Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD samplerate and bitpersample error...may be externaltags?? (Read 1379 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD samplerate and bitpersample error...may be externaltags??

Hi
I've foobar 2.1 prev 2023-09-14 x86
When I select a dsd file the sample rate and bit per sample are stuck with 88 | 24 ...why???
May be something with externaltags? I use exttags only for media classification...
Bye

File name : 1.08 (Feeling over).dsf
Folder name : F:\Archivio\Musica\Classical\Wechseldominante\[2018] Samples
File path : F:\Archivio\Musica\Classical\Wechseldominante\[2018] Samples\1.08 (Feeling over).dsf
Subsong index : 1
File size : 184 MB (193 350 048 bytes)
Last modified : 2019-06-18 00:37:51
Duration : 4:34.013 (24 167 941 samples)
Sample rate : 88200 Hz
Channels : 2
Bits per sample : 24
Bitrate : 5645 kbps
Codec : DSD64
Encoding : lossless
Tag type : External Tag (SQLite)
Added : 2020-03-21 10:14:21

Re: DSD samplerate and bitpersample error...may be externaltags??

Reply #1
I'm not a foobar expert so others can give a better answer but it looks like it's getting converted to PCM.

Do you have a DSD capable DAC?

Reply #2
No, I mostly use Foobar as a music db...but...I never had this problem, and I think it started recently...maybe some driver issue...

Reply #3
@eamatag71

Please review the settings.
Does the DAC support DSD?
Please remove External Tag (SQLite).
Windows Control Panel > Sound > DSD DAC > 24bit 192000 Hz (for example)
It's already installed, right?
 -foo_input_sacd + foo_out_asio+dsd

foo_input_sacd
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/
foo_out_asio+dsd
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_out_asio%2Bdsd/

for example:
Preferences > Playback > Output > Device > ASIO+DSD: DSD DAC ASIO Driver
Preferences > Tools > SACD > Output (per device) > Type: DSD+PCM Samplerate: 384000 or 192000

SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #4
Hi
I don't use foobar prperly with a DAC, but iI use it as a database of my music ad sometimes to stream via UPNP to my moode audio.
I've removed external tags (very useful to memorize some interesting stuff)
foo_input_sacd updated
foo_out_asio update
No changes...even if I removed  the external tags remains readable...strange stuff...
Actually is nota a problem of playback, but a trouble reading file infos and metadata. 
It very weird...

Reply #5
External Tags doesn't falsify decoder reported format properties. It only affects metadata.
foobar2000 caches all metada. Just because you remove a component doesn't change what is in the cache.
If you doubt file information, the first step is to force foobar2000 to reload info for the file. This applies whether foo_external_tags is installed or not.

Reply #6
@eamatag71

Please tell me the name of the DAC.

It is not because of External Tags.
Please show Simple the current settings and status.

Preferences > Playback > Output > Device > ASIO+DSD: DSD DAC ASIO Driver
Preferences > Tools > SACD > Output (per device) > Type: DSD+PCM Samplerate: 384000 or 192000

↑ Please show me the Screen Shot.

Windows Control Panel > Sound > DSD DAC
Please show me the properties of file.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #7
Ok...but I can't copy and paste screenshot...Are there any special shortcuts?
However...I haven't any dac connected to my pc. Only Nvidia High Definition Audio integrated Board

Reply #9
@Case I've reloaded the full library but...no changes...

Reply #10
you cant output DSD if you dont have a DAC that supports it.
PC - Teac UD-505 - Adam Audio A4V - DCA ÆON Open X
Samsung S23 Ultra 512GB - Fiio UTWS5 - TinHifi P1 Max.

Reply #11
Something was wrong with Externaltags component. I started s fresh installation of foobar and rebuild my interface. Everything was alright...no errors....untill I installed Externaltags and used for write a special tag... bye bye samplerate an bitpersample.
The issue is with externaltags!

Reply #12
Here are the screenshots
The Screen Shot location is completely different.
Reply #6 https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,124782.msg1033032.html#msg1033032

The biggest problem is that your DAC doesn't support DSD.
Please tell me the name of the DAC.

Please set up PCM playback..
Preferences > Tools > SACD > Output (per device) > Type: PCM 88200 Hz
> Windows Control Panel > Sound > DSD DAC > 24bit 88200 Hz

foo_out_asio+dsd cannot be used.
ASIO Driver is missing.

Reply #13
Ok
1) I don't have a dac connected with my pc and I don't need one;
2) The troubles with %samplerate% rose only after installation and use of externaltags, even with a fresh installation; Before the use of external tags I've never experienced this trobule...I swear!
3) I've unistalled asio-wasapi-etc and left only sacd input with dsd+pcm 192kHz;
4) and this a new issue: if I playback a dsf file the property dialog shows the wrong value but real time value of %samplerate% becomes right
see the attachment
Bye

Reply #14
Settings: Preferences > Tools > SACD > Output (per device) > Type: PCM 88200 Hz

↓ Please show me the Screen Shot.
Windows Control Panel > Sound > Audio Device > 24bit 88200 Hz

DSD Native playback is not possible.
What is the point of using DSD to PCM in an environment that does not support DSD?
Does it support High-Resolution Audio such as headphones?

Reply #15
1) Obviously native DSD palyback is not possibile
2) The only reason I've installed SACD input is to manage dsd format and correctly retrive informations as sample rate...database  purpose only...it always worked unti I installed and used externaltags
3) High definitions? Headphones? what's the matter?
Sorry but...are you a bot?
Bye
p.s.
my integrated audio board supports only few samplerate...but it has never been an issue

Reply #16
Try...

Settings: Preferences > Tools > SACD > Output (per device) > Type: PCM 48000 Hz
Windows Control Panel > Sound > Audio Device > 24bit 48000 Hz

Reply #17
Now the realtime value is 48KHz and 24bit, but the property dialog is still 88 / 24...
I changed PCM to 96KHz and the realtime value is correct, but nothin seems to affect the property dialog value

Reply #18
Properties >"Reload info".
The problem is to play.
Were you able to play it?

Reply #19
Yes, I'm able to play. As you saw I've to correctly match the sacd setting with integrated audio settiing. But Case gave me a good tip: I selected all the dsd files and asked for property. Then in the property dialog I selected tools>reload infos and...things become right. Static values updated and corrected!