Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation (Read 97812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #225

To quote Dr. Reiss from the AES press release:
"“Audio purists and industry should welcome these findings,” said Reiss. “Our study finds high-resolution audio has a small but important advantage in its quality of reproduction over standard audio content. Trained listeners could distinguish between the two formats around sixty percent of the time.”

52.3% would qualify as statistically significant but of very limited practical relevance; 60% is usually considered to be of practical relevance.

If one understands how experiments and statistics work, one would not say that a test with 60% correct responses is the same as  "distinguish(-ing) between the two formats around sixty percent of the time.”

The first thing to remember is that in an experiment with 50% correct responses and 2 alternatives indicates 100% random guessing.

In contrast, an experiment with 100% correct responses indicates 0% random guessing.

The thing to take away from examination of these two facts is that there is a non-linear sliding scale of actual percentage of correct identifications ranging from 0% to 100% while distinguishing between the two alternatives from 50%  to 100% of the time. 

Listeners who get correct responses only 60% of the time are mostly guessing randomly. Only 1 in 6 responses is anything but random guessing. They are actually giving correct responses only 16% of the time. The rest of the time they are guessing randomly.

If you try to apply these results to the real world, the results might be very depressing. For example If you buy 6 high resolution recordings, based on these statistics, only one of the recordings will sound different or they will all sound different only 1/6 of the time or something like that. I don't foresee anybody selling a lot of recordings based on performance like that.

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #226
<snip>
But this is really just the type of hair-splitting argument which you are so fond of.

Seems that i´m not alone .....  :)

No, even when reading the entire press release the message remains the same: This is the study the industry and audiophiles was waiting for, and it confirms their position. The reception of the press release I have seen across the internet picks up this message almost invariably. That's not their fault or distortion, that's exactly the gist of Reiss' message. It is not the result of his study, however.

Especially when reading the entire press release, the message is quite different. Beside the central point that the two formats can be differentiated, further research is recommended (and needed).

If, as is often the case, one faces the choice whether to assume malice or incompetence as the reason for an act, the saying goes that one should choose incompetence. I don't think, however, that this is always the interpretation that represents the "better will". ;)

Well, wrt to Meyer&Moran you obviously did not only choose between "incompetence and malice"  but followed another route. It would be just fair to adress the same "good will" to Reiss´s work.

I don't think that this distinction matters much in the context we're in here.

It shows that they not only wanted to address some (unspecified) exaggerated audiophile claims, but any asserted benefit in reproduction as well.

The discs used seem to have been examples of discs which audiophiles claimed to be audibly better than CD. The claims haven't been picked out of thin air by M&M.

And do I really have to rebuke your blatant exaggeration?
I haven´t found any information if any of those "audiophiles claiming outrageous things" were participating in the tests.
Meyer&Moran confirmed the audiophile claims wrt to the sound quality of the "hi res material" (obviously they and most of the supporters of their experiment had no problems with this categorical statement although no controlled test was used) and the methodogical flaws prevent further conclusions.

It wasn´t really a "blatant exaggeration" (pointed emphasis maybe) thats why i listed the factors that led to this wording.

The problem appears at the very moment when significance is found.

Which in other words means that the validity of this research approach depends
on the result? Worth to reconsider ....

Then, you would wish to know which particular aspect is responsible for the perceived difference. It is also of particular relevance in a meta analysis, because of their inherent sensitivity to "comparing apples with oranges".

One should normally wish to know also in the case of a retained null hypothesis, especially if an experiments (like Meyer&Moran apparently did) compares "apples with oranges" too and lacks the advance of an extended data pool.

Perhaps it surprises you (which I'm not sure of, your surprise may be a purely rethorical device), but I don't find reason for surprise here.

Please try to avoid using Schopenhauer´s list...
My suprise was based on the fact as stated and your argument causes additional amazement.

It is actually quite simple: If a study that tests all aspects (wordlength, samplerate) at once doesn't find any significance, none of the individual aspects have been shown to have significance.

This conclusion is not warranted; it could be if all effects were balanced and if the sample size were sufficient, but both points were most probably not given.

It is still very unlikely that - had there really been clearly audible differences between original and CD downsampled version - they would have slipped through.

Which way did you calculate "unlikely" based on the information available?

Besides, how do you check for "hi res ness" if people (claimants) have varying notions of what this means? Which definition should you pick? How would you test? M&M did the sensible thing: They avoided the question by taking material that was being presented to them as being hi res. The fact that some of it wasn't, according to some people's definition, shouldn't have prevented finding audibility at least with some of the material.

As nobody noted the specific material used in the trials, how should one know? The number of trials per listeners was obviously to small, so missing a perceivable difference was quite likely.

The accusation is in the sense unfair, that M&M are being made responsible for something they are not responsible for, namely the vague definition of what constitutes high res.

The vague definition is not their fault, letting the vagueness influence the results.... is.....

If the equipment "fault" you criticise should be the small linearity problem of one player that was discernible with one disk, I remind you to consider how and how much that could have compromised the result. I would not even go as far as calling this a fault, owing to its small scale.

Please keep in mind that your consideration is based on pure anecdotical description. That´s why i wrote "no thorough measurment" .
I don´t know what other defects they might have not noticed, beside the problem with low level linearity.

Using this as a pretext for dismissing the study is completely out of proportion, IMHO. I much rather have the impression that M&M dutifully rectified the problem once they became aware of it. I trust they would have questioned the results of their own study if they had come to conclude that the fault was of sufficient magnitude to affect the result.

Which M&M did in the case of this player problem, at least as part of the supplementary information published on their website. Had they considered the problem relevant, I believe they would have described it in the paper itself.

To not provide thorough measurements before and in between is the flaw. And associated to this is the problem that nobody did note the number of trials done with this equipment.
We should not be entitled to trust in their considerations to mention something, All must be mentioned. The methodological requirements were based on the insight that experimenter bias could be a possible confounder. At least Brad Meyer was strongly biased against any perceivable difference between CD and "hi res" .

I could feign surprise here that you don't object to Reiss' usage of a number of papers without even mentioning their flaws, but knowing you, I won't.

Please refrain from using Schopenhauer´s list.
I was talking about quite obvious flaws in case of Meyer/Moran.
If you have anything comparable wrt papers Reiss used in his meta-analysis, please be specific.

Up to now i agree that the paragraph mentioning Krumbholz´s article was misleading/wrong, because it does not support Kunchur´s conclusion.

This description is just as selective as you accuse mine to be. ;)

At least slightly less as i added some points to yours.:)

You typically made this look as if you were saying that some material may not offer such a perceivable difference, in other words you have no guarantee that every hi res file is superior to CD quality.

That is plain wrong, as direct quotes from various posts on this topic could certify.
Please refrain from these eristic .

I mentioned this only because you brought up the topic.

In fact you brought up this topic in your blog.

I don't say that Reiss' paper is tainted by poor reviewing. It is not the reviewers who are responsible for Reiss' faults, and neither are they responsible for the faults in other papers. So why should I have mentioned it in the context of M&M, if the connection is coincidental rather than causal?

First, you haven´t so far presented any flaw in Reiss´s meta-analysis.
Second, you mentioned that the AES (Journal) has problems with the quality of the review process and you did it wrt to Reiss´s article. Maybe you meant it not exclusively; i could assume that the paper from Jackson et al. was also affected.

The problem is that such sloppy reviewing reduces the benefit of having a review in the first place. The designation of a paper as being "peer reviewed" may not mean much anymore.

Of course. But, the critic should provide some real flaws and should not only targeting publications with results the critic does not like .
I don't mix it up, I put it into perspective.

Sorry, but no.
You accused Reiss in a specific point, i showed that you wasn´t right and instead of admitting it, you were rasing another point.

I am more critical of his usage of Kunchur's works as support for the suggestion that humans have a monaural temporal timing resolution of 5 µs. He uses language that keeps him neutral regarding these claims, but his presentation ignores all criticism that has been voiced. I don't think that's OK. Uncritical mentioning of dubious references increases their perceived credibility, without adding any argument or evidence in their favor.

Kunchur got a lot of unfair criticism.
Afair i criticized his articles because the test results might have based on spectral cues (although below the usual limit) and because his conclusion about the need for higher sampling rates were not warranted. 
As Reiss was "neutral" in his language use, (he used "suggested" instead of "showed" ) that makes clear that research is still going on.

Reply #227
Beside the central point that the two formats can be differentiated, further research is recommended (and needed).
Right, the 4x price of Hi-Re$ has always "differentiated" it form "standard" audio. Zero research is needed there.
If you are referring to Reiss's "unknown reasons", then yes you believers/peddlers owe us some more research. It's been 20+ years, where is it?
How is paying 4x price for "unknown reasons" an "advantage" as Reiss speciously claims? What advantage???

That´s why i wrote "no thorough measurment" . I don´t know what other defects they might have not noticed
To not provide thorough measurements before and in between is the flaw.
Agreed, so let's see the measurements for every test Reiss picked, particularly the BS test, using direct radiator beryllium dome tweeters driven to very high levels. Jakob2, all associated measurements now please.

Up to now i agree that the paragraph mentioning Krumbholz´s article was misleading/wrong, because it does not support Kunchur´s conclusion.
Like you support his conclusions . Well that puts you at odds with Krumbholz too.

No they (M&M) didn´t issue a press release; instead they used sort of guerilla marketing in forums promoting their publication.

Please refrain from using Schopenhauer´s list.

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #228
Seems that i´m not alone .....  :)
It seems you are getting Schopenhauer-obsessed. The more you accuse me, the more you are guilty yourself. ;)

Especially when reading the entire press release, the message is quite different. Beside the central point that the two formats can be differentiated, further research is recommended (and needed).
You clearly have your own way of reading, which differs from most everyone else. I can't remember anyone referring to the press release having put the request for more research in front as much as you do. I'm afraid, I won't follow your spin here.

I am quite convinced that Reiss knows enough about the marketplace, and the audiophile scene, to guess at the kind of reaction he would get to the press release, and I believe that his choice of prose was a conscious and deliberate attempt at evoking this kind of response. I simply can't bring myself to believe that he conveyed this message inadvertently. He simply presses too many audiophile buttons.

And regarding the request for more research, please give me a break. Firstly, after 20 years of failure to come up with convincing research, this can't remove the great embarrassment of the hires lobby. And secondly, a request for more research is a zero content set phrase that can be added to any research paper. It can be read as: "Please give me another research grant". There's no point in reading anything particular into it.

It would be just fair to adress the same "good will" to Reiss´s work.
I assume that at first, when looking at a matter; it was no different here. However, I reserve the right to make my judgments after having read the material, and I don't see why I shouldn't let you know the result.

From the paper alone, I would still assume Reiss good will, even though there are a number of hints showing his bias. The press release, however, makes it quite clear, and leaves little doubt.

I haven´t found any information if any of those "audiophiles claiming outrageous things" were participating in the tests.
Meyer&Moran confirmed the audiophile claims wrt to the sound quality of the "hi res material" (obviously they and most of the supporters of their experiment had no problems with this categorical statement although no controlled test was used) and the methodogical flaws prevent further conclusions.
I have no problem with their statement, either. They refer to the material as hires because everyone else at that time did. They didn't see it as their job to change the terminology. They wouldn't have escaped this sort of criticism anyway.

It doesn't matter if the audiophiles who claimed audibility were all participating or not. One of those who spurred the motivation for the test was Stuart, and he didn't participate nor would I have expected him to participate. He certainly knows that he can't win anything by participating.

This criticism you aim at M&M is both petty and beside the point. The reason why this test is drawing so much vitriol has nothing to do with its flaws, but with its success: It splinters the audiophile apologists into several different camps according to the reasons they proffer for the failure of the test to confirm their claims. Those who critcise that the material wasn't really hires implicitly accept that most of the material that is being sold as hires actually isn't. In other words they admit that the hires movement is riddled with fraud. And those who accept the material as legitimate hires have to scrape together all sorts of phony reasons why the test was unable to reveal something that should have been obvious. Either way is an embarrassment.

Which in other words means that the validity of this research approach depends
on the result? Worth to reconsider ....
Well, yes, it most certainly does. That's not at all surprising or nefarious.

Take an election for an analogy. If after an election, you find procedural faults, which is quite common, you wouldn't call the election invalid unless the procedural faults had the potential to alter the outcome of the election. The court that is called to assess the complaints routinely tries to work out how much an election result could have been distorted by the faults. If the magnitude of the distortion wouldn't have allowed a changed result, i.e. a different winner or a different number of seats for each party, then the fault is typically considered benign and the election result is upheld.

Coming back to our case, it means that if you have a flaw that may lead to false positives, and the result of the study was that the null hypothesis couldn't be rejected, then the flaw can be regarded as benign and the result is upheld. If on the other hand the result was that the null hypothesis was rejected, such a flaw may have the potential to change the result and can't be ignored. In this sense, the impact of a flaw on the validity of the research does indeed depend on the result.

It is quite obvious, really.

One should normally wish to know also in the case of a retained null hypothesis, especially if an experiments (like Meyer&Moran apparently did) compares "apples with oranges" too and lacks the advance of an extended data pool.
Sorry I can't follow you here. You're saying that you should wish to know which of the factors were responsible for non-audibility? Well, all of them I would have thought.

Well, you know, it isn't all that difficult. If there wasn't an audible difference, and the test concludes that the null hypothesis couldn't be rejected, everything is in agreement and there really isn't much point in all that huffing and puffing.

This conclusion is not warranted; it could be if all effects were balanced and if the sample size were sufficient, but both points were most probably not given.
I don't understand. Are you saying that each factor alone could have been significant but not both together? Sorry, but this hair-splitting sophistry would best be replaced by a "proper" listening test that avoids the alleged flaws.

As nobody noted the specific material used in the trials, how should one know? The number of trials per listeners was obviously to small, so missing a perceivable difference was quite likely.
How did you calculate "quite likely"? ;)

The vague definition is not their fault, letting the vagueness influence the results.... is.....
I don't believe the supposition that it did influence the result. Some people seem to take that as a given, but as usual without giving any evidence. Again: The right way of settling this is with an improved test. I know which way I would bet.

Please keep in mind that your consideration is based on pure anecdotical description. That´s why i wrote "no thorough measurment" .
I don´t know what other defects they might have not noticed, beside the problem with low level linearity.
I have never ever seen a research paper that presented all such measurements and other information. You are trying to put the bar so high that nobody reaches it anymore. Had this been the criteria for Reiss for including or rejecting a paper the set of papers would have been empty.

Your intellectual dishonesty is quite apparent here.

If you have anything comparable wrt papers Reiss used in his meta-analysis, please be specific.
The choice of papers represents a much more varied set of methodological choices that the variations in M&M. That is more than obvious. If this is a flaw with M&M, it is a disaster with Reiss. Isn't that sufficient already?

Ah, good! I'm quite surprised you admit this, giving your past record. Now, if I only could get you to admit that Kunchur's conclusion isn't even supported by his own research.

First, you haven´t so far presented any flaw in Reiss´s meta-analysis.
My main criticism was with the discrepancy between the paper and the press release, this is true. I did and do have some criticisms of the paper itself, too, which you may not have noticed. I have some more which I haven't yet posted. Nevertheless, I am close to Archimago in my view of the paper, who agrees with the conclusion, provided it is read in the right way.

I may phrase it in a more pointed way than Archimago, though, when I state that the result should be regarded as another mosaic stone in the overall picture that shows convincingly that there's no point to HRA, no need and no benefit.

Second, you mentioned that the AES (Journal) has problems with the quality of the review process and you did it wrt to Reiss´s article. Maybe you meant it not exclusively; i could assume that the paper from Jackson et al. was also affected.
Jackson et.al. isn't a journal paper, it is a convention paper that has only been peer reviewed as a precis. I consider this to be quite a significant difference. Unfortunately, the difference tends to get missed by the public. The effect is even more damage to the concept of peer review. IMHO Jackson et.al. serves as a good example for the vulnerability of this system to abuse.

So, yes, Jackson somehow was affected, too, keeping sight of the differences. That's why I have the impression that the AES review process has developed a problem, which I wouldn't have diagnosed from a single event.

Kunchur got a lot of unfair criticism.
Undoubtedly. Like everybody else. That doesn't change the fact that there was a lot of factual and justified criticism. And, I also have to say that the way Kunchur dealt with it (or rather, didn't) did nothing to improve his standing.

Afair i criticized his articles because the test results might have based on spectral cues (although below the usual limit) and because his conclusion about the need for higher sampling rates were not warranted. 
I don't know whether or when you criticised it. I remember JJ raising this point very early on. I even hold that Kunchur's second experiment shows the opposite of what he concludes, so he seems to have disproven his point without realizing it.

As Reiss was "neutral" in his language use, (he used "suggested" instead of "showed" ) that makes clear that research is still going on.
The jury is out whether this is neutral language. This sort of language often gets used to suggest a biased view while avoiding to take side openly. It depends on the context if it really is neutral in spirit as much as in prose.

Reply #229
I've done many experiments related to multidimensional perception in controlled listening experiments, and if the difference is often easy to accurately identify.  Based on your former comments, I don't think you have any hands-on experience in this area, nor can you cite any relevant authoritative publications to support your claims.
Those of us who do such tests find an interesting thing: there are differences so subtle that we're not sure we can hear them at all in normal sighted listening, but we do a controlled test, and statistically prove that we can hear them.

"Beside "night and day differences" everything else is easily missed or imagined outside a controlled listening experiment, provided we are talking about multidimensional perception" ;)

Army makes a good point. You should try it properly. One instance of having a "night and day" difference melt away, and one of having a "subtle" different statistically proven, is enough to open most people's minds to the interesting nature of human perception.

Not everyone really wants to learn something though.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #230
Beside the central point that the two formats can be differentiated, further research is recommended (and needed).

It turns out that all of the final selection of papers that the author used but one are fully and freely accessible to me due to AES membership.

This is a summary of the means by which the various papers provided audio to their listeners:

Plenge 1980 [59] Spectrally shaped 500 Hz impulses
Muraoka 1981 [35] Open Reel Tape of synthesized music
Oohashi 1991 [43] Unpublished Gamelan music of Bali B&K 7006 Analog recorder
Yoshikawa 1995 [67] Unpublished Popular Music Mitsubishi x 86HS Prodigi Digital recorder
Theiss 1997 [23] Unpublished recording made on Nagra D digital recording (24/96 Pioneer D9601 (16/96)  Material - 24 KHz bandlimited impulses, White Noise, Untitled recording of Brahms Piano Concerto
Nishiguchi 2003 [64, 68] Paper Inaccessible
Hamasaki 2004 [62, 64 Unpublished recordings recording via proprietary band splitting filters
Nishiguchi 2005 [58] Unpublished Recordings  made on  Magneto-Optical recorder
Repp 2006 [71] Unpublished Recordings  Made on computer running MOTU Digital Performer
Meyer 2007 [63]  DVD-A/SACD versus CD Recorder  ADA loop
Woszyck 2007 [69] Unpublished, live digital and analog  sources, student musicians
Pras 2010 [66] Unpublished, live digital and analog  sources, undisclosed mechanical synthesizer
King 2012 [72] Unpublished, live digital sources, Yamaha Disklavier player, undisclosed musical content
KanetadaA 2013 [24] Undisclosed sources, tech tests of ultrasonic content
KanetadaB 2013 [24] Undisclosed sources, tech tests of ultrasonic content
Jackson 2014 [11, 65] Ref 11 used  Downloaded 24/192 files proprietary processing, ref 65 not yet published
Mizumachi 2015 [70] T-TOC DATA COLLECTION VOL.2 (DATA DISC,192 kHz/24bits, 96 kHz/24bits, WAVE files)
Jackson 2016 [65] Not yet published

It turns out that only the Meyer and Moran paper  used SACD and/or DVD-A recordings as sources for their tests.  It is impossible that this study was significantly based on the two formats, since only one of the over a dozen papers the author put into his summary used them.

Reply #231
<snip>

That's a good question. Are you just a believer, or do you have some skin in the Hi-Re$ game?

In fact, neither.... nor.

(Was it again a rhetorical question? Maybe you could use the mark "rq" or "no rq" to make things a bit easier)

Reply #232
I'm down-grading my "layman's view" to complete waste of time just to keep this stuffed being talked about, which supports commercial interests."

Isn´t that just what you want to believe? (for whatever reason)

Speaking of which, not that I am suggesting that this is one of those red-wine-is-good-for-you jobs, but was this work funded? Do people get paid for doing this stuff?

That could quite easy led to a thought-terminating cliché. I don´t know if Reiss´s meta-analysis was specially funded, but universities are encouraged to cooperate with the industry (if not hardpressed) and that is of course a two edged sword.
It may give reason for concerns but should not used to dismiss result that one doesn´t like.

Afair most of the technology (not only) in the audio field was/is invented due to strong financial interest. Did somebody say "CD", "MP3" "two channel stereo" ? :)

Reply #233
<snip>
And yet rather easy for the eager consumer or Stereophile reviewer to detect, eh? 

I don´t know, but it might be...

That is the reason why it is mandatory to incorporate positive controls (for other reasons negative controls as well), and any experimenter should think about listener accomodation and even training.

You're really not getting the point .

I am afraid, but it is precisely one of the important points.
If you are not able to check their (means your eager consuments or Stereophile reviewer) detection abilities within their normal listening routine, you have to consider that any test regime will have an impact on the listeners. It is just a question of internal validity.

Be more pedantic why don't you?  OK then, the experiments that used ostensibly 'hi rez' sources and compared them to standard rate audio.

The ITU-R BS.1116-x emphasizes for good reasons listener training and the use of positive controls. It needs more than using "ostensibly" or real "hi-res material" to ensure a sound experiment.

<snip>It's especially notable that the hi rez cheerleading side haven't provided any such experiments, given that they seized on Type II errors as their savior back in the day and will do so again per Reiss.

They should have done more, but does that help to correct the flaws of Meyer/Moran?

But the again, the most vocal of them were also opposed to blind testing , period, for the longest time.  I'm sure now they'll be OK with it now though, since all (be sure to check me on that) of the work he cites used blind protocols of some type. .

Yeah that might come as a surprise, but it is surely not Reiss´s fault. And I´m sure you have already noticed similar behaviour within the "non believer camp" ......

(But then *again*, IIRC Reiss did mention the 'cognitive load' line with a straight face.....

To be fair- he just reported one concern from one of the references, did some research and reported that no such effect was shown by the data. Just exactly the correct procedure to handle something like that.

-- an other effect that seems to operate only when doing comparison under experimental conditions, rather than when carefully auditioning a new SACD or DVDA or HDtracks download for review --  so you never know. )

Please, reread the ITU-R BS.1116-x again to see what they had to say about accomodation and training. And that is just a short summary (as the authors frankly wrote in the recommendation) and experimenters are encouraged to ask experts and use the plethora of literature about DOE, sensory testing and coginitive psychology as well.

Who cares?

Everybody interested in good scientific practice should care....

M&M took these people at their word.  And *after* that, these people picked up the goalpost and marched downfield, proclaiming that only pure hi rez would suffice for proof, thanks very much

Does questionable critique really invalidate the justified critique?

Every experimenter is responisble for the implementation of the scientific requirements. It simply does´t help to argue that others did something wrong....

Reply #234
That's a good question. Are you just a believer, or do you have some skin in the Hi-Re$ game?

In fact, neither.... nor. Was it again a rhetorical question?
The believer part yes, undoubtedly. So no financial interests (or admission of) in Hi-Re$ as well?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #235
If you are not able to check their (means your eager consuments or Stereophile reviewer) detection abilities within their normal listening routine, you have to consider that any test regime will have an impact on the listeners.
Yes, Delusion Blocked Testing will certainly impact the believer. Tremendously and often very humorously. Who is questioning this?

The ITU-R BS.1116-x emphasizes for good reasons listener training and the use of positive controls.
All these studies are being triggered by believer "observations" about Hi-Re$. What any controls are being used?
Jakob2, I've asked multiple times, what positive control(s) must be used? Be specific (or do the dodge/evade/dance routine...which provides the answer).

And I´m sure you have already noticed similar behaviour within the "non believer camp" ......
No, I haven't seen rational folks saying blind tests are absolutely worthless...except when they appear to support a belief. No similarity whatsoever.

Please, reread the ITU-R BS.1116-x again to see what they had to say about accomodation and training.
Please reread Reiss's conclusions about "unknown reasons", then tell us exactly what ITU-R BS.1116 positive controls/training is to be used.

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #236
Jakob2, I've asked multiple times, what positive control(s) must be used? Be specific (or do the dodge/evade/dance routine...which provides the answer).
I believe he's acting deliberately thick here. He would never ever think of coming up with a test design of his own and put it into practice. He wouldn't be able to reach the bar he's putting up for others, and he would expose himself to the kind of criticism he directs at others.

Reply #237
I believe he's acting deliberately thick here.
It's no act. He's a believer, in denial.

He would never ever think of coming up with a test design of his own and put it into practice. He wouldn't be able to reach the bar he's putting up for others, and he would expose himself to the kind of criticism he directs at others.
He's regurgitating the same old believer BS arguments, including about positive controls. Lack of critical thinking skills is always their downfall. Now the cards have been called. What "positive controls", when even Reiss admits the "something" detected is for "unknown reasons". Love to know how one trains for that.

cheers

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #238

(But then *again*, IIRC Reiss did mention the 'cognitive load' line with a straight face.....

To be fair- he just reported one concern from one of the references, did some research and reported that no such effect was shown by the data. Just exactly the correct procedure to handle something like that.

Classic case of reading what one want to read, not what was written:

"There is considerable debate regarding preferred methodologies
for high resolution audio perceptual evaluation. Authors
have noted that ABX tests have a high cognitive load
[11], which might lead to false negatives (Type II errors). An
alternative, 1IFC Same-different tasks, was used in many
tests. In these situations, subjects are presented with a pair
of stimuli on each trial, with half the trials containing a pair
that is the same and the other half with a pair that is different.
Subjects must decide whether the pair represents the same
or different stimuli. This test is known to be “particularly
prone to the effects of bias [79].” A test subject may have a
tendency towards one answer, and this tendency may even
be prevalent among subjects. In particular, a subtle difference
may be perceived but still identified as ‘same,” biasing
this approach towards false negatives as well.

We performed subgroup tests to evaluate whether there
are significant differences between those studies where subjects
performed a 1 interval forced choice “same/different”
test, and those where subjects had to choose among two alternatives
(ABX, AXY, or XY “preference” or “quality”).

For same/different tests, heterogeneity test gave I2 = 67%
and p = 0.003, whereas I2 = 43% and p = 0.08 for ABX
and variants, thus suggesting that both subgroups contain
diverse sets of studies (note that this test has low power,
and so more importance is given to the I2 value than the p
value, and typically, α is set to 0.1 [77]).

A slightly higher overall effect was found for ABX, 0.05
compared to 0.02, but with confidence intervals overlapping
those of the 1IFC “same/different” subgroup. If methodology
has an effect, it is likely overshadowed by other differences
between studies.
"

His data showed "...a slightly higher overall effect was found for ABX".

He then admitted what was already known to many readers by other means, which is that there were other far more important differences among the studies. That is a clear fault of his meta study which lumps together studies that are so different that their results should never ever be lumped together as he did.

He failed to report the well-known confusion related to which of the extant two very different ABX tests were used (ABX1950 versus ABX1982) , and that comparing ABX tests to 1IFC tests makes no sense because ABX1982 tests can be and often are  performed as 1IFC tests.

Reply #239
He failed to report the well-known confusion related to which of the extant two very different ABX tests were used (ABX1950 versus ABX1982) , and that comparing ABX tests to 1IFC tests makes no sense because ABX1982 tests can be and often are  performed as 1IFC tests.
This is one of the strong hints of Reiss' own bias IMHO. The way he "reports" is quite selective and certainly not neutral, insofar I can't agree with Jakob1863 that he used the "correct procedure":

Given that this matter was discussed on the AES web page for the paper, it is quite inexplicable how he could have missed this, particularly since he gives the web link in his paper. He also seems to have missed that his reference was speculation with no evidence given. His text gives it a factuality that simply isn't there:
Quote from: Reiss
Authors have noted that ABX tests have a high cognitive load [11], which might lead to false negatives (Type II errors).
This sentence indicates to someone who doesn't bother to read the referenced paper, and the ensuing discussion on the web page, that the high cognitive load of an ABX test can be regarded as a fact, and that the false negatives are a possibility.

In reality, when reading the referenced paper and its discussion, it looks rather like the cognitive load argument refers to a very old form of ABX that is irrelevant for either Reiss' study or the referenced paper, and that it is a speculation for which no evidence is given. Moreover, one finds that the referenced paper [11] uses this speculation to cast doubt on the M&M study, where the old form of ABX clearly wasn't used.

This doesn't constitute a responsible way of using a reference. It rather continues the unfair way in which Jackson et.al. have criticised M&M.

Reply #240
I'm down-grading my "layman's view" to complete waste of time just to keep this stuffed being talked about, which supports commercial interests."

Isn´t that just what you want to believe? (for whatever reason)
Yes... But nothing said here inclines to to think any other way

Speaking of which, not that I am suggesting that this is one of those red-wine-is-good-for-you jobs, but was this work funded? Do people get paid for doing this stuff?

That could quite easy led to a thought-terminating cliché. I don´t know if Reiss´s meta-analysis was specially funded, but universities are encouraged to cooperate with the industry (if not hardpressed) and that is of course a two edged sword.
It may give reason for concerns but should not used to dismiss result that one doesn´t like.

Afair most of the technology (not only) in the audio field was/is invented due to strong financial interest. Did somebody say "CD", "MP3" "two channel stereo" ? :)

Ahhh... real products; real developments; real research. Not to be confused with a rehashed repeat job glorified by the name "meta-analysis."

Good grief, what next? High Resolution analysis?
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #241
<snip>
If one understands how experiments and statistics work, one would not say that a test with 60% correct responses is the same as  "distinguish(-ing) between the two formats around sixty percent of the time.”

The first thing to remember is that in an experiment with 50% correct responses and 2 alternatives indicates 100% random guessing.

In contrast, an experiment with 100% correct responses indicates 0% random guessing.

"distinguishing" was indeed an unfortunate (or even misleading) wording.
But to add a contrast, as we are quite often looking for two sided alternative hypothesis, an experiment with 0% correct responses indicates 0% random guessing too.

The thing to take away from examination of these two facts is that there is a non-linear sliding scale of actual percentage of correct identifications ranging from 0% to 100% while distinguishing between the two alternatives from 50%  to 100% of the time.

The added remark leads to an extension of this model.

Listeners who get correct responses only 60% of the time are mostly guessing randomly. Only 1 in 6 responses is anything but random guessing. They are actually giving correct responses only 16% of the time. The rest of the time they are guessing randomly.

What Reiss reported was an estimate for the underlying population parameter with medium (afair) variance,which means that various individuals form this population might do much better and worse.

If you try to apply these results to the real world, the results might be very depressing. For example If you buy 6 high resolution recordings, based on these statistics, only one of the recordings will sound different or they will all sound different only 1/6 of the time or something like that. I don't foresee anybody selling a lot of recordings based on performance like that.

That is imo unfortunate wording too. :)

But as said before (i think),i don´t understand the "hysteric" critique (related to mass market influences).
Given all the expericences with marketing and double blind studies, despite may be a small number of people, consumers will not buy more "hi res" material due to the results of a meta-analysis.

Reply #242
<snip>

an experiment with 0% correct responses indicates 0% random guessing too.

Straw man argument, since any 2AFC experiment with 0% correct responses isn't an experiment at all, it is a botched mess. Time to diagnose and correct the experiment.  Thinking that the results of botched messes must  have some higher meaning than human error is just wishful thinking. 

Of course since we're often dealing with placebophiles, and wishful thinking  is their spiritual guide,  GIGO.

Reply #243
<snip>
Those of us who do such tests find an interesting thing: there are differences so subtle that we're not sure we can hear them at all in normal sighted listening, but we do a controlled test, and statistically prove that we can hear them.

Which is correct but does in no way contradict what i have expressed. ;)

Army makes a good point. You should try it properly. One instance of having a "night and day" difference melt away, and one of having a "subtle" different statistically proven, is enough to open most people's minds to the interesting nature of human perception.

To be honest, Arny makes his usual remarks.
In fact i´ve told him already (over at diyaudio) that i´ve started with controlled listening test back in the beginning (or mid) 80s after reading some articles from Dan Shanefield. His arguments were convincing and so it went along.
Being the Arny that he is, he commented that i was "late to the party" as his highness began a couple of years earlier. :)
In that point he was absolute right although is it relevant? :)

Not everyone really wants to learn something though.

That is true . ;)

P.S. pelmazo and ajinfla know about my information wrt controlled listening too....

Reply #244
<snip>
Straw man argument, since any 2AFC experiment with 0% correct responses isn't an experiment at all, it is a botched mess.

Which constitutes a straw man argument itself, just because 2AFC in "preference mode" were two sided tests and as their is no correct or wrong answer (per definition), the nullhypothesis remain at p = 0.5, but H1 is p <> 0.5 .

Time to diagnose and correct the experiment. 

Would be the best, but analysises of listening tests show that a lot is missing.

Thinking that the results of botched messes must  have some higher meaning than human error is just wishful thinking. 
Of course since we're often dealing with placebophiles, and wishful thinking  is their spiritual guide,  GIGO.

Or it is quite often a group of "sciencefools" that praise seriously flawed experiments like Meyer/Moran (for example).

Just two sides of the same coin.

Reply #245
In fact, neither.... nor. Was it again a rhetorical question?
The believer part yes, undoubtedly. So no financial interests (or admission of) in Hi-Re$ as well?
[/quote]

So having missed the rhetorical nature, i´ve answered it; are you able to change your belief?

And still no to any financial interest (or admission of) in "hi res" . :)

Reply #246
<snip>
Yes, Delusion Blocked Testing will certainly impact the believer. Tremendously and often very humorously. Who is questioning this?

Which is funny, but you purposefully missed the point. Using eristics will not help in finding the truth, although it helps a lot in self- immunization

First of all i like to cite JJ on this "do you have to use controls? Only, if you want to know if your test is good" . And jj only reiterates something that is part of the scientific requirements.
And it is solely the responsibility of any experimenter to choose and use appropriate controls. It will not help to shout "but Jakob1863 did not...."

A difference which is known to be audible constitutes a positive control. The appropriateness of a control depends on the hypothesis under research.

Reply #247
<snip>

Which is correct but does in no way contradict what i have expressed. ;)

If you say so...

Quote from: 2Bdecided

Quote from: Jakob1863
To be honest, Arny makes his usual remarks.

My usual remarks relate to the science of listening tests, which has been augmented in some areas especially related to quantifying degree of impairment, but remains much the same when i comes to "can hear"/"can't hear" type testing.  Since most people are interested in the latter, of course the comments basically remain pretty much the same.  There have been important changes that have been reflected in my comments, such as listening tests by means of file comparison (e.g. FOOBAR), but apparently that is too sophisticated for some to comprehend and value.

In fact i´ve told him already (over at diyaudio) that i´ve started with controlled listening test back in the beginning (or mid) 80s after reading some articles from Dan Shanefield. His arguments were convincing and so it went along.

Being the Arny that he is, he commented that i was "late to the party" as his highness began a couple of years earlier. :)

It's interesting to see the truth bent to fit into a personal agenda.  Fact is that the SMWTMS group was routinely doing DBTs in 1977 which is almost a decade earlier than the "mid 80s".

That's also 3 years or more earlier than Dan Shanefield's "Ego Cruncher..." article about frequency response matched DBTs in Mar 1980 High Fidelity. An interesting factoid - Dan Shanefield wrote a similar article that was published in Stereo Review magazine around the same time, under a pseudonym.  These were both foreshadowed by Dan's BAS Speakers DBT-related  articles in 1974 and 1976.  Shanefield helped us develop the commercial ABX Comparator. His earlier comments were some of the stimulus and guidance for our work.

Jakob1863  reveals that he's got a personal axe to grind, facts be damned.

Reply #248
<snip>
My usual remarks relate to the science of listening tests,.......

Please reread 2bedecided´s post and his citation again, i hope you then get a better idea what i was referring to...

It's interesting to see the truth bent to fit into a personal agenda.  Fact is that the SMWTMS group was routinely doing DBTs in 1977 which is almost a decade earlier than the "mid 80s".

Which facts were bent? Please be specific.
Facts i´ve written about were:
- i told you over at diyaudio that i/we started with controlled listening tests back in ~80 - ~85 after reading some articles of Dan Shanefield

- you told me that i was late to the party as Shanefield wrote articles already earlier and you did your first ABX in 1977

Reply #249
And still no to any financial interest (or admission of) in "hi res" . :)
Well that leaves you as a denialist, of both believer and peddler variety.

Using eristics will not help in finding the truth, although it helps a lot in self- immunization
The "truth" as you believe, as a believer. Fact is the Hi-Re$ scam was long ago exposed by M&M, which is the source of your angst.
They upended your belief and certainly didn't help in the peddling of the scam either. The garbage like Kunchur and BS filters that you believe in may help you self immunize, but scientifically, they are still garbage.

A difference which is known to be audible constitutes a positive control.
Right, so for detection of Hi-Re$, which Reiss says is "important", what would that be. He had no clue, said unambiguously, "unknown reasons". You don't know either, equally clueless. But par for the believer course. Or peddler.
Now put on your dance shoes Fred Astair and evade the question once more.
We enjoy it. ;)
Loudspeaker manufacturer