Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoder pack False Positive. (Read 2701 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoder pack False Positive.

So mcafeee is flagging https://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
I have sent them the link to the program and they returned

McAfee Labs - Beaverton
Current Scan Engine Version:6100.8979
Current DAT Version:10160.0000
Thank you for your submission.

Analysis ID: 11080951

File Name            Findings                       Detection                    Type         Extra
--------------------|------------------------------|----------------------------|------------|-----
free_encoder_pack-20|current detection             |rdn/generic.dx              |Trojan      |no

current detection [free_encoder_pack-2021-01-26.exe]

The file submitted is malware that can be detected with current DAT files. It is
recommended that you update your DAT and engine files and scan your computer again.

Note –

Due to the prevalence of network gateway AV products, it is important that all
submissions be zipped and the zip file password-protected (password - infected). Some
products will reject an email that contains a virus that is not sent in this way. In
addition, often we receive a file that appears not to have been infected, to find
later that the file was infected when it left the sender, and was cleaned somewhere
along the line.

Regards,

McAfee Labs

This is an issue as I can't use the encoder pack now...

Re: Encoder pack False Positive.

Reply #1
Maybe the encoder and app should stop using NSIS, since it's clearly the installer of choice for malware.

Reply #2
So mcafeee is flagging

NSIS, since it's clearly the installer of choice for malware.

I find McAfee on the list at https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Users .

(That was not a rebuttal.)

Reply #3
Yeah mcafee itself was included with a different application, and I was curious why it did that, so mcafee is a bit of a hyprotic in this.

Reply #4
This is an issue as I can't use the encoder pack now...
If your antivirus is preventing you from downloading this, here is a zipped version I extracted from the installer.  Unzip the contents to the foobar2000 "encoders" sub-folder (or create same if you never had it), letting it overwrite any existing content.  All credit to Case of course for this must-have package.

Reply #5
It still flagged it .___.
Why Mcafee?

Reply #7
It still flagged it .___.
Why Mcafee?
Your link shows that Mcafee has NOT flagged it, so you should be able to download that zip now no problem.  The fact that only 2 out of 61 vendors ("Kingsoft" and "MaxSecure") flagged it should not be a concern, as I would assume that ratio is par for the course for just about anything using compression.  Your other option would be to locate and download each encoder separately and 5 will get you 10 that at least one of those won't get a 100% pass at VirusTotal.

Reply #8
Okay Cool :D
Though, I really wish I could just run the installer without admin :(, and pick where it goes

Reply #9
Okay Cool :D
Though, I really wish I could just run the installer without admin :(, and pick where it goes
Actually you can put the contents anywhere, as long as you point Foobar to the chosen location of the encoder.  You can do that in the "edit" window of the "Quick Convert" dialog, as below, using the "..." browse button in the marked box..  I recommend though that you put all the contents in one place to not break any file dependencies.

Reply #10
I mainly want to just make it do it automatically, and not have to edit it manually to do it myself.

Reply #12
LAME has always been Open Source, but until a year or a few years ago, it was encumbered by patents.

Reply #13
it appears to be built into audacity now.

Reply #15
I am saying it can just be built into foobar2000, than being built into the encoder pack.

Reply #16
foobar2000 doesn't build in any encoders. And it probably won't, either. If you want a version that requires the encoders to be compiled into plugins, please see: version 0.8.3. I hear it also works on Windows 9x.

Reply #17
Is there a way that we could get a normal portable bundle install of the foobar2000 encoder pack?