Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SeqBox - An archive that can survive total loss of file system structures (Read 1374 times) previous topic - next topic

SeqBox - An archive that can survive total loss of file system structures

Was reading a some-months old thread about bitrot, and thought that on the subject of protecting an archived audio library, maybe this tool I developed can be of some interest:

GitHub - SeqBox - A single file container/archive that can be reconstructed even after total loss of file system structures

Homepage - SeqBox

Basically a file is encoded in such a way that, even if the FS become completely toasted, partition info are lost, and so on, it's still possible to reconstruct the SBX container(s) just by looking at the raw sectors. It's also possible to obtain redundancy simply making more than one copy of a SBX files (in the same or different HD/support), so that even if some blocks become damaged/unreadable in every copy, it's possible to reassemble the original file collecting all the good blocks from every source available.

The tools are written in Python 3, so they are multiplatform.
I decided to keep it simple and not duplicate functionality offered by other tools, so each SBX file can contain only 1 file and there are no error correcting informations (at least at the moment) - CRC & hash to check for integrity are instead obviously present. But it's possible to create an SBX file out of a RAR archive with recovery records, for example.

It would probably be nice if there was a Foobar (or other player) plugin to access a music file inside a SBX container directly (like it's possible for zip files). The format is documented, simple and seekable, so I think it should be doable by someone already experienced with plugin dev. If someone is interested in trying, I'm of course available for any info that may be needed.