Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What is the bitrate of your Opus files?

16 kbps or less
[ 3 ] (1.6%)
24 kbps
[ 0 ] (0%)
32 kbps
[ 1 ] (0.5%)
48 kbps
[ 6 ] (3.3%)
64 kbps
[ 15 ] (8.2%)
80 kbps
[ 14 ] (7.7%)
96 kbps
[ 28 ] (15.4%)
112 kbps
[ 6 ] (3.3%)
128 kbps
[ 47 ] (25.8%)
145 kbps
[ 3 ] (1.6%)
160 kbps
[ 26 ] (14.3%)
175 kbps
[ 3 ] (1.6%)
192 kbps
[ 12 ] (6.6%)
224 kbps
[ 2 ] (1.1%)
256 kbps
[ 10 ] (5.5%)
280 kbps
[ 0 ] (0%)
320 kbps
[ 3 ] (1.6%)
350 kbps
[ 0 ] (0%)
More than 350 kbps
[ 3 ] (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Voting closed: 2018-12-31 16:45:53

Topic: What is the bitrate of your Opus files? (Read 68357 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What is the bitrate of your Opus files?

Reply #50
If you're fine with that bitrate you may as well just use a time domain subband codec like MusePack or hell, even MP2, and enjoy the perfect temporal resolution. Throwing more bits at a transform codec doesn't do much to fix their fundamental shortcomings beyond 192 kbps.
Is there any  recent blind test which  indicates superiority of MPC over other codecs?

I've found only these old tests:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,36465.msg321547.html#msg321547

And  this old one
http://listening-tests.freetzi.com/html/Multiformat_128kbps_public_listening_test_results.htm

Reply #51
256 kbps - because with that rate i am 100% on the secure side of sound quality - and works great for converting Amiga/C64 music too.

If you're fine with that bitrate you may as well just use a time domain subband codec like MusePack or hell, even MP2, and enjoy the perfect temporal resolution. Throwing more bits at a transform codec doesn't do much to fix their fundamental shortcomings beyond 192 kbps.
I don't understand at all what you call out as time-domain, when your examples of MP2 and MPC are both frequency-domain.

Reply #52
Here is  a personal test @200 kbps Opus/Musepack/Apple AAC/Vorbis/MP3 of HA member, StreveForteRio
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Faudiophilesoft.ru%2Fnews%2F200_kbps_abc%2F2014-06-27-105

Avearge results:

Opus - 5 (all samples are transparent)
Musepack - 5 (all samples are transparent)
Apple/QAAC - 4.6
Vorbis - 4.4
LAME - 3.6

Reply #53
I don't understand at all what you call out as time-domain, when your examples of MP2 and MPC are both frequency-domain.

Well they both use a simple filter to split the spectrum into 32 bands but each band is PCM coded. A full blown FFT can be used for psychoacoustic decisions but that data is discarded.

Reply #54

Still does not change the fact that i love to convert with Opus - it has become my favorite Open Source codec. Flawless in every kind of ways :)

Reply #55
320 kbps vbr. This matches the same file size as mp3 320 but with much higher quality. Even then if you cherry pick your songs you can still guess the flac. I like keeping 320 as the standard number.

Reply #56
320 kbps vbr. This matches the same file size as mp3 320 but with much higher quality. [...]
sorry, can't refrain:
x kbps vbr. This matches the same file size as mp3 x but with much higher quality
    there x>0
;)

Reply #57
320 kbps vbr. This matches the same file size as mp3 320 but with much higher quality. [...] I like keeping 320 as the standard number.

Which, in this particular case-  i.e, not being properly backed up by a blind test - quite possibly translates into an overkill as well as a TOS #8 infrigement.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #58
`--bitrate 128 --no-phase-inv`
128 because 96 is where it starts to be transparent for me and I'd like to have a little bit of safety margin
--no-phase-inv because from what I've read I definitely don't want out of phase sounds; if it decides it not worthy to encode sound location the it'd better be just normal mono instead of out of phase mono. Opus encoder will probably not use this trick at this quality level anyway, but this option shouldn't hurt either way...
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #59
`--bitrate 128 --no-phase-inv`
128 because 96 is where it starts to be transparent for me and I'd like to have a little bit of safety margin
--no-phase-inv because from what I've read I definitely don't want out of phase sounds; if it decides it not worthy to encode sound location the it'd better be just normal mono instead of out of phase mono. Opus encoder will probably not use this trick at this quality level anyway, but this option shouldn't hurt either way...

Then it is worth using --no-phase-inv? Disables the use of phase inversion for intensity stereo. Because that exchanges some stereo quality for a higher quality mono down mix, which they say is useful when you encode stereo audio that will probably become mono after decoding.
It reminds me of the discussion of stereo vs. joint stereo vs. intensity stereo.

Reply #60
One metric I use for lossy codecs is the 1MB/minute rule.  Regardless if its Opus, AAC-itunes, Vorbis or LAME, to my ears, whatever the latter codecs, it is fine.  Anything greater 1MB/Min vbr encoding in my opinion, is diminishing return to quality/storage consumption.

Reply #61
mobile i choose ogg 320kbps or Flac, sample rate 44100Hz.

Some reason for large sound system like Car/Home Theater/Small studio i choose
FLAC with original bitrate
sample rate to 44100Hz
or
OGG 500Kbps
sample rate 44100Hz
VBR

Did i made mistake Converting to 500kpbs OGG ?
Doesn't like M4A ALAC because seems like Lossless so i still prefer FLAC.

I want Loossy format with quality like Original bitrate Flac and sample rate 44100Hz, so which OPUS bitrate matches like that ? could you tell me your experience on high bitrate OPUS (I mean over 128kbps) ?
Opus 96-192Kbps and Aac-lc 96-128Kbps
Source 32bit floating point is fine don't need dithering (dB noise -758dBFS that's a lot)
Source Fixed Point aka Integer should use dithering to prevent truncation distortion
Source is RAW

Reply #63
I want Loossy format with quality like Original bitrate Flac and sample rate 44100Hz [...]
LossyFLAC
aah thanks
Opus 96-192Kbps and Aac-lc 96-128Kbps
Source 32bit floating point is fine don't need dithering (dB noise -758dBFS that's a lot)
Source Fixed Point aka Integer should use dithering to prevent truncation distortion
Source is RAW

Reply #64
I've settled on 128kbps, Since i notice no artifact's on metal and other genres. While +160kbps for some more stressful music.   
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #65
96 kbps itunes aac
116 kbps ffmpeg opus
128 kbps mp3 lame
140 kbps libopus 03-08-2019
160 kbps libopus 1.3

Reply #66
I use opus for portable listening only. I go with 192 kbps since think nowadays it just isn't worth it anymore going on a quest for the lowest transparent bitrate. We have plenty of cheap storage space at home and online, plenty of bandwitdth in our internet connections. So i just set the bitrate way higher than it needs to be. It gets the files small enough and saves me a lot of time and headaches. Set and forget. It's only a question of *when* i will be able to fit my whole lossless collection on a portable device anyway. In a few years, transcoding an audio file will feel kinda like compressing your text documents. Quite unnecessary.

Reply #67
With actual ABX'ing i can get away with 80kbps for 85% of my stuff, Putting my harsher stuff to the side since i have no idea what setting i picked yet with space saving vs SQ in mind.
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #70
It also may be a statement of the poster's own hearing ability when confronted by their own test site. I don't feel like installing Edge or Chrome to test it right now, though.

Under such casual testing conditions, it's not really so much a blind testing, as quick comparison. And under such conditions, you may be less pressed to seek out the details that make it not-transparent, and may instead be more interested in quickly gauging what is or isn't obviously annoying.

Off-topic, I find 24kbps VBR0 FhG xHE-AAC encoded by EZ CD Audio Converter, to be slightly annoying, but passably listenable, to the point where I can casually listen to an entire album under those settings. 96kbps Opus would be a breeze to listen to compared to that, going by my own casual testing.

Reply #71
Going by the "if it's not annoying enough for me to think it sounds bad under casual listening, I don't care" standard I haven't had any issues with 96 kbps opus.

Also offtopic, but for the type of content predominant on AM radio in the US, basically, human speech, even 64 kbps mono mp3 sounds better to me than the issues inherent in broadcast via analog AM radio