Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar MTP Support (Read 27292 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar MTP Support

Hello,
I am new to Foobar and I am looking for a plugin that will allow me to sync my MTP mp3 player (Sansa E280) Using Foobar.
          Thanks,
                -SpeekEazy-

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #1
I second this request.

At the moment i'm saving foobar's playlist as *.m3u and then open them in Windows Media Player 11 (which I don't like) and sync with my device. (it saves the playlist as *.pla) this is quite stupid, and I'd really like to have something like the foo_dop.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #2
I second this request.

At the moment i'm saving foobar's playlist as *.m3u and then open them in Windows Media Player 11 (which I don't like) and sync with my device. (it saves the playlist as *.pla) this is quite stupid, and I'd really like to have something like the foo_dop.

Are you sure WMP11 saves your m3u's as pla's?  I've imported m3u playlists into my WMP11, edited them, and then imported the m3u's back into foobar, and they've retained WMP11's changes.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #3
I would like this feature too.

[]'s

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #4

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #5
First Apple has to implement some stupid, proprietary, non-file-system-based kluge for adding media, and now Microsoft and their lackeys have to copy it. What a retarded idea.

Who ever is responsible for this should be shot with a ball of their own snot. Repeatedly.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #6
First Apple has to implement some stupid, proprietary, non-file-system-based kluge for adding media, and now Microsoft and their lackeys have to copy it. What a retarded idea.

Who ever is responsible for this should be shot with a ball of their own snot. Repeatedly.

Actually, Creative had a proprietary means of importing songs before they switched to Microsoft's MTP, likely before the iPod came along as well.  But I don't mind switching to WMP11 for my syncs.. as I already said, playlist editing between the 2 players is flawless for me, as is tag preservation after using Mp3tag 2.38 and setting all the MP3s to read-only.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #7
Useless solution: complain to the manufacturer of your player.

Efficient solution: get a proper portable music player which is recognized as mass storage device and boycott players which give a shit about your freedom.

Stupid solution: ask other unrelated parties, like fb2k devs, to SUPPORT those morons, wasting dev-resources.

You buy a player with vendor-lockin = you've got to live with vendor-lockin.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #8
Install Rockbox Firmware.
http://www.rockbox.org/

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #9
Useless solution: complain to the manufacturer of your player.

Efficient solution: get a proper portable music player which is recognized as mass storage device and boycott players which give a shit about your freedom.

Stupid solution: ask other unrelated parties, like fb2k devs, to SUPPORT those morons, wasting dev-resources.

You buy a player with vendor-lockin = you've got to live with vendor-lockin.

Random off-topic grammar question: Locally, "giving a shit" means caring. "not giving a shit" means not caring. Is it different in other places?

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #10

In fact my Sansa is being recognized as mass storage device,so,i just use "send to device" component
to copy my whole playlists onto it.What's the reason of having some synchronizing utility,when you can just
send all the tracks you like with a push of a button?If i didn't understand the request correctly,i'm sorry.

EDIT:I'm using Sansa E280
Favourite artist:CD-R
Favourite album:700MB

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #11

In fact my Sansa is being recognized as mass storage device,so,i just use "send to device" component
to copy my whole playlists onto it.What's the reason of having some synchronizing utility,when you can just
send all the tracks you like with a push of a button?If i didn't understand the request correctly,i'm sorry.

I mean if you use send to device.Does it overwrite a song if it is already on the player ? or does it know that it is already on the device and just skip it. Right now in wmp 11 i just drag my playlists over and hit sync. If its on the player it skips the song if it isnt it puts it on there. If it does this then i have no problem to switch to msc mode. I was just thinking How hard would it be to create a MTP plugin. Im not familiar with foobar and creating foobar plugins nor am i familiar with the MTP protocol Programming wise. From reading this Topic I am glad i am not the only one who wants this Feature. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/style_...icons/icon1.gif
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/style_...icons/icon1.gif

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #12
The request is not that stupid, and it would be nice if it was simple enough to customize a f2k plug-in for each portable device that shows up as a storage device (like different folder structures per player.)

The advantage of having this capability in Foobar2000 is pretty obvious. Who doesn't want to transfer music through the same interface we use to listen and manage music?

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #13

If your Sansa E280 is recognized like a flash drive, then it's not using the MTP protocol.  MTP devices don't have drive letters and aren't treated like normal drives.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #14

If your Sansa E280 is recognized like a flash drive, then it's not using the MTP protocol.  MTP devices don't have drive letters and aren't treated like normal drives.

The Sansa E280 can switch between MSC and MTP.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #15

AFAIK MTP is an open protocol. (Not open in the sense of a community developed standard, but open in the sense it is documented and doesn't have to be reverse engineered)

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms867188.aspx

Also I read somewhere that devices have to support MSC (Mass Storage) and MTP to get Microsofts "Play for Sure" label, whereas "Play for Sure II" will drop MSC.

My D2 actually supports both, but Cowon has dropped m3u playlist support in all new players. They were one of the vendors that always supported MSC. But given the fact that playlists now can only be created in MTP mode, I bet they will drop MSC entirely in future players.

You can guess how many will do the same. Actually for the average user there might be good marketing arguments for MTP (like the "synchronization" thing, etc.) - And the "average user" is the one, who decides what will be selling and making profits.

So you can hope for market pressure to resolve the issue, but being prepared might not be so wrong after all ...

...just my ( <- using foo_sendtodevice ) 2 cents

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #16
The main problem in this comunities is piece-of-junk posts carried with flame. Almost every MTP player can be plugged as MSC device, but using MTP will be a plus, a extra feature. Not something to blame, as some users do here.

Aff...

[]'s

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #17
The main problem in this comunities is piece-of-junk posts carried with flame. Almost every MTP player can be plugged as MSC device, but using MTP will be a plus, a extra feature. Not something to blame, as some users do here.

Aff...

[]'s

I'm sorry, but this is just completely flawed and incorrect.  MTP is hardly "a extra feature" for MTP music players.  The Creative Zen Vision:M, for example, handles its music, video, and photo libraries exclusively through the MTP protocol and Windows Media Player, which means you never get a drive letter to do anything.  Sure, it can be a MSC, but I'll be damned if you find a way to use any file on that MSC partition without plugging the Zen back into a computer.  I might also add that correct spelling and grammar could make your post actually comprehensible outside the glaring flaw in your post.

While I find dealing with WMP11 just fine and am not requesting a MTP component for foobar like others so adamantly are, the counter-arguments against such a component are beginning to bother me a LOT for all the false information and rather idiotic assumptions circulating around.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #18
MTP is all about the DRM. So, those of us who hate DRM, by extension, are not particularly pleased with MTP.

It appears to me that every feature MTP has is either a direct restriction on your usage, or a workaround that had to be put in as a consequence of such restriction.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #19
My first post, but not a newb in f2k. Not only my prefered player, but the unique one (after testing many others, including MediaMonkey).
I'm currently using Sansa e280. Been forced to use MSC cause f2k only support this "protocol".

We can loose our time in a debate between MSC or MTP or ..., but until someone with the need and the skills to create the .dll, we'll not have a solution.

Just see how there is little to non complaint around Ipod. But a user had the need to plug their Ipod to f2k, and created the foo_pod. If I just had those skills, I'll not be loosing my time in no-direction debates, but to create a foo_mtp.

BTW, using the Sansa in f2k, have forced me also to retag all my music as:
- ID3v2.4 (the tag format selected by f2k, that nearly no MP3 player uses)
- ID3v2 compatible mode (to force all tags to be in ID3v2.3, that most MP3 players can read)
- APEC to have the extra tags I wanted.
Well designed!!!!

Nevertheless, f2k is still my prerefed and unique player.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #20
Pardon my necromancy, but I figured I may as well bump this thread, since it's a feature that I'm sure would be much appreciated by many Foobar users (myself included, naturally ). Portable music players with MSC capability are pretty few and far between these days (even more so than when this thread was last alive, I think), so if anyone with the appropriate skills could put together a .dll for MTP support I'm sure that person would have the gratitude of many.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #21
This would be nice to have. Would make the use of players that support it easier on me.

@MTP haters: I had an old 1GB player that supported MTP. It was stupid simple to use, and every player I tried (except fb2k, not knowing about it at the time) supported it. Amarok, Winamp, WMP, everything. And I could copy a song onto it through MTP on WMP on my laptop, and and copy it back using Winamp on my desktop, also using MTP. So stop assuming that because it's made by Microsoft it has a fascist grip on everything you do.

As for the "lack of drive letter" bit. I'm not sure, not having plugged in my old MTP player in ages, but I think Windows 7 supports opening MTP players similarly to how it opens cameras.

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #22
I second the request!
Creative zen user

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #23
This would be nice to have. Would make the use of players that support it easier on me.

@MTP haters: I had an old 1GB player that supported MTP. It was stupid simple to use, and every player I tried (except fb2k, not knowing about it at the time) supported it. Amarok, Winamp, WMP, everything. And I could copy a song onto it through MTP on WMP on my laptop, and and copy it back using Winamp on my desktop, also using MTP. So stop assuming that because it's made by Microsoft it has a fascist grip on everything you do.

As for the "lack of drive letter" bit. I'm not sure, not having plugged in my old MTP player in ages, but I think Windows 7 supports opening MTP players similarly to how it opens cameras.

You didn't even bother to read. 

MTP is retarded as a standard 
So........IF the player used a more SANE standard and has a well documented SDK, yes, there is a chance.
Unless you like sodomising yourself repeatedly with the POS that is the Windows MTP SDK OR your luv the GPL...and wanna have fun porting libmtp.....

but I think Windows 7 supports opening MTP players similarly to how it opens cameras.

Just because it happens on ONE OS doesnt mean it will occur on ALL. >_>

Foobar MTP Support

Reply #24
MTP Plugin would make Foobar2000 perfect all-in-one music solution:

Arguments in favor of MTP:
1. Conversion Lossless format to lossy during sync
2. Transfer Album Cover to device
3. Sync playlists content with adding playlists to device
(with background conversion of playlists content in incompatible format prior to device connection)
3. Skipping files already on device
4. Syncing tag changes without recopying or reconversion in case of changes in files with incompatible format.
5. 2-way Sync of playback statistic (playcounts, ratings etc.)
6. Syncing files added to device from another computer to local-computer library

Can i have all of this in MSC mode with couple of clicks?

In MTP mode i have all of this in WMP 12 with my Sony player.
In WMP sync starts when i connect device (in case of automatic sync) or
with content Drag & Drop and 1 Click (in case of manual sync).
Unfortunately, WMP only convert to WMA with max settings at 192 CBR and
unfortunately for me i suffer from placebo effect

I was happy Foobar2000 user until i start listening music on portable players.
In MSC mode i don't have simple 1-Click solution to periodically sync local music library changes (including playback statistic) with portable player and vice versa.

It's sad that Foobar2000 can't do what even WMP can do with ease

As for DRM:
Major music sellers (Amazon, iTunes etc) sell DRM-free files.
Modern players (except iPods, i guess, but iPods don't offer MTP)
allows freely move files from and to device in Windows Explorer in MTP mode just like in MSC mode.