Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How many files in the library (Read 9939 times) previous topic - next topic

How many files in the library

I have a simple question prior to using this software. I did search for the topic before posting so I apologize if it's been answered before and I didn't find the answer.

I have about 76,000 mp3 files in my library. I've found that a number of programs, especially iTunes as well as some others, simply can't manage a library this large. They slow down or take a very long time to load or, in the case of iTunes, it took over 3 days to load and then 15+ minutes between songs to play a playlist. I'm hoping to avoid this mess proactively.

So my question is, will this software handle a library of that size without any problems or should I be looking elsewhere? On the Linux side I've been using Rthymbox and it works fine but it doesn't run on Windows and at work I have to use Windows.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or discussion. I do appreciate it.

David

Re: How many files in the library

Reply #1
I have a simple question prior to using this software.
what software program are you referring to? Foobar2000?

If so, my library of over 54,000 files is handled with ease in foobar; no slow down of the system. I can't remember how long it takes to scan the library, but it's an hour or so at the most, and certainly not days.

Reply #2
what software program are you referring to? Foobar2000?

If so, move the thread ...

At that size the OP mentions, one might expect library searches to be a bit slow, depending on what fields are indexed.
(The initial indexing of course takes its time.)

Reply #3
I have 74.441 Files and Foobar2000 (together with facets) handles them perfect without any gaps or hanging.

Reply #4
246 000 files here and no problem whatsoever with Foobar2000.

Reply #5
10,522 all FLAC. 300GB in size. I can safely say that I own either the CD, Vinyl or HDTracks download of every single one. The size of the libraries I see people bragging about online a lot does make me wonder how they obtain such a collection :-)

I love ordering up CD's from the likes of MusicMagpie or Amazon. Record Fayres, eBay.... Anything as long as its Physical so I know what I'm getting. Only downloads are high res albums from HDTracks for a select few of my favourite albums that I had to give 24/96 a go with.

I spend a lot of money on music.... So when I see collections measuring into the TB's and over 200k tracks I just wonder....
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC