Skip to main content

Topic: A new resampler DSP for foobar2000 (Read 603890 times) previous topic - next topic

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Re: A new resampler DSP for foobar2000
Reply #50
What's the benefit of real-time up/down sampling? I thought people use these kind of plugins just for converting?
The benefit of real time is you don't have to remaster you entire music library to enjoy a high sample rate, because it's done on the fly.

And I dare say that enjoying a high sample rate resulting from upsampling is purely placebo effect. Then again, I dare say enjoying a high sample rate period is purely placebo effect. You're welcome to get your ears tested, but you'd probably be hard pressed to find any audio labs with equipment that peaks higher than 20 kHz. You could be like me, and find that at the ripe old age of 35, your hearing peaks out at around 14,800 Hz.

• bmcelvan
  • [*][*]
Reply #51
What's the benefit of real-time up/down sampling? I thought people use these kind of plugins just for converting?
The benefit of real time is you don't have to remaster you entire music library to enjoy a high sample rate, because it's done on the fly.

And I dare say that enjoying a high sample rate resulting from upsampling is purely placebo effect. Then again, I dare say enjoying a high sample rate period is purely placebo effect. You're welcome to get your ears tested, but you'd probably be hard pressed to find any audio labs with equipment that peaks higher than 20 kHz. You could be like me, and find that at the ripe old age of 35, your hearing peaks out at around 14,800 Hz.

I'm 38 and I peak out at 17.4 kHz but I think that still proves the point.

But hey, you never know...maybe at 47 kHz it vibrates the paint on the wall in such a way that it actually makes it microscopically flake off thus creating the additional "paint dust falling off the wall" noise that makes the music somehow feel warmer or better

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #52
Yes, but my point was that upsampling will not magically create frequencies that were lost in the original sampling process. It may create distortion, if the resampler is broken, but it won't bring back what was lost.

There may be hope for that sort of thing if one can train a neural network against original audio data and high quality downsampled or low pass filtered to half the original frequency response, using a wide variety of audio content. Similar to how the wonderfully named waifu2x filter works for drawn and sometimes even photographed image content.

It would probably be best trained against and trained to generate frequency domain sample data, using relatively small, overlapping windows, translated back to time domain using Fast Fourier Transform.

• bennetng
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
waifu2x
I don't understand why image and video upsampling can really improve perceived quality in many cases, for example madVR (NGU works for everything in my opinion) and SVP. Audio upsampling is not funny at all, even for nontransparent sample rates like 16kHz.
  • Last Edit: 15 July, 2017, 11:08:41 AM by bennetng