Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Capitalization of UI elements (Read 5357 times) previous topic - next topic

Capitalization of UI elements

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default..../html/ch14d.asp

[...]
Capitalization

Correct capitalization helps readers identify important words and breaks in text, as shown in Figure 14.24. Two styles of capitalization are used for interface text: book title capitalization (also referred to as title caps) and sentence-style capitalization (also known as sentence caps).

Capitalization and punctuation

Figure 14.24 Capitalization and punctuation of user interface text (click to enlarge image)

For book title capitalization, capitalize the first letter of the first and last words. Also capitalize all words in between, with the exception of articles (such as a, an, and the); coordinate conjunctions (such as and, but, for, not, or, so, and yet); and prepositions of four letters or fewer (such as at, for, with, and into). For example:

Insert Object
Paste Link
Save As
Go To
Always on Top
By Name

Use book title capitalization for the following elements:

* Column headings
    * Command button labels
    * Icon labels
    * Menu names and menu commands
    * Palette titles
    * Tab titles
    * Title bar text
    * Toolbars and toolbar button labels
    * ToolTips
    * Web page titles and Web navigational elements (unless otherwise defined by your page design)

[...]

Why doesn't Foobar2000 follow the microsoft guidelines?

Reply #1
Why doesn't Foobar2000 follow the microsoft guidelines?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367752"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Man, you're one to complain... 
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #2
I'm not complaining but I agree with masa2005.

Reply #3
Perhaps the developers just capitalised as they wished? No, wait, that's almost certainly what happened.

Reply #4
I'm not complaining but I agree with masa2005.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=367772"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks.

Opera and WinRAR also has this problem. It took me long time to figure out,
why these programm's menus are so hard to use.

Reply #5
I must admit, I prefer the look of Proper Case used in labels, menus, etc.  I had a bit of a pop at john33 for his capitisation (yes, with an "s") in LAMEdropXPd a good while back.  And yes, I am anal.

That said, when something works as well as foobar and LAMEdropXPd, I really couldn't give a fetid dingo's kidney if it used cowboy case.

With regard to the original question, I think I subscribe to TBO's explanation.

Opera and WinRAR also has this problem. It took me long time to figure out, why these programm's menus are so hard to use.
  OK, maybe I'm not anal.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #6
Haha, kidney. That sure is random!  And, on the subject of... er... anality, you spelt 'capitalisation' wrong.

Reply #7
2 of the menus are correct though. Library and Help.

Reply #8
I'm also anal about this! Change it, please

Reply #9
Does it really affect your experience using the program that badly?

Reply #10
It's just something that's relatively easy to change and that should be done this way. So I think it is reasonable to just do it, preferrably before the 0.9 release.

Reply #11
It might be easy to change, but it's certainly that type of task no one likes to do because it's boring and doesn't add any immediately recognisable value to the programme.

Also easy doesn't mean done quickly. Imagine checking the complete fb2k UI for standard capitalisation. That's gonna take a while.

My opinion: Keep the issue in mind because little things like this tend to give a programme a more professional look & feel. But high priority isn't needed at all.

Brother John

Reply #12
Also, proper capitalization shouldn't be all that difficult; Just search for menu items with a ' ' and fix those. Or if you're so inclined, set up a script that can detect pronouns, first/last words, and prepositions with less than four words.

Of course, plugin developers will have to follow suit...