Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External DACs and universal format CD players (Read 61309 times) previous topic - next topic

External DACs and universal format CD players

Though I am not a huge fan of formats such as DVD-A and SACD, I do find that artists release unique remasters in these formats that are not available on CD or via digital download that I would like to give a listen to.

I recently purchased a used Pioneer DVD player that will play DVD-A and SACD discs.  If I were to connect this DVD player to a receiver via either TOSLink or Coaxial to a receiver, what formats does the receiver need to support?  I assume if the DAC can do 16/44.1 PCM, CDs will play just fine.  But what happens with SACDs?  Will the receiver need to support DSD in order to decode a digital signal from the player when playing an SACD?  And what abut DVD-A?  It's native format is MLP, which I believe is just compressed PCM?  Will the player decompress the MLP into PCM, or does the DAC in the receiver need to be able to handle native MLP?

Re: External DACs and universal format CD players

Reply #1
It is not possible to send DSD over toslink and coaxial. Also it is not possible to send multichannel over toslink and coaxial except lossy DTS and AC3.

Reply #2
So, for DVD-A and SACD, I have to use the analog out, instead of the digital out?

Reply #3
Yes.
Is it 575A? :)
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #4
Pioneer Elite DV-45A