Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does Foobar really modify my files? (Read 3632 times) previous topic - next topic

Does Foobar really modify my files?

Hello,

I am a foobar newbie and i must admit i am really impressed. Just a question, when i put an album (directory) on foobar to play then i see from windows explorer that foobar changes the "modified" date tag to the date/time the album/directory is played. Why is that? is this harmfull?

Another question. Why does foobar sound so loud (good)? With winamp i always have to  turn the volume up and down because albums have different volumes but rarely with foobar. Does replaygain have something to do with that?

thank you

Reply #1
1) Do you have a component that changes tags every time a song is played, eg. Play Counter? Naturally, if a tag is edited, then the files modification date will change in Windows Explorer. If that's the case, it's just editing the metadata of the song and there's no impact on sound quality. So, it's harmless.

2) Well, replaygain should do the opposite - make things quieter. It normalizes albums based on their peak level, so Iron Maiden albums won't be 20 dB louder than a Pink Floyd album. My guess is you have a few DSPs enabled that increase the loudness of the song.
</signature>

Reply #2
1) Do you have a component that changes tags every time a song is played, eg. Play Counter? Naturally, if a tag is edited, then the files modification date will change in Windows Explorer. If that's the case, it's just editing the metadata of the song and there's no impact on sound quality. So, it's harmless.

2) Well, replaygain should do the opposite - make things quieter. It normalizes albums based on their peak level, so Iron Maiden albums won't be 20 dB louder than a Pink Floyd album. My guess is you have a few DSPs enabled that increase the loudness of the song.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279138"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1. can i stop this?

2. yes correct. I see that DSP volume controll is enabled. Does this have to do anything with it?

thank you for your support

Reply #3
and just another question so as not to start a new thread. Winamps media library is very helpfull to me. I see foobar has a database tab, but i can see only a database search. How can i add the drives and folders i want foobar to scan AND MONITOR for new entries so that then i canm search from "database search"

thank you

Reply #4
How can i add the drives and folders i want foobar to scan AND MONITOR for new entries so that then i canm search from "database search"
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's no built-in solution for that, but there's a plugin that has that feature: playlist tree. However, this component it's in the [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17872]known problematic components list[/url], so you could have some stability issues with fb2k.

There's a feature that do this:

1) Scan database
2) Remove dead entries
3) Remove dead entries for static folders
4) Refresh all Playlist Tree queries.

Check these link for more information:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=277293
http://www.bowron.us/forum

Reply #5
And about the loudness: perhaps you're using Kernel Streaming as the output mode? It's quite often louder than DirectSound and waveOut (at least if you have set teh Windows mixer volume low).

Reply #6
1. can i stop this?

Yes, you can stop foobar from modifying your audio files.
Method 1: go to the settings of foobar, on the database panel, check "block tag updating operations."
Method 2: Use the Windows Explorer to set the "Read-only" property on all your audio files.
Hope this helps.

Reply #7
1. can i stop this?

Yes, you can stop foobar from modifying your audio files.
Method 1: go to the settings of foobar, on the database panel, check "block tag updating operations."
Method 2: Use the Windows Explorer to set the "Read-only" property on all your audio files.
Hope this helps.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279239"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can also just remove any components that modify your tags without user input everytime you play them.

Reply #8
About loudness, do you have the volume set to 0dB?