Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: IRiver SlimX350 : any review ? (Read 11261 times) previous topic - next topic

IRiver SlimX350 : any review ?

Reply #25
Originally posted by silver_cpu
Lol...kinda wish VQF was still around.  At least AAC uses the VQF technique (or at least I believe it does)

ARGH! No, please.

AAC is very, very different to VQF.

The fact is that both AAC and TwinVQ (VQF technology) are part of the MPEG4 standard. But the similarities end there.

Reply #26
Oops...got that mixed up.  Not sure why I thought that AAC incorporated TwinVQ, guess I was just having a no-brainer day :-P

Reply #27
Originally posted by sam
I have recently purchased a SlimX (European, v1.04 firmware) which I am very pleased with. However the 2 NimH rechargeable batteries are only lasting for about 4 hours before they need recharging. I have also performed a total discharge and charge, but still they are only lasting for about 4 hours. The product information on your web site claims that they will last for about 23 hours - is this the case?
You also need some heave duty batteries to be able to use it for a long time between each battery pair... I recommend "GP NiCd 1800 mAh"... They should be able to keep the playtime fairly long...

Reply #28
If they would put the status window & control buttons on the player (instead of the 'remote control' - remote, HAH!) I might consider the SlimX.  It's really very silly, they make a "super slim" player, then force a bulky remote to carry with it.

At the moment I'm using an AVC Soul (DMP-01) and have no regrets.  But since this player has apparently disappeared off the face of the planet, who knows what I'll get when it wears out...

Reply #29
About a month ago, i sent a mail to iRiver regarding VBR ISO AAC audio support at high bitrates ( meant anything but to say Psytel's Extreme profile, actualy that was my point hehehe). No good news, about a week after i sent it, i got the e-mail read message, but i never really got a reply  .

Some ppl says that no news are good news, but it's completely the opposite IMO. Either two choices...

(optimistic mode on)
They got my mail, didn't get surprised about me asking for a non DRM VBR ISO AAC audio support at high bitrates, a firmware upgrade for it is already in the works and they just don't want to let the world know atm

(optimistic mode off, realistic mode on)
They just plainly ignored it, they are pissed with so much AAC audio support whinning and rather dont reply to mails or try to support it because of expensive licensing fees. May never ever look forward to AAC audio support, but vorbis is still a ???

Well, lets hope my optimistic mode is the true one for AACs sake :flipoff: Anyway if AAC audio is a must, there still is Phillips eXpanium EXP 503 :listen:

Reply #30
Originally posted by Sachankara
You also need some heave duty batteries to be able to use it for a long time between each battery pair... I recommend "GP NiCd 1800 mAh"... They should be able to keep the playtime fairly long...

I think you're referring to NiMH battery technology, not NiCad...

Reply #31
Originally posted by fewtch
If they would put the status window & control buttons on the player (instead of the 'remote control' - remote, HAH!) I might consider the SlimX.  It's really very silly, they make a "super slim" player, then force a bulky remote to carry with it.

At the moment I'm using an AVC Soul (DMP-01) and have no regrets.  But since this player has apparently disappeared off the face of the planet, who knows what I'll get when it wears out...

I really don't want to start an argument here, fewtch, but your views are rather flawed. Admittedly, you're not the only one who's disappointed with the SlimX not having an on-screen display. I've read a lot of comments from other users who feel the same way... but that's about all I can give you credit for. With regard to on-player "control buttons," if you had bothered to look at the hardware a little more closely before criticizing it, you might have noticed that the SlimX does indeed have control buttons on the side of the unit.

As far as your idea of being "forced" to carry the remote, you have to look at this a little differently. To the average person, would it be more convenient to have the slim MP3 / CD player stored in their pocket and do all the navigation from a handy LCD remote or be "forced" to hold the actual player in front of them every time they want to change a song? I also find it incredibly strange that you would refer to the SlimX remote as being "bulky," when it's really quite the opposite.

The AVC Soul is basically a poorly supported clone of the ever-popular RioVolt MP3 / CD player. It's not cutting edge technology, but it gets the job done, if you can stand the annoying "dancers" on the LCD display. Talk about a great way to consume battery power!  If you ever do decide to fully open your eyes and move past your AVC Soul, the iRiver ChromeX is a suitable replacement, to say the least. Considering the features that you get for the price you pay, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better deal.

Sorry if it sounds like I came across somewhat harshly, but I just can't stand it when a reliable and honest company like iRiver gets ridiculed based on comments that, for the most part, don't hold merit. Just try to be a little more objective next time...

Reply #32
Originally posted by sam
My sister got one and wasn't too impressed with battery life, but other wise its real nice. Here is an email and replay sent to [a href='mailto:cs@iriver.com'][/a]

Dear iRiver

I have recently purchased a SlimX (European, v1.04 firmware) which I am very pleased with. However the 2 NimH rechargeable batteries are only lasting for about 4 hours before they need recharging. I have also performed a total discharge and charge, but still they are only lasting for about 4 hours. The product information on your web site claims that they will last for about 23 hours - is this the case?

I'm averaging about 8 to 10 hours when playing mp3s, the majority being 192 mp3. As mentioned above, the 23 hours is only attainable with the extra AA battery holder they provide. 

Let me just say that I've had this thing for two months, and I completely love it. One of the wisest purchases I've made. I, personally, prefer the remote to have the display rather than the unit. I use it at work and the unit simply dangles from my belt inside the pouch that was provided and the remote is clipped on my belt buckle. I never have to fiddle with the actual unit. In fact it is eternally on "hold" via the little hold switch. And despite me walking around alot and the bag jiggling this way and that, it never skips.

my two cents.

Reply #33
Originally posted by Ragna
Originally posted by sam
My sister got one and wasn't too impressed with battery life, but other wise its real nice. Here is an email and replay sent to [a href='mailto:cs@iriver.com'][/a]

Let me just say that I've had this thing for two months, and I completely love it. One of the wisest purchases I've made. I, personally, prefer the remote to have the display rather than the unit. I use it at work and the unit simply dangles from my belt inside the pouch that was provided and the remote is clipped on my belt buckle. I never have to fiddle with the actual unit. In fact it is eternally on "hold" via the little hold switch. And despite me walking around alot and the bag jiggling this way and that, it never skips.

my two cents.
I too am completely pleased and feel (virtually know) that the SlimX was a wise purchase. I've had mine for a month, and immediately upgraded the firmware to the latest downloadable version, 2.02. The upgrade was the easiest FW upgrade I've ever done. From my research, nothing else out there touches the SlimX for features. The biggest downside is just the documentation. The manual (latest is a downloadable PDF) could use a rewrite with an eye toward more thoroughness and accuracy (It's mostly OK, but in a manual I expect something close to perfection, and there are inaccuracies, e.g. Bookmarks feature) and a serious attempt to use accepted English. However, the product itself is outstanding and that's an understatement. I haven't seen or handled the Sony's but it's impossible for me to imagine that Sony can provide a rich feature set such as iRiver has. I've had many Sony products (still do) and none has ever seriously impressed me as being adequate in terms of features. I've even figured out the SlimX's Bookmarks feature and you can PM me if you need help with it. I'd suggest getting a fanny pack instead of the supplied pouch. I too have the player's hold set to on at all times and am completely satisfied to use the remote and am grateful that the entire feature set is accessible with the remote. I set the remote's hold on except when adjusting in most instances. Battery life is significantly better than my cassette player was getting, so I'm pleased. Coming with rechargable batteries and a well implemented charging system is just one more proof that the designers of this system really got into it.
\"Life is the only thing worth living for.\"