Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: folder.jpg not copied or used in batch mode on 2.20 (Read 3731 times) previous topic - next topic

folder.jpg not copied or used in batch mode on 2.20

For one of my CDs, folder.jpg is not used when cover.jpg is also present in the folder in batch mode.

In interactive mode, folder.jpg and cover.jpg are listed and there is a prompt to pick one.
In batch mode, no artwork is used.

Also note that in batch mode, the other 31 cds in this batch are processed correctly and the folder.jpg is copied.
If I move cover.jpg out of the directory, then folder.jpg is copied and used to embed in files.

Works correctly on 2.16
dpr

Re: folder.jpg not copied or used in batch mode on 2.20

Reply #1
Hi dpr,

if you have got both, folder.jpg and cover.jpg in the directory of the album, then you can edit the CUETools settings to define, which one will be used.
Remove cover.jpg here:
CUETools - Settings - Advanced - Cover Art - Cover Art Files:

folder.jpg;cover.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg
->
folder.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg

Reply #2
That setting (pre 2.1.7) used to stop searching at the 1st match (in order) and ignore the rest when in batch mode.
korth

Reply #3
Correction: The selection at 1st match in batch mode did still work in 2.1.7
The setting was still stored in a string array
Code: [Select]
Advanced=<CUEConfigAdvanced>
=  <CoverArtFiles>
=    <string>folder.jpg</string>
=    <string>cover.jpg</string>
=    <string>albumart.jpg</string>
=    <string>thumbnail.jpg</string>
=    <string>albumartlarge.jpg</string>
=    <string>front.jpg</string>
=    <string>%album%.jpg</string>
=  </CoverArtFiles>

before 2.1.8, the setting was changed to delimited by semicolon and the batch mode selection no longer works as before
=  "CoverArtFiles": "folder.jpg;cover.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg"
korth

Reply #4
before 2.1.8, the setting was changed to delimited by semicolon and the batch mode selection no longer works as before
=  "CoverArtFiles": "folder.jpg;cover.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg"

Thanks to you and Wolfgang for the explanation of the change and the workaround. In my view, the behaviour is a bit confusing using 2.20. Here's an example.

I have two files in the directory:
- folder.jpg
- cover.jpg

Cover Art Files is  set to folder.jpg;cover.jpg;albumart.jpg;thumbnail.jpg;albumartlarge.jpg;front.jpg;%album%.jpg

- When I run in interactive mode, Cuetools gives me a choice of which file to use - ignoring the Cover Art Files list.
- When I run in batch mode, it doesn't give me a choice and it silently ignores both files - and the preference in the Cover Art Files list..

What's the point of Cover Art Files?
- For interactive mode, I can see prompting as ok.
- I think the batch mode should definitely using the list from Cover Art Files and pick folder.jpg and use it. I'm curious, Why did this change?

Not a big deal, as I can work around it and its made me clean up my directories
Dave

Reply #5
Actually my comments were more directed to @c72578 Wolfgang as I believe it to be an unintentional bug.
korth

Reply #6
Actually my comments were more directed to @c72578 Wolfgang as I believe it to be an unintentional bug.

I think it's a bug too.

I also think batch and interactive should be as identical as possible. The 'picking' behaviour in interactive mode could be argued to be ok and not use to the list of files in  CoverArtFiles, although I'm not convinced.

Reply #7
The different behavior is coming from this commit (`between CUETools 2.1.7 and 2.1.8`):
Fix issues with downloaded album art.
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/commit/3f121a8f9e9716b83bfc150e24ff399eda58961d

Line of interest:
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/blob/ddec34a1ff613fe63522e9a0a48f84f3e3356395/CUETools.Processor/CUESheet.cs#L1847
TagLib.IPicture selected = e.selection == -1 ? null : _albumArt[e.selection];

This means, if no album art is selected in the dialog, which is the case in batch mode, then no album art will be used (null).

Reply #8
The different behavior is coming from this commit (`between CUETools 2.1.7 and 2.1.8`):
Fix issues with downloaded album art.
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/commit/3f121a8f9e9716b83bfc150e24ff399eda58961d

This means, if no album art is selected in the dialog, which is the case in batch mode, then no album art will be used (null).

Do you agree that this is a bug?

Reply #11
batch mode okay
no covers single rip, no interactive pop-up selection window
source files
   image.wav
   image.cue
   folder.jpg
   cover.jpg
korth

Reply #14
Ran it again.
I still get no folder.jpg and no embedded artwork in output files in interactive mode no prompt (same rip in 2.1.6 interactive mode does create folder.jpg and embeds artwork without prompt so not the same behavior here)
korth

Reply #15
Ran it again as well.

One folder, two files: folder.jpg and cover.jpg

Interactive Mode:
- 2.16 no prompt, finds folder.jpg and uses it to encode into file and copy to folder
- 2.20 prompts for file, and uses selection to encode into file and copy to folder
- 2.21-test version: no prompt and no file used

Batch Mode:
- 2.16:  no prompt, finds folder.jpg and uses it to encode into file and copy to folder
- 2.20:  no prompt and no file used
- 2.21- test version: no prompt and no file used.

Reply #17
That's better. I'd like to do a bit more testing this weekend though.
korth

Reply #18
@dpr, @korth thanks for testing and the feedback.
An updated build for testing has been prepared:
https://github.com/gchudov/cuetools.net/pull/171

CUETools_2.2.1_2022-02-24_git_9bd947b.zip
Wolfgang,

I ran a test. Success on both modes for me:

Interactive Mode:
- 2.21-test version CUETools_2.2.1_2022-02-24_git_9bd947b.zip:  prompt and selected file used

Batch Mode:
- 2.21- test version CUETools_2.2.1_2022-02-24_git_9bd947b.zip:  no prompt and correct file used.

Thanks for fixing it! Apologies for the delay in testing - was away from my computer...
David

Reply #19
Sorry for the delay. Seems fine.
korth