Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

WHAT IS YOUR FORMAT OF CHOICE?

MP3
[ 48 ] (21.9%)
OGG VORBIS
[ 43 ] (19.6%)
MUSEPACK / MPC
[ 104 ] (47.5%)
AAC/MP4
[ 24 ] (11%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Topic: What format are you using most? (Read 24590 times) previous topic - next topic

What format are you using most?

Hope nobody minds me posting this poll, I didn't see anything similar elsewhere on the board, but if this has already been posted up -- sorry! Seeing as there is so many choices of audio format I wondered what is being used most.

EDIT:

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']  MP4 means AAC/MP4 - it was my mistake for not putting these on the same line as intended. [/span]

Reply #1
I use [span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']format c:[/span]

I guess there hasn't been one of these polls too recently, anyway.  But $20 says Roberto comes by any minute with a snide remark:  "Not another codec poll?!?!?"   

But seriously...Vorbis (Post 1.0 CVS) floats my boat just fine right now.  My next change will be when I get a much larger HDD in my PC and car, and it will be to FLAC.

Edit:  Interesting...6 votes so far, and none are MP3'ers.  Vorbis: 2, Musepack: 4.

Reply #3
Cool. As I said, I didn't see anything like this poll around at the moment, and I'm still a baby on this board so I didn't get to see the poll last year. Thanks for the link Pri3st.

For what it's worth, I voted for MPC, but like ScorLibran I'll definately go down the lossless route once HD space permits.

Reply #4
AAC 4 me, becuase It's flexible, and It does what I want from a lossy codec. I want all of you try to encode some files with this codec, you'll never regret, cuz It's a high quality and It's becoming very supported... that, for me, is enough. I don't even use lossy codec, I use Flac, but I like to transcode to AAC and share.

It's a pitty I'm the fist who voted for AAC 
XviD

Reply #5
Ogg kicks a$$!

Reply #6
Since few days MPC for HQ    Vorbis for the rest

Reply #7
if i need lossy compression i use vorbis -q6. no windows tuned garf version, no tweaked commandline options. it's pretty cool for nearly every situation and his firm sound is really a tradeoff to listen music on ultra low quality pc speakers and hq headphones.

for cd quality or archiving audio material flac is my choice.

BadHorsie

Reply #8
AAC 4 me, becuase It's flexible, and It does what I want from a lossy codec. I want all of you try to encode some files with this codec, you'll never regret, cuz It's a high quality and It's becoming very supported... that, for me, is enough. I don't even use lossy codec, I use Flac, but I like to transcode to AAC and share.

It's a pitty I'm the fist who voted for AAC 

I agree that from my experience with AAC it IS mighty impressive, but as I'm only a couple of days into this format I couldn't really judge it fully yet. I do intend to to experiment more with it in the future since my friend porcuhead hooked me up with all the goodies... (thanks mate)

So, how about quality settings for AAC - what's the equivalent to something like LAME --ape or MPC --quality 6/7?

Reply #9
@deeswift:  BTW, MP4 is not an audio encoding format, it's a container format.  MP4 can hold AAC encoded audio streams, for instance, but it can hold other types of data as well.  It's like Ogg, in that respect.  (Unless I'm mistaken on this.)

But you have the "big four lossy's" represented, so that's what's important.  Oh except for WMA...but then again, who cares about Microsoft's limited, proprietary format, anyway?

Reply #10
DAMN! My stupid mistake -- it was supposed to be AAC / MP4 on the same line but I don't think I can change it. Hold up...

EDIT: Nope, can't change it. Maybe a moderator can.

Agreed about WMA, there was little point in including this.

Reply #11
DAMN! My stupid mistake -- it was supposed to be AAC / MP4 on the same line but I don't think I can change it. Hold up...

You can't change the poll itself, but edit your first post in the thread and put in large letters [ size = 5 ] at the top something like...

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']In the poll, MP4 means AAC/MP4[/span]

...so people will see it before they vote.

Reply #12
I agree that from my experience with AAC it IS mighty impressive, but as I'm only a couple of days into this format I couldn't really judge it fully yet. I do intend to to experiment more with it in the future since my friend porcuhead hooked me up with all the goodies... (thanks mate)

So, how about quality settings for AAC - what's the equivalent to something like LAME --ape or MPC --quality 6/7?

I really can't tell if there is a profile which can equal MPC or MP3 presets, but you could try Nero's encoder  B) (beacuse It supports batch encoder, which is very useful, and It has profiles) and use "transparent profile", or higher, you'll get very much quality than Quicktime CBR (technically speaking  ) at very good file sizes. I think Nero's encoder is MY best choice, so wouldn't give it a try?
XviD

Reply #13
Interesting.  I wonder... rjamorim's tests have shown AAC to beat Ogg Vorbis time and again.  So why is Vorbis more popular?

My guess is that the best AAC verisions aren't free (legally).
Anyone else have a theory or guess?

Reply #14
Well, maybe:
- scales well to low bitrates
- open-sourceness, portability of the tools

Reply #15
I archive with Monkey's Audio (*.ape) and playback with Ogg Vorbis (*.ogg).

Reply #16
Interesting.  I wonder... rjamorim's tests have shown AAC to beat Ogg Vorbis time and again.  So why is Vorbis more popular?

My guess is that the best AAC verisions aren't free (legally).
Anyone else have a theory or guess?

For me it's about hardware compatibility.  The only non-DRM, gapless, lossy format compatible with all of my platforms is Vorbis.

If AAC would work in my car, I'd pay for an AAC encoder.

Edit:  Oops...AAC is not gapless, huh?  Then scratch that.  The moment they re-write AAC from the beginning and make it natively (portably) gapless, then I'll consider it. 

Reply #17

You can't change the poll itself, but edit your first post in the thread and put in large letters [ size = 5 ] at the top something like...

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']In the poll, MP4 means AAC/MP4[/span]

...so people will see it before they vote.

hehe... done.

Reply #18
Quote from: ScorLibran,Sep 30 2003, 09:57 AM
Quote from: sthayashi,Sep 30 2003, 01:38 PM

Edit:  Oops...AAC is not gapless, huh?  Then scratch that.  The moment they re-write AAC from the beginning and make it natively (portably) gapless, then I'll consider it.   

You're kidding!!? I thought it WAS gapless.

Reply #19

I really can't tell if there is a profile which can equal MPC or MP3 presets, but you could try Nero's encoder  B) (beacuse It supports batch encoder, which is very useful, and It has profiles) and use "transparent profile", or higher, you'll get very much quality than Quicktime CBR (technically speaking  ) at very good file sizes. I think Nero's encoder is MY best choice, so wouldn't give it a try?

I will indeed try NERO, I have v6 on here but if AAC really isn't gapless I'm not even gonna consider it! I NEED gapless. I mean, how could I listen to something like Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album with GAPS!!? It would completely ruin it, as mp3 does.

Reply #21
. I mean, how could I listen to something like Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album with GAPS!!? It would completely ruin it, as mp3 does.

This is a little off topic for the poll, but if you encode a whole album into 1 mp3 file, and then use one of the splitter programs,  will they split on frame boundaries, thus giving you gappless mp3?

Reply #22

You're kidding!!? I thought it WAS gapless. 

Nero AAC, anyway, may not be gapless "everywhere you play it" because it requires specific decoder support for gapless playback.  This thread describes the capabilities of Nero 6.0.0.15 in this regard.  Then again, Vorbis wouldn't be gapless on a player that didn't do pre-buffering (to handle it's somewhat demanding overhead for real-time playback), so there are always exceptions.

As for QT AAC, I'm not so sure.  I was thinking more about HE AAC.

Edit: From this post in the same thread, it looks like QT AAC is not gapless yet.

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']Multiple edits...running in horror from the "slashdot effect"[/span] 

Reply #23
I still generally prefer MP3 because of greater support and better tuned codecs.  With today's hard drives, you can easily rip at 256k or more.

However I am using Vorbis more than I used to.  I'd use vorbis even more if 1) they'd update it / tune it, 2) more support in audio programs (MusicMatch, etc.)

Anyway, I voted Vorbis.

Reply #24
Hi folkz,
as anybody knows here at hydrogen i'm an psytel 2.15 aac man. nothing comes closer to original in lossy format. especially the aac hq presets ultra+ archive. new nero don't have any chance against, though it's mostly based on the psytel code and developed by the same man. also mpc (a lot of great stuff is available) is really good soundin at hq (q7 insane or Q8 braindead.) and worth to store in hq lossy format (if not available in .aac)  i rebuild my huge musiclib the last 5 months and deleted tons of mp3 albums by rippin albums into aac or getting stuff by friends in mpc.  ogg or mp3 don't interest me anymore.
in lossless i think the ape is the most prefered at the time and if i have enough hd space one day i will rebuild my lib once again in ape. but till those days i'm very satisfied with psytel aac or for second mpc.

shine on