Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets don't show/add M4A files anymore (Read 4279 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets don't show/add M4A files anymore

Foobar2000 1.4.2

I have several M4A from iTunes in my collection. All of a sudden Facets don't show them anymore and don't add them to the playlist anymore. With albums that contain mp3 and m4a files only the mp3 files are shown and added to the playlist.
The album list shows all the files.

I can't say if this happened with update of Foobar to 1.4.2 or my change from windows 7 to windows 10.... it was at the same time...

Re: Facets down't show/add M4A files anymore

Reply #1
I just noticed that not all tracks are affected. Tracks I have bough on iTunes longer ago work, tracks I bought more recently not....

Re: Facets don't show/add M4A files anymore

Reply #2
Ok, it has something to do with the Foobar version. With the 1.3 series it works...

Reply #3
Just tested. I use FACETS and foobar 1.4.2 on a Windows 8.1 machine.  m4a files show up and play just fine.  I'm not near my win10 machine to test there.

Reply #4
Ok with the 1.4.3. beta the files are shown again, but not with the 1.4.2

I can live with that. Thanks for testing

Reply #5
Did you test with the same configuration where you just installed different foobar2000 version over? What kind of patterns do you use in Facets?

Reply #6
I installed the version into the same portable setup each time
Pattern ? I have columns set up
Genre-Artist1-Artist2-Artist3-Date-Album

Artist1,2 and 3 is some kind of grown, I use Artist2 for bandmembers and sideprojects like Jethro Tull/Jetnro Tull and Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull/Martin Barre etc.  Artist 3 distinguishes official albums and bootlegs.

I noticed that behavior because I put for example some MP3 files from Billy Joels My lives box as bonustrack to the Nylon curtain album and in 1.4.2 only the bonustracks showed up under Nylon curtain...

When I draw the missing files from the explorer into foobar2000 they played normal.

But why look after it as it seems to be solved in 1.4.3

Reply #7
Because what you described shouldn't happen. There are no API changes and as far as I know there are no changes to MP4 handling between 1.4.2 and the newer beta. Change log certainly doesn't mention anything but unrelated bug fixes. Also I tested Facets on version 1.4.2 with all-M4A library and it had no trouble showing any track. I'd like to find some rational explanation for the issue you saw.

Reply #8
Can I send you two m4a files, one that was show and one that was not ? Both were bought from iTunes at different times.

Reply #9
Sure.

Reply #10
How do I do this ? I don't have time to start messing with webspace etc...

Reply #12
The forum also accepts attachments, but not privately.

Reply #13
Ok after doing a backup to another PC where 1.4.2 still is installed I noticed what caused this:

Each file that disappeared had some sort of iTunes VariousArtist Tag and got files under "V" although neither the artist nor the album artist tag had the value "Various Artists". So 1.4.2 must react differently to the existence of that iTunes tag than the versions 1.4.3 or 1.4.1