Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping WAV (lossless) with WMP11 - near EAC quality? (Read 27029 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping WAV (lossless) with WMP11 - near EAC quality?

I admit I am a newbie in this area so please be gentle.

I want to re-rip my CD collection to a WAV grade library on my NAS.

I tested EAC, but I can't get the artist folder, Album Name to appear on my Audiotron. These tags do appear in the OS window. Track name appears OK. Same result when I look at the ripped library via WMP11.

I tested WMP 11 and there is a setting to rip CDs to WAV (lossless). WMP 11 gives me all the album art, name, directly names, etc. that I couldn't get out of EAC to WAV.

What am I losing ripping WAV (lossless) with WMP11 other than the scratch processing strength EAC offers?

Reply #1
Hi, and welcome duffin!

1) You want to rip to WAV - why?
Read the Wiki and see if Lossless wouldn't fit you better. WAV does not have support for tags.

2) EAC has support for auto-tagging from database. See Database>Get CD Information From>FreeDb

3) WMP11 will probably rip the tracks just as good as EAC, but there's no way of knowing. EAC gives you peace of mind, especially with AccurateRip.

Edit: Now I see that the Audiotron is a stand-alone media player. Not the freshest either, supporting only WAV, MP3 and WMA. As I mentioned earlier, WAV doesn't support tags, so it's not strange that the Audiotron doesn't show it. You would probably be best served to make MP3's of the albums you want to play with the Audiotron.

Reply #2
The main difference quality/speedwise between ripping with WMP or EAC is:

- WMP will not tell you if there were ripping-errors. Most of the time however there are none. Ripping will be fast.
- EAC will usually tell you if there were ripping-errors. Most of the time however there are none. Ripping will be slow.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #3
[...]- EAC will usually tell you if there were ripping-errors. Most of the time however there are none. Ripping will be slow.
Burst with test?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #4
Try dbpoweramp.com Reference R12 version and encode to something like FLAC, which is lossless but significantly smaller then WAV and supports tags.
In general ripping with dbpoweramp is BOTH fast and secure, the best of both worlds.

Reply #7
also, you can play FLAC on the audiotron with this: http://file-ext-map.sourceforge.net/

That's nice module, but for the Audiotron the only benefit is the lower storage requirements. The tagging benefit with be lost in the conversion.

Secondly, he mentions having a NAS. Although pretty much all NASes run Linux and Samba, not many let you fiddle easily with them. Basically just the KuroBox or something that runs SlugOS (Such as the Linksys NSLU2) lets you do that.

Reply #8
Try dbpoweramp.com Reference R12 version and encode to something like FLAC, which is lossless but significantly smaller then WAV and supports tags.
In general ripping with dbpoweramp is BOTH fast and secure, the best of both worlds.
In general I don't know that dbpoweramp is any faster than EAC.

[...]- EAC will usually tell you if there were ripping-errors. Most of the time however there are none. Ripping will be slow.
Burst with test?
Still slower than pure burst.
Not by much if you're using AccurateRip instead of a test rip.

Reply #9
Thanks for all the insight!

My requirements are to rip to WAV Lossless because it is the highest common format compatible with my hardware list:
  • iPod
  • Sonos
  • Audiotron
  • future media players

I only want to rip the master library once and do not want to create a separate library for particular hardware.

FLAC would be great but doesn't work for iPod or completely for my other hardware as far as I can tell.

You may be wondering why WAV files to an iPod? My approach is to use a "checkin-/check-out" method to limit the amout of files I put on the iPod. This will force me to re-fresh the iPod with new tunes due to space limitations. Secondly, I want the lossless quality on the iPod since it integrates straight into the BMW X5 sound system.

Make sense?

So, it looks like WMP11 will hit all my needs for ripping, tagging and library management with WMP11; unless someone has an equally streamlined solution.

My ReadyNAS has 1TB so I have plenty of storage for music, pics and video.

My one grumble with WMP11 is that when I finish ripping a CD and put in the next one, WMP11 crashes. I am running XP Pro SP2 on a dual core 2 setup. Quirky!

BTW - Great forum!  I am a regular over at AVSForum and love the community help.

Reply #10
i dont see the point of using lossless compression with a non-secure ripper like wmp11. people who go for lossless are really serious about having their cds archived without any degradation in quality at all. and with a non-secure ripper you never really know if the rip was error free.

my advice: rip with eac, dbpoweramp or foobar2000, then compress to apple lossless or wma lossless.

Reply #11
My requirements are to rip to WAV Lossless because it is the highest common format compatible with my hardware list

gotcha.  although I think with a little work FLAC will also work in all those places.  it's supported natively by sonos which you probably already knew.  if you can run file-ext-map on the NAS it will support the AT with tags.  if you rockbox the ipod it can play FLAC too but I don't know if you're tied to itunes.

Josh

Reply #12
>In general I don't know that dbpoweramp is any faster than EAC.

If you had a CD and one track in the middle was scratched, then dBpoweramp should be much faster than EAC (if the CD is in AccurateRip) as the other tracks would rip in 1 pass and verify, EAC rips each track twice at a minimum in secure mode (unless using c2). The scratched track might rip in the same time as EAC, but then again depending on how scratched it is dBpoweramp could finish the rip early with a match from AccurateRip (by cross checking data chunks from each pass). R12 was designed to be as fast as theoretically possible whilst being secure.

Reply #13
>In general I don't know that dbpoweramp is any faster than EAC.

If you had a CD and one track in the middle was scratched, then dBpoweramp should be much faster than EAC (if the CD is in AccurateRip) as the other tracks would rip in 1 pass and verify, EAC rips each track twice at a minimum in secure mode (unless using c2). The scratched track might rip in the same time as EAC, but then again depending on how scratched it is dBpoweramp could finish the rip early with a match from AccurateRip (by cross checking data chunks from each pass). R12 was designed to be as fast as theoretically possible whilst being secure.

I very much like what you have done with your ripper though there is nothing stopping me from ripping all my tracks in burst mode, checking the accurate rip results and re-ripping the questionable tracks again using a secure mode.  This isn't much different than dBpowerAMP, correct?  Yes the track in the middle might be read an additional time depending on the settings used but this would hardly result in dBpowerAMP being "much" faster.

I also want to add that with my Plextor I don't use burst mode.  I actually use C2 and -usefua which gives me decent (albeit not perfect) security with burst speeds.  IOW, it is possible perform rereads to get accurate data without having to read everything twice; just like dBpowerAMP when ultra-secure passes are disabled (not withstanding the use of C2 pointers during re-reads which is more a comment on dBpowerAMP's superior accuracy rather than on speed).  But remember:  once ultra-secure passes are disabled, dBpowerAMP isn't any better at discovering errors than EAC when C2 pointers are being used.

Point taken about cross checking data from each pass.  The other great thing about dBpowerAMP over EAC is that all this ripping checking and reripping is done automatically.

Reply #14
I tested EAC, but I can't get the artist folder, Album Name to appear on my Audiotron. These tags do appear in the OS window. Track name appears OK. Same result when I look at the ripped library via WMP11.

DbPoweramp R12 will properly rip and tag WAV files so that the tags can be read by your Audiotron.

Reply #15
Well, you all convinced me to use dBpoweramp CD Ripper over WMP11.

I downloaded the free version here and did some testing and everything worked to my satisfaction.

Then I bought the package here, but got a different Ripper that is more basic. What's up with that?

Went back to the free version, I guess. It does tags, but I couldn't get album art to appear. Suggestions?

Did I miss the setting to have the tray automatically eject after files are ripped?

Also, in the future, how do I plug in the FLAC encoder? Is that here?

Is there a way to batch convert in the future my whole library to FLAC?

Thanks all for being so helpful to a newbie!

Reply #16
This page details differences in Versions:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

Which options are missing? Auto Eject is in all versions, should be in Options.

To plug in Flac, just run the installer, it auto adds its self.

There is a Batch Converter, select your main folder and batch convert everything to FLAC.

Reply #17
Thanks Spoon for confirming the FLAC plug in and the functionality of the Batch Converter.

The application downloading and suites are a bit confusing to a person who never heard of dBpoweramp before.

I was directled earlier in the thread to download the dBpoweramp which I did from the  download link on the dbpoweramp.com site. It redirected me to a cNet site here.

The dMC-r12 install file contained dBpoweramp CD Ripper which I tested and liked and CD dBpoweramp Music Converter.

I then unintsalled all the files that came with dMC-r12.

I then went back to the dbpoweramp.com site to the registration page to purchase the Power Pack & MP3 license. I then was given permission to download the install file dBpowerAMPCDWriter-Registered-r2-FL.

Now I can't get the CD Ripper app to appear. Hummmm...

BTW - Post #5 in the R12 Support FAQ solved the CD cover art issue for the CD Ripper trial version.

When I check my registration status under dBpoweramp Configuration it shows my R12 versions as unregistered even though I bought it. Can you direct me to the proper forum area to resolve this?

Reply #19
CD Writer is currently R11.5 as it is waiting to be updated to be compatible with R12, drop me an email please and include the order number:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Spoon, thanks for your personal assistance.

When I downloaded the purchased install file (dBpowerAMPCDWriter-Registered-r2-FL), it does not include CD Ripper.

I did get CD Ripper as part of the trial file I downloaded from the CNET site (dMC-r12), but when I uninstalled it before installing the purchased version (dBpowerAMPCDWriter-Registered-r2-FL), I didn’t get CD Ripper back with the purchased bundle.

Is CD Ripper R12 only available through the trial version on the CNET download site? How do I pay for it or is it in BETA?

I thought I was paying for the latest, full version of the CD Ripper when I bought the bundle. The other apps don’t interest me for the moment since I am trying to create a library for an Audiotron and Sonos.

Reply #20
CD Writer does contain the CD Ripper (it is called Audio CD Input in that older version), just not the latest.

I have emailed the latest version of R12.

Reply #21
CD Writer does contain the CD Ripper (it is called Audio CD Input in that older version), just not the latest.

I have emailed the latest version of R12.

Why am I getting the older version from the purchase links?

Someone needs to revamp how these download packages are presented, found, etc. I followed the directions exactly on the website. If they didn't work for me, there must be hundreds of other lost opportunities out there. I'd rather support you guys, but this experience makes it hard.

Reply #22
Because R12 of Music Converter, stops CD Writer from working (as it relies on R11.5). CD Writer is being updated ASAP to clear this issue.

Reply #23
I am very skeptical of any suggestions that EAC makes any difference vs using WMP11 and a good cd writer such as those from LiteOn. I am skeptical because I have found no evidence comparing EAC ripping with WMP or any other ripping, despite the ease with which this could be done.

I will be using WMP11 to rip to WAV.

Reply #24
I am skeptical because I have found no evidence comparing EAC ripping with WMP or any other ripping, despite the ease with which this could be done.

...and I'm guessing you're probably not interested in finding any evidence to support your skepticism either.

Since you said it's easy, how you think one should go about conducting a test to show that WMP is capable of ripping with the same degree of accuracy as EAC?