Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS 5.1 files to FLAC/WAV (Read 21330 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS 5.1 files to FLAC/WAV

Hello. I have some music mixed in 5.1 stored as .dts files. But my device only reads FLAC and WAV files. Is there a way to convert the DTS to one of these formats so they will be recognized by my player and still maintain correct 5.1 sound?

Re: DTS 5.1 files to FLAC/WAV

Reply #1
Try eac3to or foobar2000.

Keep in mind that dts is a lossy format though (often with a insanely high bitrate).
Only dts-hdma is lossless.

Reply #2
Hello. I have some music mixed in 5.1 stored as .dts files. But my device only reads FLAC and WAV files. Is there a way to convert the DTS to one of these formats so they will be recognized by my player and still maintain correct 5.1 sound?

What is your player?

Reply #4
I've never converted DTS, I've only played it on DVDs, but Audacity with the optional FFmpeg import/export library can open almost anything and then you can export it to FLAC or almost any other format (and I'm assuming  multichannel FLAC isn't a problem with Audacity).

SoX can also convert almost anything-to-anything, but it's a command-line program so it's not "easy to use".

Be careful with WAVs if you have long (concert-length or movie-length) files.   There is a file size limit (of either 2GB or 4GB depending on what software you're using) and you can run into problems with long multi-channel or long high-resolution WAV files.    Most other formats (including FLAC) don't have that limitation, and of course, FLAC files are smaller anyway.    Also, "tagging" (embedded artist/album/title metadata) is not well-supported with WAV files.

Reply #5
Add this component to foobar and you will be able to play the original dts files.  VLC player should be able to handle it too.
JXL
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_dts

Better yet, instead of  that component, add the WASAPI component, and using that output mode you will be able to stream the .dts data directly to your AVR via HDMI or S/PDIF, where it can be decoded into multichannel.  If you must have as a WAV or FLAC file, use Audiomuxer to put a WAV wrapper  around the .dts file (convert to S/PDIF WAV) and then, e.g. if you want to tag the file, run it through a FLAC encoder to convert it to a FLAC file.     The data is still .dts, still encoded, and if you stream it to your AVR  with foobar (WASAPI installed and selected as the output mode) it will be decoded 

Reply #6
(Whereas if you use foo_input_dts  you are decoding the data *before* it is output, and you must have the connection bandwidth , i.e. HDMI, not optical/coaxial, to support digital transmission of multichannel WAV audio, or else have 6-channel analog output/input capability in your system )