Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Accurate Burn of Audio CDs (Read 704 times) previous topic - next topic

Accurate Burn of Audio CDs

tl;dr: How to create a AR-perfect copy of an audio CD?

I was trying to replicate an audio CD from a CUE+IMG rip. This rip is verified to be accurate both with foobar and with Cuetools (confidence 28..29), offset=0. But after burning this image to CD-R, the rip of this copy could not be found in AR's database. Problems found so far:

Recorder #1: BENQ EW1621 (sample offset: +618 according to dbPoweramp)
 a) The copy has an offset of -66 samples
 b) The last track has two additional frames (1176 samples)
 c) After applying an offset of +66 samples (Cuetools) and cutting (1176-66) 1110 samples, all tracks became binary identical to the source files
Recorder #2: ASUS BW16D1HT (sample offset: +6 according to dbPoweramp)
 a) The copy has an offset of -6 samples
 b) All tracks have correct duration
 c) None of the tracks are binary identical to the source files
Recording software: ImgBurn v2.5.8.0

Conclusion:
 - Recorder #1 produces offset different from its reading offset: 1110 samples vs. 618 samples
 - Recorder #1 adds extra data at the end of the recording
 - Recorder #2 seems to be bad

Questions:
 a) Do recorders have different offsets for reading/writing?
 b) How to create a AR-perfect copy of an audio CD?

Re: Accurate Burn of Audio CDs

Reply #1

a) Do recorders have different offsets for reading/writing?
Yes the read and write offset correction can be different.

b) How to create a AR-perfect copy of an audio CD?
for the offset issue
* Use burn software that can apply the write offset correction. (e.g. EAC)
* Pre-apply the write offset correction to file(s) before burning (e.g. CUETools)

If you're just ripping temporary files to burn a CD and using the same drive to read and write, you can apply a combined read/write offset correction when ripping and just burn the file(s).

AR ignores the first/last 5 frames of a rip to allow for any samples lost by offset correction.
korth

Re: Accurate Burn of Audio CDs

Reply #2
Thank you very much for your help.

I have to correct my conclusion about recorder #2 though:
I tested a third recorder (HP DH16ABSH, read offset +6 samples) to find out that it also created binary non-identical files. I had both "faulty" recorders connected with an USB to SATA adapter to the computer. After attaching the HP directly to the mainboard's SATA controller the resulting CDR was perfect (except for an offset of -6 samples).  Alas, I have no idea why the USB-SATA connection only had problems when writing - reading was not an issue.
So, with a combined read/write offset of 0 I should be able to create an AR-perfect copy now...