Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to make EAC write tags and cue in UTF-8? (Read 10276 times) previous topic - next topic

How to make EAC write tags and cue in UTF-8?

Hi.
Not sure if the subject was on the board already, so my apologizes in advance.

Thing is, whenever I got a chinese or japanese CD and ripping it w/Exact Audio Copy, there is plane dots in cue file instead of hieroglyphs, and question marks in tags of ripped flac tracks.
How do I make EAC to use UTF-8 in cue files and tags?

Thanks.

Reply #1
bump

Reply #2
I just moved posts violating various Terms of Service, including seemingly contributing nothing relevant, to the Recycle Bin. I might have been inclined to delete the bump too… but I think it’s fair enough after waiting 3+ weeks.

Reply #3
I searched a bit, and found a few people with the same problem. Googling stuff like "eac unicode" finds a few forum threads.
Some people suggested that if you're getting your tags from an online database, freedb for example, the characters may not have been properly encoded there.
But if that was the case you would see it in the EAC window before ripping.

Honestly, i have no clue what's wrong
What you can do, and what people suggested in the threads i found, is just use different software to tag the files, such as Foobar or MP3tag. Both support online databases, by the way.
As for the Cue sheet, i have no suggestions because i haven't needed any cuesheet software yet, but i know there are a few good options out there.

Reply #4
From my experience:
1. it is normal that cue doesn't contain any Unicode characters when used. After opening it in editor like Notepad I got question marks in every place when such character was placed. There is not workaround forthis, probably because of point 2.
2. I edited manually several cue sheets and replaced question marks with correct characters and saved resulting file as Unicode/UTF-8/UTF-16 when prompted. Result was always the same - such cue was usefull for foobar, but not for any other software, like burning programs.  I think that non ANSI-only .cue is simply incompatible with some specifications, which were built before Unicode and UTF started to be widely supported, thus most application doesn't expect anything else than ANSI in .cue files.

Reply #5
What you can do, and what people suggested in the threads i found, is just use different software to tag the files, such as Foobar or MP3tag.

That isn't a solution at all. We got version 1.03 on our hands and this still wasn't fixed?

I edited manually several cue sheets and replaced question marks with correct characters and saved resulting file as Unicode/UTF-8/UTF-16 when prompted. Result was always the same - such cue was usefull for foobar, but not for any other software

You might be right about Unicode, but UTF encoding for the cues works just fine. Heck, Mp3Tag can read those cues. Same as it can make audio files contain glyphs and other non-ansi symbols in their tags, properly.
And even if Mp3Tag can, why can't EAC?

I think what EAC needs for sure is a little option that would allow write cues using UTF.
But I still don't know what makes it write tags in question marks(when it comes to non-ansi symbols). Any thoughts?