Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod manager (Read 2214830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: iPod manager

Reply #4200
The thanks for the response. The issue was an old playlist that still referenced the disconnected share. Appreciate the help.

Reply #4201
Dear community,

I like to report problem with the ipod manager 0.7.2 under foobar2000 version 2.0 (32 bit). I am running an old ipod touch 2g which is supported. I just copy and paste what I wrote under foobar2000 v2.0bugs. The first message provides some addition information about my setup.

"I guess my wired setup might be the reason but it worked for several years. I use an ipod touch 2G and I love the playlist features which help me to teach my sport lessons. I know that sounds strange but I do not like the idea of streaming. I own the music and I can use it when I want to use it. Anyway

when I connect my ipod touch 2G it will be recognized by win11 under usb-devices (apple mobile device usb composite device). In this state I cannot use the ipod manager 0.7.2 because the device can not be found. It is every time the same procedure. Now I need to uninstall the apple mobile device usb composite device driver and also set unistall driver. After that I need to rediscover all changed devices. Now the ipod touch 2G is recognized as USB-Controller device (apple mobile device usb driver ver 6.0.9999.67 from 18.05.2015). In this state ipod manger 0.7.2. finds my ipod touch 2G and can be synced. I know it sounds rediclious but this worked for me several years since the 2.0 update appeared. What I am looking for is a configuration without the whole itunes package, just the drivers to get foobar running. I spended so my hours in the past to get it running and I really fear the effort again to set it up working. May you or others had the same issue and can provide a setup that is foolproof."

"In my humble opinion there has to be any connection with the new version. I reinstalled foobar2000_v2.0 (32bit) in a different directory and ran it. The ipod touch 2g is support (https://wiki.yuo.be/dop:start at least for my software version) and was recognized. I used File->iPod->manage contents, where a window appeard, curiously since some update in the past "genius playlists" appeard several time on my device, but I don't want to complain about it, if the whole device still syncs. Now I tried to remove some old playlist and all of these genius playlists. Finally I hit "save and close" and following error appeard

I/O Error: AFCFileRefOpen returned: 2 Path was: /com.apple.itunes.lock_sync

So I closed foobar2.0 and reopened directly the old version 1.6.16 and did the same steps above, but this time it worked. So in my humble opinion something is not right aligned between these two versions. Does anybody has any ideas about it?"

Please let me know if I can provide further assistance.

Many thanks

Reply #4202
I installed foobar2000 2.0 32-bit and the compatible version of iTunes in a Windows 11 VM, and connected my iPod touch 4G to that VM. I was able to use Manage contents without problem.

The only reference to that error code I can find is at: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=86621.0

You could also try opening the iPod system log in the same way (Shift+File/iPod/System log viewer) and see if anything is logged there after triggering the error. (In your case the error only seems to be when writing, which is different from the linked post.)

If you want to try a VM, VMware Workstation Player is free and so are short-term Windows VM images: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/ When you connect a USB device, VMware Workstation Player will offer to connect it to the virtual machine. (Surprisingly, the download for the compatible version of iTunes for 64-bit Windows is also still live at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1816.)

Reply #4203
Hi there.

I have a function request which may sound strange: is it possible to add a function to transfer music files to certain drive letter with manually specified iPod model and then rebuild the iTunes database automatically?

The reason I desire this feature is that I have an iPod 2nd Gen from 2002 with a 10GB hard disk. The hard disk had some bad blocks so I replaced it with a CF card.

I managed to restore the firmware to the CF card and the iPod could recognize it as a HDD, but for some complicated reasons, the flash card/SSD modified iPod 1nd~3rd Gen would not sync with iTunes by FireWire connection.

Some of these FireWire-only iPods users have discovered that iPod mini can be used as a CF card reader, so they can sync their music files to iPod mini and then put the CF card back into their FireWire iPods, but this method involves disassembling both iPods and rewriting the firmware every time.

I know that iPod Manager automatically recognizes iPod device and it's model, and then transfer the music file to the iPod disk, then create or rebuild the iTunesDB and iTunesControl database files.

Is it possible to have iPod Manager perform this series of operations on a manually specified drive letter? In this way, I can simply put the CF card into the normal card reader and transfer music files.

Thanks!

Reply #4204
For such an old iPod model it could be theoretically implemented (for newer models less so, because it actually issues USB commands to query certain properties from the iPod). Alas, as you're probably aware, the component hasn't had any updates in a few years (interest has clearly dropped, and I haven't used an iPod in many years...)

Reply #4205
For such an old iPod model it could be theoretically implemented (for newer models less so, because it actually issues USB commands to query certain properties from the iPod). Alas, as you're probably aware, the component hasn't had any updates in a few years (interest has clearly dropped, and I haven't used an iPod in many years...)

Thanks for the reply.

I completely understand that it was a strange request and you've also lost interest in the iPod devices after all these years. In fact, iPod has not been my primary music player since about 10 years ago.

I've taken the liberty of making this feature request for two main reasons: First, iPod Manager is the best iPod music syncing utility I've ever used on Windows, it requires no installation, and it's simple to use. Second, even though the iPod is no longer popular and has even been retired, it is still a symbol of its time, especially the early iPods, which symbolized the beginning of the digital music era.

So with a device like this, I think it makes sense to have a tool that keeps them alive.

If you don't have the time or for any other reason not to update your iPod manager right now, I completely understand. After all, it's always been a free tool and there's nothing to be gained by doing so. I just look forward to the day when, if you have nothing better to do and plan to bring more updates to it, you'll take this need of mine into consideration.

Thanks and regards!