Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone fit (Read 4103 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone fit

I suspect that there is no real answer to this problem i.e.  headphone fit.

By "chance" I have found that Sennheiser 180 phones are the most comfortable I have used. I did not come to these for comfort, that is something one can only find by hours of wearing, but by reading about its Kleer technology. I do think this is better than bluetooth and certainly has a greater range.

Problem is each of us have different size heads. My wife was pleased to learn that, when I had my head measured for a hat it was bigger than most; she always called me a "big head"!

So is there some metric one can use e.g. pressure applied to each ear on a "standard" head?

I am looking for some open back, wireless, (bluetooth would be fine in the required situation i.e. headphones would only be a short distance from smartphone with connected DAC) phones that are compact (the 180 and base are too bulky, and require AC power, for small backpacks). But must be comfortable.

In my hotel room I am wearing some Philips wired portable phones at present; sound is "ok" for direct connection to phones i.e. using phones DAC, but pressure on ears is not good.

Recharging would be a factor but this is so with the Sennheiser; I have a AAA charger with spare batteries at home for circumstances were I wear the phones for a long time. I could carry some rechargeable batteries with me; they don't weigh much.

Re: Headphone fit

Reply #1
To be honest, everyone's head is different, as is their ears' sensitivity to pad pressure. As it is unlikely that any shop will allow you an hour or more on each headphone that fits your technical requirements, you may have to call in favours for a lend from anyone you know who owns a comparable pair of headphones.

As someone with a larger than average head, I must say that I've never had a pair of Sennheisers that wasn't comfortable, and that covers about six different models across the last 25 or so years. I also wear glasses, which adds its own problems when it comes to comfort.

Reply #2
Thank you for your reply.

Reply #3
Have a look at IEMs (In Ear Monitor) like Etymotic ER4P
You don’t have any pressure on your ears.
Having them inserted can be another type of discomfort :)

Beside pressure, weight can be a burden too.
One of the reasons I like the Sennheiser HD800 is because of its wearing comfort.
Light pressure, light weight, over the ear, good cushions.

Have a look at battery powered Bluetooth receivers. They turn any headphone into a wireless one.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
 I have in ear phones but would like to avoid them if possible.

Maybe battery powered bt might work.

Reply #5
 I have in ear phones but would like to avoid them if possible.

I suppose I am looking for a device like my Google Chromecast Audio that is battery powered (rechargeable by micro USB cable like my phone/camera) that includes a better DAC than that in my phone that then transmits the upgraded audio to bluetooth speakers.

My Chromecast is connected, via toshlink, to a Cambdidge DAC that is connected to my hifi.

I am looking for a portable version, of the above,  for use on the road; slightly lower sound quality acceptable but not as low as the phones audio out, using the phones internal DAC, when running wired headphones from the phone.

Reply #6
I am looking for a portable version, of the above,  for use on the road; slightly lower sound quality acceptable but not as low as the phones audio out, using the phones internal DAC, when running wired headphones from the phone.

Most mobile phones now have nearly 16 bit limited output into a line in.  You didn't mention listening to a lot of 24 bit audio, so unless you have an exceptionally poor phone, you may not need anything at all. 

Reply #7
You could be right. I have not yet tried quality wired or BT headphones into my phone, mainly because I only have my Sennheiser wireless, older cheap on ear or older in ear headphones.

In the current older hotel room I am using it would be difficult to use wired headphones to my phone and charge phone at same time. May good BT phones would help here.

Must do some trials.