Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it possible to add support for .aiff format? (Read 1972 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to add support for .aiff format?

Hi,

I would like to verify a CD rip in the .aiff format - which currently can't be done.

Can I add this format support into CUETools 2.2.2 and, if so, how would I go about setting it up?
I looked through the forum and the CUETools wiki for an answer about this, but failed to find anything.

Thank you.

Re: Is it possible to add support for .aiff format?

Reply #1
You would need to register .aiff as a lossless format then add a decoder (likely using ffmpeg).
I'm on the road today so I won't be able to test anything until tomorrow.
korth

Reply #2
You would need to register .aiff as a lossless format then add a decoder (likely using ffmpeg).
I'm on the road today so I won't be able to test anything until tomorrow.

Ok, thanks for your help.

Reply #3
You could of course use a compressed format - after all, those are better suited.
If you want to be sure that you can get your AIFF back - not only the audio, but even with any weird non-audio chunks - then the most recent WavPack release has got AIFF support.

Reply #4
Do never use wavpack, use ffmpeg.

Reply #5
I needed an encoder also for testing (I didn't have a CD rip in .aiff format to test).
ffmpeg.exe copied to CUETools folder
FLAC > AIFF > verify
AIFF > FLAC > verify
seems okay (tagging is not supported but changing Tagger setting corrupts encoding)
If your files are actually .aif instead of .aiff you'll need adjust.

X
X
X
korth

Reply #6
Thank you, Korth!

After following your lead, I can now process .aiff files through "Verify" in the usual way.

Much appreciated.

There is a small, connected issue that you might be able to help with:

Whilst I was playing around (following the wiki) trying to add this capability into CUETools myself, I made several experimental additions in the "Decoders" section - see the attached image.

Now I can't permanently delete them. I hit the red, delete button (as on the image) and they are removed, but they reappear after a reboot of the CUETools app.

I know I could probably edit the settings file for CUETools to remove the entries, but I wondered if this is a genuine bug and if it could be easily fixed? I did try running the CUETools app "as administrator" to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Reply #9
Thread Update: aiff decoding was added as of CUETools 2.2.5 using the ffmpeg.dll plugin (requires additional .dll files, links can be found on the download page).
korth