Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_queuecontents - View and edit queue (Read 165333 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_queuecontents - View and edit queue

Reply #50
Thx for working on the plugin

But in my opinion, some more work is still needed to make it functional...
Unless I'm doing something wrong, this "Queue playlist" is not really the playback queue. It only contains songs, that I add by choosing from context menu "Add to playback queue". But when I double-click e.g. the second song of particular album, playback is started and foobar plays this song and next the 3rd song of this album and then 4th, etc. During this playback, Queue playlist provided by your plugin remains blank.

The essence of queue is that it is a list of songs that will be played next, it is not a playlist, that I create using context menu option.

And - as it was mentioned in the thread - Columns UI panel functionality would be awesome.
Regards

Sorry, but you're mistaken.  The "Playback Queue" is specifically only those songs for which you select "add to playback queue" from the context menu.  It seems what you're looking for is a "Default" or "Now Playing" playlist, similar to what would be found in Winamp.  That's not possible with foobar2000, and is pretty pointless considering the extensive playlist options that foobar2000 provides. 

The "list of songs that will be played next", as you put it, is the playlist.  That's specifically what a playlist is, a "list of songs to be played".  You don't need a special component to display this.

Reply #51
when I choose "add to playback queue" from the context menu, ElPlaylist remains the same

you should select Queue as ELPlaylist playlist, and it will work
drag&drop isn't supported for queue, so if you want it just use normal playlist and pretend it's queue

Reply #52
The "list of songs that will be played next", as you put it, is the playlist. That's specifically what a playlist is, a "list of songs to be played". You don't need a special component to display this.

In playlists tab I have "My music", *Browser*, "Filter Results" (from Columns UI) and Queue (by foo_queuecontents) and none of them is a queue.

Queue is a list of all songs waiting to be played. And how can it be impossible with foobar, which is so configurable and has so many plugins available, while in Winamp it is an onboard functionality.

you should select Queue as ELPlaylist playlist, and it will work

Yes, but only for files, that I queued by context menu. And this is why it won't show all files that will be played next: e.g. I choose first song of an album to play and foobar (columns UI) will automatically play all songs of this album following this one. And then, maybe, files that I added by context menu. ElPlaylist, in this configuration, will show only those from context menu.

When I choose "Follow NowPlaying playlist" in ElPlaylist, on the other hand, my NowPlaying album is shown there, but I cannot add there files to queue, neither by context menu nor by drag&drop.

I need a combination of Queue (by foo_queuecontents) and NowPlaying playlist (by ElPlaylist) that would be able to show in a particular moment everything that foobar will play since that moment, unless I change something.

Reply #53
In playlists tab I have "My music", *Browser*, "Filter Results" (from Columns UI) and Queue (by foo_queuecontents) and none of them is a queue.

Just create yet another playlist and fill it with the tracks you want to be played.

Reply #54
When you double click an item in playlist view that playlist becomes NowPlaying playlist, but it's not automatically Queue
You can drag&drop, remove, overwrite, take all kind of actions on this NowPlaying playlist, as on any other foobar playlist
If you switch to other playlist and double click some item there - than that playlist will become NowPlaying playlist
Queue is special locked playlist with limited options (as for number of items you can add, you can't drag&drop etc), thou you can rearange and do some little things with the help of this component

Reply #55

Just create yet another playlist and fill it with the tracks you want to be played.

I don't want to change anything about the way I search songs and arrange their playback. I just want a panel, that would
be able to show in a particular moment everything that foobar will play since that moment, unless I change something.

As you probably realized - those elements, that would be shown in this panel, don't necessarily belong to the same playlist. (e.g. because of using the queue context menu function). Of course, it would be great if I could also modify contents of that panel (delete/drag&drop), what would be equal to modifying planned playback, but the most important thing is the preview.

And I really don't know why you understand the word 'queue' as a playlist generated by "add to playback queue" context menu option. Queue are all the songs that foobar is set to play and their order. They are waiting for playback in a ...queue.

Reply #56

Well, that's your fault.  Make a playlist containing the songs you want to play.  If you don't want to play "My music" or "Filter Results", then don't play them!  Only the songs you want to play (in queue) should be added to your playlist.

And if "My music" contains all of the music in your library, then STOP DOING THAT!  Cramming all of your music into a playlist is the "iTunes" way of doing things.  You can't choose to do things the "iTunes" way, and then complain that foobar isn't doing it the "Winamp" way.

Queue is a list of all songs waiting to be played. And how can it be impossible with foobar, which is so configurable and has so many plugins available, while in Winamp it is an onboard functionality.

How is what you're asking for any different than a playlist?  If you double click on a song in a playlist, the rest of the songs in that playlist are the "list of songs waiting to be played".  Why are you making this so much more difficult than it needs to be?

I don't want to change anything about the way I search songs and arrange their playback. I just want a panel, that would be able to show in a particular moment everything that foobar will play since that moment, unless I change something.

Look, I get it, you used to use Winamp (or some other player), and now you're trying to turn foobar2000 into Winamp.  I used Winamp for about 10 years or so before switching to foobar.  I know that Winamp uses a "Playlist Editor" component to display the now playing.  Trust me when I say that what you're asking for makes no sense in the context of what foobar does.  If you're truly unwilling to "change anything about the way I search for songs and arrange their playback", then foobar evidently is not for you.  Switch to a player that does it the way you want.  However, if you choose to give it a chance (as I did), I can almost guarantee you'll look back at this thread and realize how ridiculous this request is.

As you probably realized - those elements, that would be shown in this panel, don't necessarily belong to the same playlist.

WHY?  Why do you want to play multiple songs in a queue and specifically NOT put them on the same playlist?  How does that make any sense?

And I really don't know why you understand the word 'queue' as a playlist generated by "add to playback queue" context menu option. Queue are all the songs that foobar is set to play and their order. They are waiting for playback in a ...queue.

Once again, you're mistaken.  A "queue" IS specifically those songs in which the user has selected "add to playback queue".  The "songs that foobar is set to play and their order" is a PLAYLIST!  The playlist is the list of songs playing / waiting to be played.  As I've said before, you're making this WAY more difficult than it needs to be. 

Reply #57
@  krzyszcz: the only reason I can imagine, why you want the queue the way you describe it, is: to get a preview of what´s played next if you play your library in shuffle or random mode, and eventually want to edit that. Anything else makes no sense and is neither wanted nor needed, if you understand the principle behind foobar. The queue here is definitely only to send additional or better from you defined tracks to the playback, nothing more. And to watch anything YOU added you have the Queue playlist, and that´s enough.

Reply #58
New version of the component is available! Now it supports default ui element too which means that you can view (and edit) queue contents using an ui element. This required quite a lot of hard work (windows gui programming...). I've tried to ensure that the looks of the component follow the general looks of the foobar2000.

Hopefully there's no bugs, please report if you find any. Much appreciated!

You can download version 0.2 from the component web site http://sites.google.com/site/salskisite/foo_queuecontents.

Reply #59
Hello kerpondile! Thanks for the new version esp. the UI element. It works  great so far.

First feature request: Add Drag&Drop from playlist into UI element.

Edit: And first bug report: It seems I can't remove the "Queue"-playlist, even after disabling the queue-playlist feature in the preferences.

Reply #60
Thank you for further developing this component.

Feature Request:

Please don't kick me for that. 

Columns Ui support!

I know you just coded a Default Ui panel
but you guessed it: I don't use default Ui... 

Would be awesome!

Thx again.

Reply #61
I didn't want to be the first to request it...

I would also love it. If it's too much work then don't worry about it, but a columns ui panel would be very fantastic.

Reply #62
thanks for making it available for DUI, kerpondile!

LE: i hope you'll implement the right click menu for the contents inside the queue tab; also i think i found a bug: when i select a track inside the queue, the text is not visible, it probably is the same color as the selection bar

Reply #63
Hello kerpondile! Thanks for the new version esp. the UI element. It works  great so far.

First feature request: Add Drag&Drop from playlist into UI element.

Edit: And first bug report: It seems I can't remove the "Queue"-playlist, even after disabling the queue-playlist feature in the preferences.

OK, This should be easy to fix. As a workaround you should be able to restart foobar and then delete the queue playlist.
EDIT: Yes drag&drop would be perhaps logical...I will consider it

Thank you for further developing this component.

Feature Request:

Please don't kick me for that.  ;)

Columns Ui support!

I know you just coded a Default Ui panel
but you guessed it: I don't use default Ui... 

Would be awesome!

Thx again.

For now I improve and fix bugs in the default ui version. Maybe later, who knows

I didn't want to be the first to request it... ;)

I would also love it. If it's too much work then don't worry about it, but a columns ui panel would be very fantastic.

thanks for making it available for DUI, kerpondile!

LE: i hope you'll implement the right click menu for the contents inside the queue tab; also i think i found a bug: when i select a track inside the queue, the text is not visible, it probably is the same color as the selection bar

This depends a bit on the colors; could you please provide me the background color you are using? Context menu sounds a nice addition.

Thanks to everybody for your support.

Reply #64
I really would like to try your plugin, but I cannot get to the download page (probably it is blocked by the Chinese government since I am in China at the moment). Is it possible for you to put it else where so I can try to download it again?
Thanks in advance.

ftc

Reply #66
Got it, thanks a lot kerpondile.

ftc

Reply #67
Yesterday i tried to find a bug in the uielement but without no luck!  I was more lucky with the queue playlist. There are two issues i experienced:

If you add tracks to queue playlist by dropping a selection on playlist tab of queueplaylist then the added tracks will be diplayed twice - on the other hand in uielement you will see the correct queue. Maybe this helps to find the bug: surprisingly this doesn't happen if the queue playlist is disabled in the preferences. edit: strikethrough and "how stupid can i be?"

If you ironically applies the "Add to Playback Queue" on entries inside the queue playlist so these tracks are added to the bottom of the queue playlist - what else? But in random cases your selection wil change to arbitrary tracks. I am not able to see a rule.

Reply #68
I would love to see a Columns UI panel too, but I'm just glad that this plugin now works with the latest version of fb2k - it was the one plugin I was missing from 0.9. Thanks for all your hard work Kerpondile!

Reply #69
Great work! A small request:

It would be great if dragging items onto the 'queue' playlist would behave exactly like "Add to Playback Queue". Meaning that after the queue has finished, playback would continue in the playlist the queued items came from. Right now playback returns to the playlist you have been listening to before queueing items.

Reply #70
Thanks!

About the queue playlist:
I understand this but I think it's not worth investigating more since the playlist feature in the component is a bit shabby already. I really don't want to complicate it even further. The problem is that the queue playlist is...well, a playlist.... and therefore works like every other playlist in the foobar. Certainly it is possible to do what you suggest but still it will probably not nice in terms of implementation.

I've been working on developing the ui component (also columns ui component coming up) further so it would support drag & drop etc., and hopefully would make it more preferable alternative over playlist. I will keep supporting (fixing bugs) in the 'queue playlist', but will not add new features related to it.

Reply #71
Thanks for the reply, thats fine for me. I doesn't make a big difference whether the behaviour I described above is implemented for the ui panel or the playlist.

Reply #72
hi
great component
I report foobar crash when trying to reorder Queue playlist content with an item who came from a deleted playlist
especially when items are pick up from Column UI filter search (who display result in the same playlist :'Filter Results')
thanks

Reply #73
Thanks, I actually stumbled upon this when developing the next version. It will be fixed.

Reply #74
New version (0.3) released, check the first post for download link!

It contains new features and lots of bug fixes. Also columns ui support added due to user demand!