the list should contain details about which release of the CD it refers to, as remasters and other reissues may not be good at all.
/Agitator

List of recommended CDs

Reply #1
I've tried to search the internet and hydrogenaudio for info regarding this, but haven't found anything really.

I'd like to know if there exists a list of CDs (preferrably with lots of rock and metal) that has great production, mastering and sound quality, evaluated by audiophiles.

Of course, the list should contain details about which release of the CD it refers to, as remasters and other reissues may not be good at all.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243819"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, one would hope that this list was not prepared by audiophiles  , but rather by actual sound engineers  . That would be a good list.

List of recommended CDs

Reply #2
Yeah, as long as they weren't crappy sound engineers, hungering to promote their own poor productions
/Agitator

List of recommended CDs

Reply #3
I don't know any lists, but despite metal being seldom talked about, I enjoy Steve Hoffman's forum.  It's full of "audiophiles" and of course Steve Hoffman the mastering engineer.

List of recommended CDs

Reply #4

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I couldn't resist but register just to answer this one. I have made that search for years and the best I've found is these two:

[a href="http://www.digido.com]www.digido.com[/url] and go to CD Honor Roll

and

www.soundstage.com

Not much hard stuff but is not the authors fault but rock producers. You have a few honorable exceptions in modern days: Tool, Korn and Rage. These rockers are smarter than many selfproclaimed musical geniuses and they know than better sound makes stronger music.
I hope you enjoy the lists  and please let me know your comments later. I'll think about more recommendations for you.

List of recommended CDs

Reply #5
I don't know any lists, but despite metal being seldom talked about, I enjoy Steve Hoffman's forum.  It's full of "audiophiles" and of course Steve Hoffman the mastering engineer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243830"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where have been the metal records talked about, can you send us a link, please?
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

List of recommended CDs

Reply #6
I don't listen much to metal, but among a ten of CDs, I have some that are quite well recorded :

McTätus - Provenance of cruelty. Very compressed, with little high frequency clipping, if you have trained ears. But clear and wide soundstage. Black metal.
Examples of track gain : -10.24 db ; -9.40 db.

Artrosis - Posrod Kwiatow I Cieni (In the Flowers Shade).
Nothing to say about this one. All correct. Pop / Metal with keyboards. Female voice only.
Album gain : -6.58 db

List of recommended CDs

Reply #7
Yeah, as long as they weren't crappy sound engineers, hungering to promote their own poor productions
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243826"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd say as long as they aren't the ones running soundboards at a lot of concerts who are already 90% deaf from too much sonic abuse.