Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I left myself logged on to another PC (Read 7435 times) previous topic - next topic

I left myself logged on to another PC

I'm only guessing that's the problem, because...

I came to HA this morning, only to find (from the "posts since you last visited" page) that apparently I'd been here at 5AM!

I wasn't here at 5AM. However, I have logged in on a couple of PCs elsewhere during the last week. Maybe I forgot to clear the "keep me logged on" box, and also forgot to log out at the end. Maybe the owner of one of those PCs saw HA in the browser history and decided to take a look?

If so, how can I log myself off of HA from that PC, which I now have no access to?

Also, if there is another explanation for what's happened, please let me know. (Obviously stolen password is one, so I'll change it, but that seems less likely).

Cheers,
David.

Reply #1
The SysInternals tool "psshutdown" can shutdown a remote machine, but i don't know something to only log off.

Or you use the remote desktop (mstsc) to re-login and then shut down the machine.

hint: it is always wise to shut down a machine you don't need. Also, it saves power...

Reply #2
Sorry, I realise my title is rather unclear (but can't edit it!).

It's Hydrogen Audio itself that I think I'm still logged in to. I'm asking how to remotely log out of HA, not the PC itself.

I never leave PCs switched on.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
However, I have logged in on a couple of PCs elsewhere during the last week. Maybe I forgot to clear the "keep me logged on" box, and also forgot to log out at the end. Maybe the owner of one of those PCs saw HA in the browser history and decided to take a look?

If you checked that box, then (at least) two cookies were set, "member_id" and "pass_hash". Both seem to expire after 1 year. Unless that somebody deletes all cookies on his computer or you change your password, your account will stay accessible.

If so, how can I log myself off of HA from that PC, which I now have no access to?

If you have no access, then there's no way. Change your password. That should fix it.

Reply #5
Thanks for your help. Advice followed!

Cheers,
David.

P.S. About not switching PCs off... I have a friend who was having trouble with his PC. I rebooted it and solved the problem, but when confronted with the windows log-on screen he screamed "What have you done? I've never seen that before!". In all the years he'd had the PC, he claimed that he'd never actually powered it down, so never needed to log-on. (I assume he thought the first and only log-in was part of set up or something!)

Reply #6
Thanks for your help. Advice followed!

Cheers,
David.

P.S. About not switching PCs off... I have a friend who was having trouble with his PC. I rebooted it and solved the problem, but when confronted with the windows log-on screen he screamed "What have you done? I've never seen that before!". In all the years he'd had the PC, he claimed that he'd never actually powered it down, so never needed to log-on. (I assume he thought the first and only log-in was part of set up or something!)

Hahaha

Reply #7
Is that even possible?  Almost all OSs out there today suffer from concurrency bugs, and they WILL crash after a few months (servers either are redundant or reboot very quckly).

Reply #8
Is that even possible?  Almost all OSs out there today suffer from concurrency bugs, and they WILL crash after a few months (servers either are redundant or reboot very quckly).

Here is a nice report of a 2108 days (almost six years) uptime. Though it was not one of the "out there today" OSs. The system was an RS6000 running AIX 4.1.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34320.0

Reply #9
"In all the years" sounds unbelievable, even more so with windows as OS.
(an uptime-project would be something else)

Reply #10
I believe the truth was he hadn't logged off from Windows XP pro, ever. I expect it hibernated automatically. He did know his password for unlocking this, but had never seen a screen with a box for his username.

I also can't believe the machine never crashed - certainly the applications were more than happy to crash - but he's not a stupid person, quite the opposite - if he'd seen the log-in screen before, he would have remembered!

(Maybe it was a joke on me, but knowing his attitude to PCs - somewhere between distrust and fear - I think it's unlikely he would joke about the symptoms to someone who was trying to fix it for him!)

Cheers,
David.

Reply #11
He probably never updated it either. It seems that nearly every update I run requires a reboot these days.