Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extremely weird spectrogram of a purchased FLAC file (Read 1462 times) previous topic - next topic

Extremely weird spectrogram of a purchased FLAC file

I've purchased a FLAC album from 7digital. Every single track has a spectrogram that looks like the one attached here (created with Spek). I have never seen anything like it.

Does anyone have an idea what might explain that white noise-like band between 17kHz and 22kHz?

Re: Extremely weird spectrogram of a purchased FLAC file

Reply #1
Probably dithering.

Reply #2
Considering the sampling is 16-bit, it's most likely from noise-shaping — via dithering or modulation (e.g., DSD, but not likely in this case) for the desired effect of maximizing depth of the audible frequencies.

Reply #3
I also think it's normal. I join the graph from the same track seen in Audition (also coming from a digital service): the noise is here but seems lighter (probably due to colour scheme).

Reply #4
Here's another vote for dithering, for whatever it's worth.

Reply #5
Looks like Izotope MBIT+ or GoodHertz dither. Their noise-shaping has a flat shelf and adjustable strength.

Reply #6
Thank you all for your responses. There's obviously so much to learn about the topic. Much appreciated.